Allegan County Schools
1907 History of Allegan County, Michigan Illustrated
the Editorial Supervison of
Dr. Henry F. Thomas
ALLEGAN VILLAGE SCHOOLS
Allegan did not have the first
school in the county, but education began as soon as the first considerable group
of settlers had located here. A school term was held by a Miss Hinsdale, of Kalamazoo
county, in 1835, and in 1836 the district was organized and the first important
public building in the village was erected. A frame building of rather generous
proportions for the time, its ground dimensions being 26 by 40 feet, this schoolhouse,
which stood on the south side of Trowbridge street just east of Pine, was the first
court house and church edifice. The bell in the cucpola called the children together
in the morning, and in the evenings and during vacations it rang to summon the officers
of law to duty or called the people to town meeting or social event; while on the
Lord's dat it solemnly convoked to religious observance. The subsequent history
of this first public building i the village has been described in connection with
the account of the court house and other county buildings.
Some of the early teachers in Allegan besides
Miss Hinsdale, were Miss Eliza Littlejohn, Miss Mary Parkhurst, Miss Lavia Bingham,
Spencer Marsh, G.Y. Warner, E. Parkhurst, and Harvey Munger, all well known names
in the pioneer history.
The union or graded school did not find a place in Michigan's
scheme of education until during the forties, and the Allegan union school was not
organized until 1867. In the meantime the population of the village was about 2,000,
and several institutions had been established to supplement the work of the district
school. One was the Allegan Academy, organized in 1846, and conducted for several
years by Elisha B. Bassett, a man of thorough education and ability, who is also
known through his connection with other phases of the county's history.
Most noted of these schools was Pine Grove
Seminary, which was built in 1857 by Judge H.H. Booth, in his time one of the most
liberal and public-spirited men of Allegan. He donated the use of this building
to teachers who would maintain a school of primary and academic grade. Rev. L.F.
Waldo was one of the teachers who used it for this purpose. The structure stood
in a pine grove, whence its name, on the eminence where the high school is now located.
When the movement to organize a union school took shape, Judge Booth sold the building
to the school district, and it served for a number of years as the central school
of the village. It was a frame building, containing six rooms.
Twenty-five years ago the public school
buildings in Allegan were the following: The Central School, which was the old seminary
building; the north school, on Race street opposite Water street; the west ward
school, occupying the campus with the Central school; and the south ward school,
near Fifth and Bond streets. The three smaller buildings, each containing two rooms,
were of brick.
Since then have been added two excellent modern buildings to the school architecture
of Allegan. The high school building, on the hill where the old Central school stood,
is a two-story brick building, with good equipment and accommodations for the older
pupils, while the Dawson building contains besides the rooms for the grades, an
auditorium seating several hundred persons and used for many public purposes, meetings
The list of superintendents from the organization of the union
school to the present are:
1867-68 - William H. Stone
1868-71 - Silas Wood
1871-74 - Albert Jennings
1874-77 - Daniel P. Simmons
1877-81 - Edmund D. Barry
1881-82 - W.E. Bellows
1882-83 - Margaret Morton
1883-87 - W.B. Garvin
1887-88 - W.L. Lawrence
1888-90 - H.A. Simonds
1890-92 - E.N. Brown
1892-94 - Mr. Wixon
1894-95 - W.H. Coburn
1895- - H.W. McIntosh
The graduates of the Allegan high school,
named by years of graduation below, are 386 in number. Many of them are well known
and influential people both at home and abroad.
1876 - Isabel V. Partridge, Eliza Williams,
Isabel M. Barclay, Hattie S. Smith, Minnie B. Franks, Lizzie Eager, Chas. Wilkes,
Frank B. Lay, Chas. F. Bingham.
1877 - Will Oliver, Kate Dreher, Lizzie Smith.
1878 - Mary Smith
1879 - Dora Chaffee, Della Town, Lillian
Grimes, Luella Scott, Leon Chichester, Theodore Williams.
1880 - Nellie Coleman, Tinnie Chaffee, Jennie
Whitmore, Will L. Edmunds, Burtis Wood, James A. Latta.
1881 - Delia Cook, Eva M. Dryden, M. Jennie
Mabbs, Ettie C. Colburn, A. Louise Walter, Mary E. Goodrich, Frank H. Williams,
Fred. M. Sisson.
1882 - Chas. E. Bassett, Austin A. Colburn.
1883 - Zella Leighton, Ella Colburn, Minnie
Eisenberg, Anna Young, Ellen Hudson, Chester Wetmore.
1884 - Franc Arnold, Fred. I. Chichester,
Grace Hart, Jennie R. Latta, John A. McKeever, Alice H. Lilly, M. Gertrude Porter,
Clara B. Sherwood, Lillian Nelson, Will E. Ryan, Frank E. Semon.
1885 - Guy Burton, Florence Lonsbury, Pearl
Town, Bertha Pritchard, Rubie Sherwood, Minnie Bucher, Wolcot Butler, Kate Whitmore,
Myron Moore, Isabel Stegeman.
1886 - Nettie N. Blackman, Augustus S. Butler, Tillie Waddell,
Alfred Calkins, Jessie Thew, Bessie Bell Thew, Oscar Swift, Mabel Dunn.
1887 - Edith Foster, Maud Howe, Chas. Calkins,
Lavinda Nichols, Florence H. Pope.
1888 - Lulu H. Williams, May B. Starr, Bess Wetmore, Adah M.
Giles, Fannie E. Giles, Will Saunders, Flora E. Williams, Selia A. Ryan.
1889 - Alice Bingham, Kate Murphy, Nellie
Van Middlesworth, Emma Knapp, Lizzie Madison, Perl Chaffee, Agnes Ingerson.
1890 - Mary Coney, Ina Bailey, Maud Powers,
Kittie Wells, Dora Bailey, Nina Carter, Della Youngs, Rebecca Spears, William De
Lano, Grace Williams, Frank Giles, William Coburn.
1891 - N. Ella Van Aiken, Lenora Porter,
Nettie Bigelow, Fred P. Austin, Nellie Smith, Hettie Spraw, Mina Rumery, Marion
Cook, Belle Buyce, Dwight Calkins, Will Follett, Alexander Heringer.
1892 - Ira Montague, Eva O. Cook, Florence
Leweke, Maud Nelson, Orrel Grigsby, Hattie Weeks, Cora Howe, Adah McLaughlin, Ina
Moore, Fred Coney, Elwin Spears, Samuel Stegeman, Edna Town, Mary Hirner.
1893 - Mary Robinson, Adah Hoffman, Maud
Lonsbury, Mabel A. Cackler, John W. Arnold, Morris E. Harvey.
1894 - Alvie Weeks, Nellie Coney, E. Estella
Oliver, Eva Philips, Grant Goodrich, N. Mae Burton, Clifford Manwaring, Anna Wilson,
Mary Wilson, Judson Baker, Orcena Luade Spears, Mame Bailey, Bernath Sherwood.
1895 - Agnes Langshaw, Edith Perrigo, Howard
Stuch, Aban Weeks, John Bills, Floyd Fuller, Clayton Hoffman, Chas. Spafford, Mae
McKinnon, Rena Schuman, Jessie Smith, Minnie Smith, Bernie Woodworth.
1896 - Harlan Lindsley, Hiram Cornell Clapp,
Ned Bassett Killian, Albert A. Stegeman, Belle Lewis Barton, Roie C. Seerey, George
Stegeman, Park Whitmore, Leon B. Stratton, Clarence Billings.
1897 - Clara Coykendall, Herman Priebe,
Ethel McLaughlin, Gertrude Young, Nellie Bailey, Bess Adams, Clifford Russell, Gracia
Cook, Idabelle Hullinger, Charles R. Stewart, Grace Morse, Guy Hale, Charlotte Coney,
Arcell Spears, Etta M. Hurst, M. Everett Dick, Belle M. Lidsley.
1898 - Lucy Sheffer, Agnes Sheffer, Claudia
Lowe, Glen Kent, Lizzie Campbell, Will Sawyer, Fred Sawyer, Elroy Bidwell, Bertha
Sisson, Julia Wilson, John Wilson, Harlan Wilson, Dan Arnold Killian, Frank Stegeman,
Maud Roberts, Lula Lockard, Mildred Reed, Harrison Weeks.
1899 - Roy B. Fairfield, Elisabeth May Streeter,
Niel L. Goodrich, Chas. W. Hullinger, William A. Peck, Walter H. Bidwell, Elsie
Orr, Fred Hanchett, Paul Lidner, Flora Mary Koons, Clara Belle Gibson, Hedwig Brenner,
Ines Baker, Myrtle Knapp, Grace Louise Howe, Harriette Esther Cook, Novie Iven Lonsbury,
James A. Butrick, Roy L. Adams, Myrtle L. Perrigo, Nellie Coykendall, Emeline Ruth
Coney, Myrnie E. Malloy, Mame E. Malloy.
1900 - Laura May Fouch, Hugh S. Calkins,
Will L. Davis, N. Fern Haynes, Ethel H. Kickok, Alice Ida Liechts, A. Pearl Lilly,
Amah A. Nichols, Dessie Priest, Lena B. Sawyer, Bernice Van Kuren, Hazel Van Ostrand,
- Charlotte Smith, Ada Coney, Glenn DeLano, Louise DeLano, Bessie Hicks, Edith Barnes,
John Bidwell, Anna Newell, Maggie Wynne, Margaret Arnold, George Horan, Lizzie Moon,
Frank Peck, Bertha Mead, Ada Wager, Wayne Stuch, Ethel Langashaw, Clarence Smith,
1902 - Harriett Barrett, Florence Barrett, Mabelle Elenger, Bruce Leighton, Scott
Lilly, Amy Lowe, A. Lorraine Oliver, Lura Patrick, Bertha Nuger, Harold Weeks, Elden
Soper, George Barney, Grover Tripp, Edwin E. Allett, Jessie McKinnon, Lotie Moon,
Harvey Buck, Arthur Maskey, Clara Post, Joseph Griffith, Harold Fritz.
1903 - Matie Blaisdell, Bessie Brown, Ruby
Buck, Grace Clock, Harlow Clock, Margaret Campbell, Earl DeLano, Harold Fish, Harry
Griffith, Edward Horan, William Kennedy, Maud Maxfield, Altine McKee, Ethel Miner,
Fred Moore, Louise Nelson, May Perrigo, Maurice Post, Clara Smith, Frances Sterling,
Bess Torrey, Alice Van Henlen, Laura Wise, John LaDue.
1904 - Clinton Mark Walter, Francina J.
Slaghuis, Marion Almira Bills, Nellie Mary Stratton, Hazella Letta Cook, Gertrude
Louise Nichols, Eva M. Clock, Clare D. Wilbur, Chas. F. Weeks, Russell C. Furber,
Elsie Pauline Gitchel, Kittie Bell Nelson, Margaret Netah Barrett, Mary A. Wilson,
Grace Louise Williams, Chas. H. Freyer, Roy E. Gibson, Richard B. Van Dusen, Edwy
B. Ried, Ray Perrigo, Laura Engle, Grace E. Miner, Bessie M. Barber, Grace Coney,
Herbert A. Wood, George F. Wilson, V. Pearl McAlpine, Bessie May Kidwell, Rachel
- Floyd Holland, Edmund M. Cook, George Updyke, Dana C. Post, Vernice E. DeWright,
Harry Lee Barnum, Edna A. Schuman, Nina E. Wynne, Charles DeLano, Otto J. Armstrong,
Claude Firestone, Dolly Gibson, Clyde Smith, Fred Bradt, Matilda Swanty, Avis Calkins,
Florence C. Kolvoord, Hollis Baker, Anna J. Koons, Eugene Nash, Gertrude Strabbing,
J. Ford Stratton, Pearle Bracelin, Reine Conway.
1906 - Floreine May Barrett, Emma Irene
Priebe, Will George Cooper, John A. Sommers, Gertrude W. Slaghuis, Lilly B. Dannenberg,
Pansy May Lemoin, Elizabeth J. Wearne, Pearl Julia Kolloff, Leon A. Kolvoord, Clarence
W. Messenger, W. Clare Fear, George F. DeLano, Guy E. Fairfield, Gertrude H. Langshaw,
Emily Seymore Wise, Grace B. Thompson, Lida Calkins, Bernice E. Morgan, Claude V.A.
Whitbeck, Mabel F. Sackeiter, MIldren M. Fish, Florence Augusta Ried, Winifred B.
Holmes, Alice P. Cook, Charles E. Stone.
The history of the educational facilities
of this village go back to the spring of 1834, when the first schoolhouse for the
Gun Plains neighborhood was built on section 20. A log structure, such as was common
at the time, this "Gun Plains schoolhouse" was the meeting place for the
early Baptists and Congregationalists as well as the first educational center. Miss
Sabra Ives, who afterwards married Dr. L. B. Coates, the first schoolmaster and
long a prominent citizen of Otsego, taught the first term of school, the first teacher
employed being unable to carry on her duties on account of illness.
When the school system, elsewhere described.
was formulated by the first state government, the school commissioners elected for
the township in 1837 met in September of that year and divided the town into nine
districts. Districts 2 and 3, which were consolidated in February, 1841, as district
No. 2, contained originally the territory embracing the present village corporation,
namely, sections 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33. For several years the school population
in this area was found on the north side of the river, and in 1838 the apportionment
of school money was made to only ten children of school age in this district. At
the same time there were nineteen school children in district No. 4, in which was
located the old Gun Plains schoolhouse, while in district No. 1, in the Silver Creek
neighborhood, were twenty-three of school age. District No. 2 had twenty-five pupils
in 1843, which showed a relatively larger increase than in the adjoiing districts
The first red schoolhouse was built about 1843, and stood where
Dr. Woolsey's house now stands. It was a small frame struture used for schools during
the week, for religious services on Sunday, and publi meetings, such as singing-schools,
spelling-schools and school-meetings on appointed evenings. Some time about 1855
the white school house, then a one story building, was constructed, and the old
red building was moved down Allegan street, and still exists as a part of the house
owned by Mrs. George A. Brown. The Junction, as it was then called, grew so rapidly
that in the late fifties or early sixties a second story was added to the white
building, and two departments were organized. In 1867 the small building now used
for office at the Dewey livery barn, was built beside the white building for the
primary pupils and there existed the primary, intermediate and grammar departments.
In two more years the intermediate was divided and a grade was seated in a room
of the present opera house.
After much deliberation and frequent calls for special school
meetings the present brick building in the southeast part of the village was completed
and occupied in September of 1870. The south projection was extended in the year
1886, the amount of contract being $1,574.28. It seemed then that there would be
sufficient room for years to come, but at this writing the demand is "more
room." The present valuation of the school property is $20,000. Leading citizens
whose names appear in the records are Giles Sherwood, J.W. Hicks, George Mills,
J.V. Rogers, George H. Anderson, A.H. Hill, N.P. Kellogg and O.J. Woodard. It is
a matter of interest to find the records full and carefully recorded during the
administration of Mr. Woodard, he having been continued on the board for twenty-seven
No. 2 was organized under a board of trustees into a graded school by vote at the
regular school meeting of September 7, 1868. There were then three departments.
The high school had its beginnings in 1869, under the tuition of Miss May Wright.
Some of the older citizens recall with pleasure
the names of early teachers, among them Orlena Beebe and his spelling school, George
Brainard, Mahala Murphy, Edward Phetteplace, a brother of Mrs. Noble Sherwood; of
his sister Sarah, now Mrs. Sarah Thiers, of Mt. Pleasant; Miss Mary Woodhams, now
Mrs. W.H. Rouse, of California. The superintendents have been May Wright, E.W. Thmpson,
N.A. Barrett, W.W. Cole, L.W. Mills, L.E. Ireland from '79 to '91, G.E. Rogers,
C.H. Norton, H.C. Daley and E.C. Hambleton. J.W. Hicks, Miss Louise Chamberlain
and Miss Lou Kennicott were principals before the high school was organized.
The position of preceptress has been filled
by the Misses Chart, Stoughton, Hall from '78-'91, Mrs. Jennie K. Hill, Harriett
MacKenzie, V. Blanche Graham, Adah M. Spalding and Elsie Cooper.
In the grades many of the home girls have
been employed at different times - some of them are still residents - Mesdames Julia
Arnold, E.J. Anderson, W.W. Woodhams, F.F. Patterson, Lizzie Gilkey, Frank P. Heath,
M.H. Granger and W.E. Forbes. The names of Mrs. Burton and Julia Dibble could not
be omitted - neither can one forget the influence of the departed Mattie VanHorn,
Mary Hatfield Warrant, Libbie Conine and Dolly Messick Pursel.
Music as a science has been taught since
1891. Miss Briggs was the first teacher, Miss Bingham organized the ladies quartette,
Miss Daisy Soule tuahgt with inspiring zeal, and Miss Lida Sprau continues the work.
In all the years three hundred and twenty
have gone out as graduates. The first was a class of five: Charles Hyde, Susie Warrant,
Carrie Hatfield Wright, Mattie VanHorn and Mary Hatfield Warrant. In the smallest,
class of '74, were Effie Hyde Lewis and Harvey Warrant. The largest class, twenty-nine
in number, finished in 1903. Charles Hyde is a practicing physician in Lenawee county,
Clemma Woodard Barber was a Bible student and conducted a large correspondence class
for several years, Will Hawks is a superintendent of schools, John S. and W.H. Madden
are journalists, George Hopkins a judge of probate in Kalamazoo county, and Dwight
B. Waldo is president of the State Normal at Kalamazoo. Our citizens may justly
be proud of the work accomplished by district No. 2. It has honored representatives
in all the walks of life and their success is gratifying.
There is no more popular social function
in Plainwell than the annual meeting of the alumni of the Plainwell High School.
The association was organized in 1892.
The school library has grown from six volumes,
the remains of the old township library, to more than six hundred volumes. The Plainwell
high school stands on the approved lists of the State Normal and the University
and graduates are admitted without examination.
PLAINWELL HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
1873 - Chas. Hyde, Carrie Hatfield Wright,
Mary Hatfield Warrant, Mattie Van Horn, Susie Warrant
1874 - Effie Hyde Lewis, Harvey Warrant
1875 - Belle Barrett Lilly, Dollie Mesick
Pursel, Clemma Woodard Barber, Delmer Woodard
1876 - Georgia Bailey Linton, Libbie Hatfield,
William Hatfield, Eda McKay Hubbard, David B. McMartin, Emma Seeley Hicks
1877 - Laura Chambers Pratt, Ella Griffin
Fowle, Mary Keeler Dunham, James Rogers
1878 - George Hopkins, Kittie Montieth McLeod,
Addison Pengelly, Arthur Roberts, Jennie Sherman Merriman
1879 - Georgia Bush Madden, Florence Elms,
Mabel Hatfield Marsh, Mabel Knapp, Anna Marsh Perkins, Ella Surdam DesAutels, Alva
Thompson, Dwight Waldo
1880 - Marion Granger, Will Hawkes, Grace Marsh, Chas. E. Monroe,
Cora Shepard Granger, Della Siddall Pierce
1881 - Sophia LInton, John S. Madden, Fred
Mesick, Belle Winter Howe
1882 - Annie Brush Flanigan, Alice Buchannan Heath, John Conrad,
Cora Hill, Dora Montieth, Kittie Scott Eesley, Mittie Smith Henry
1883 - Elizabth Conine, Maud Bristol Owen,
Louie Copp Hook, Ida Chamberlain Fletcher, Nettie King Williams, Lizzie McMartin
Anderson, Lenora McKay Temple, Jessie Roberts Orcutt, Addie Siddall Marshall, Ella
Scott Walker, Nettie Sherwood Scott, Claribel Stiff White
1884 - Fred Bliss, Nettie Brown Johnson,
Emma Bussard, Clara Carpenter Peschmann, Eddie Farr, Fred Heath, Jennie Lindsey
Wells, Maggie Montieth Harper, Mamie Montieth English, Lois Southwick, Mamie Talbot
1885 - Mary
Buxton Bliss, Herbert Brown, Carl Copp, Nora Heath Blackmore, Laura Hill, Ernest
Hawkes, Jesse Johnson, Ella Spencer Murray, John Tomlinson, Lillie Woodhams Price
1886 - Jennie Bean Skillman, Nelson Beers,
Kate Crispe, Eva Conine Hawkes, Nellie Dunham Porteous, Mattie Fourmbum Crispe,
Nannie Gilmore, Alice Hanna Vosburg, Hattie Ives, Alida McAllister Allen, Cleo Tomlinson
Garrison, Effie Madden Brown
1887 - Frank Bean, Sarah Beadle Longyear, Ada Curtis Barth,
Lilla Donovan Murray, Minnie Eldred Mapes, Myrtie Ferguson Marshall, Bertha Grable
Bicknell, Flo Scott Harwood, Ernest Owen, Rowland Lucius Soule
1888 - Mary Chart, Nettie Carruthers Carruthers
[sic], Rose Evart, Minnie Handy Hopper, Nettie Scott Keyes, Dee Storms
1889 - Bessie Hopkins, Clair Jackson, Beulah
Marshall Ross, Walter Palmer, Bert Platt, Caldwell Price, Daisy E. Soule Hugo, Ray
White, Ida Whitcomb Williams, Clark Wheeler
1890 - Lottie Anderson, Inez Chart, Anna
English Taylor, Laura Graham, Lora McAllister Earl, Edna Poore Graves
1891 - Thorne Earle, Lottie Cressey, Lalia
Cressey Summers, Alla Hoyt Brown, Carl Jones, Della Kahler Spencer, Olive Kronk
Moody, Charles Palmer, Ray Schoonmaker, Marshall Warwick
1892 - Sada Bellingham Dunwell, Otis Earl,
Alice Hyder Trites, Anna Kahler, Bernice Lewis, Ellis G. Soule
1893 - Marian Brooks Mathers, Ethelyn Clancey
McGee, Katherine Eldred Sinclair, Curtis Gilkey, Sada Howard Soule, Edith Johnson,
Cora Mussulman, Belle Warrant
1894 - Carrie Anway, Alberta Brown, Phebe Clendenen Chamberlain,
Lee Gray, Frank Hitchcock, Harry Irland, Burton Peer, Jennie R. Scales, Edith Wilson,
1895 - L. Carl Anderson, Harold Arnold, William S. Forbes,
Bertha Howard Cheever, Alice Harroun Wells, Mattie Hill, Grace Harroun McElroy,
Lulu Keiser, Cloe Kahler Woodhams, Ethel Wilson Stout, Martha Walton Dart, Grace
Walton, Edward Woodhams
1896 - Lee Clancey, William Knorr, Rena Lasher, William Purdy,
1897 - Katie Eldred Johnson, Blanche Kreigbaum, Ray Palmer,
- May Billings Burchett, Myrtle Clenden Meister, Charlotte Fenner, Charles Lasher,
William H. Madden, Wilbur Chamberlain, Cora Finch, William Jackson, Helen Murphy
Fairbanks, Beth Scales
1899 - Bessie Anderson Gilleland, Fred Birchard, George Gilkey,
Lillian Harwood, Pearl Hayes Spaeth, Alice Howard, Alfred E. Madden, Laura Thompson,
Lura Warner Avery, Edith Whitcomb, Marie Bean Birchard, Harry Crosby, Clare Granger,
Adah Hawley, John Hogan, Lucille Irland, Elizabeth Murphy, Grace Travis, Harold
Bertha Blakely, Ray Bliss, Bernice DeLano Payne, Rudolph Gilkey, Will Hancock, Charles
Jackson, Cora Pell, Maud Stout Harrison, George Thompson, Mildred Wilson Drew, Edward
Walton, Lee Bliss, Wirt Cook, John Goldsmith, May Housel, Lee Hubbard, Mina Nelson,
Irving Palmer, Gertrude Squier May, Anna Thompson, Pearl Wheater Evans, Charles
Leila Arnold, Evah Brown, Alice Chart, Bert Honeywell, Ernest Hoyt, Grace Miner
Freeman, Fred Nelson, Athelia Phillips, Winifred Scales, George Shand, Arthur Brown,
Bertha Brest, Marguerite Gilkey, Mabel Hamilton, Della Hooper, Evelyn Neelley, Floy
Potter, Minnie Rollins Hall, Alva Stamp
1902 - Maud Armstrong, Louise Bryant, Louise
Bovile Johnson, Margaret Benedict, Guy Bliss, Gertrude Carpenter Stuck, Mary Goss
Fritts, Lindsay R. Goss, William Y. Gilkey, Kathryn Granger, Dale Huntley, Lou Ingraham,
Henry A. Kelley, Mary Madden Goss, Nina Madden Bullard, Nellie McMartin, Frank J.
McMichael, Myrtle Root Pell, Adelaide Stearns, Olin H. Stuck, Cora Theobald, Harry
C. Walton, Clarence Walton
1903 - Fern Abrams, Heber Bingham, Olive Brigham, Cleo Brown
Jackson, Thomas Carroll, Frank Campbell, Hoyt Dunwell, Fred Granger, William Graham,
Roy Heath, Lulu Hitchcock, Cleo Hoyt, Homer Hoyt, Clara Hooper Haas, Hazel Kahler,
Charles Kester, Fannie Kester, Starr Lasher, Lala McMartin, Anna Murphy, Verne Shand,
Dorothy Thompson, JOhn Walker, Clare Wagner, Beatrice Warrant, Grace Warner, Marcia
Warner, Walter Wheater, Glenn Williams
1904 - Edith Boman Scribner, Le Roy Brown,
Frank M. Bowman, Clara Belle Emery, Julian Elton Gilkey, Bess C. Hall, Margie Hyder,
Ernest Jackson, Clark D. Mason, Marian B. Monroe, Bernard C. Roberts, Myrtice Skinner,
Lonzella Theobald, Rubie Williams
1905 - Allen Bingham, Mabel Butler, Clarence Collister, Louise
Fisher, Frank Hale, Guy V. Howe, Theda Hooper, Hazel McRoberts, Edith Patterson,
Mabel Rix, Marion Sherwood, Karl Shultes, Miriam Wheater
1906 - Charles E. Campbell, Fannie E. Denning,
Job C. Estes, Ina C. Estes, Catherine O. Goss, Charlotte May Herbert, Ruby L. Hicks,
Cleo May Hill, Carolyn May Hicks, Jessie Hollands, Jay E. McCall, Clyde D. McCall,
John D. McMartin, Edward R. Negus, Sarah C. Webster, Lois Lapham Warrant, Bernice
J. Wenham, Bernice C. Warner, Clarence L. White
In 1838 there was only one organized district
in all the region of Newark township, with forty-two pupils of school age. In that
year ninety dollars was raised for building a schoolhouse. In the following year
five hundred dollars was appropriated for bulding a schoolhouse. A private school,
attended by five pupils, is mentioned in that year. The first school in the vicinity
is said to have been a private school, held near Singapore. By 1840 three districts
were organized in the township, of which district No. 2 eventually became limited
to comprise the territory of Saugatuck village.
At a school meeting September 3, 1866, it
was resolved to grade district No. 2. Bonds to the amount of four thousand dollars
were issued to pay for a new schoolhouse. Thus Saugatuck was one of the first villages
of the county to have a graded school. The first board of trustees for the graded
district were: James G. Williams, moderator; Geo. E. Dunn, director; Frank B. Stockbridge,
assessor, and Samuel JOhnson, Warren Cook, H.H. Stimson. Dr. Stimson, the last named,
is still living and one of the very oldest residents of the village and vicinity.
Clara Stimpson and Mary Porter were hired to teach the first term.
August, 1867, R. Barnard was hired as principal
and continued until 1872. His successors have been: W.L. Swan, 1872; W.P. Sutton,
1875; G.W. Bellows, 1878; Ida Shotwell, 1881; E.G. Trowbridge, 1882; James Warnock,
1892; E.H. Calhoun, 1896; P.A. Latta, 1897 to the present time. Mr. Latta is one
of the strongest, as he is perhaps the oldest of Allegan county's educators. He
has been engaged in school work almost continuously for forty years.
The old school building, together with a
ward school, was in use for thirty years. In September, 1896, district No. 2 voted
a five thousand dollar bond issue, the bonds payable at intervals through eight
years. A bid of six thousand two hundred and thirty-two dollars for construction
of a two-story brick building was accepted and has been in use since the summer
record of graduates of the high school has been taken from the alumni book, there
being no list of graduates in the official records of the school officers:
GRADUATES OF THE HIGH SCHOOL, SAUGATUCK
1878 - Maria Newnham, Grace Taylor
1880 - Abbie Wheeler, Jessie House, Anna
Minnie Breuckman, Clara Elliott
1890 - John Nies
1891 - Grace Baudle, Josie Simonson, Grace
Halverson, Mary Hirner, Josie Goshorn
1892 - Louisa Lundgren, William Baker, William
Dole, Belle Smith, William Smith, Mattie Hames, Minnie Reid, Clyde Reid, Myrtle
Allen, George Knowles, Rena Ames, Rosina Perry, Cora Hollister, Charles Knowles,
Winnie Cummings, James Smead, Lena Randall
1893 - Mae Francis, Gilbert Pride, Mae Naughtin,
Emma Randall, Archie Pierce, Gertrude Shriver, Ray Nies
1894 - Oscar Wiley, Lanus Swemer, Anna Haut,
Mattie Dole, Harry Bird, Susie Tisdale, Mamie Lundgren, Winnie Dole, Nellie Van
Leuin, George Pride, Mabel Colf, Lizzie Nysson
1895 - Allan Falconer, Arthur Williams,
Carrie Inderbitzin, Ethel Sutton
1896 - Joseph Swemer, Harry Newcomb, John Schumaker, Pearl
Phelps, Jason Dick, Bessie Bandle, Bina Annesley, Edith Brown
1899 - Harry Oleson, Murba Greenlees, James
Koning, Amelia Shriver, Mattie Simonson, Herman Simonson
1900 - William Tisdale, Edward Winslow,
Elsie Vork, Florence Updyke, Gussie Barber, Russell Knox, Laura Miller, Charlie
Upham, Bessie Newnham, Mae Belle Haywood, Blanche Baudel, Arie Koning, Ethel Baker,
Ella Brown, Worth Durham
1901 - Clarence Winslow, Robert Oleson, John Blink, Jennie
Veits, Olive Ludwig, Louisa Walz, Mattie Hirner, Marie Upham, Faith Kirby, Ethel
Winslow, Lottie Hancock, Mamie Schumaker, Florence Miller, Howard Coates, Louis
Knox, Clarence Halverson
1902 - Jessie Veits, Ellsworth Ellis, Eldon Dick, Josephine
Walberg, Louise Johns, Anna Oleson, Stella Dailey, Mildred Ireland
1903 - Margaret Coxford, Pearl Heuer, Blanche
McGregor, Bessie Wilson, Edith Leland, Eva Lundgren, Julia Shriver, Jennie Vork,
Edith Brown, Bessie Riley, Theodore Hoffman, George Bradley, Arthur Reynolds
1904 - Frank Wade, Blanche Lamreauz, Bessie
Smalley, Fannie Dailey, Marie Walz, Lizzie Schumaker, Pearl Olsen, Adelaide Wade,
Julia McIntosh, Anna Garton, Milton Coates, Grace Haberer, Bertha Weed, Mona Jones,
Lucina Taylor, Mack Atwater, Eva Haberer, Charles Atwater, Lizzie Dreher
1905 - MacLean Babcock, Lottie Force, Edna
Oleson, Maud Johns, Frances Garton, Jessie St. Johns, Gladys Rapalee, Edward Burdick,
Edna Link, Mabel Wilson, Mary Randall, Nita Fort, Irene Kingsbury, Frank Johns,
Eileen Manning, Myron Heath, Estelle Heath, Edward Redpath, Ellsworth Lundgren,
Anna Burch, Faye Meade, Sarah Tisdale
1906 - Chris Walz, Dorothy Dailey, Jessie
Crow, Cornelia Koning, Alfaretta Smalley, Frank Smith, Charles Gilman, Alta Arens,
Leon Chase, Marie Schaberg, Julia Brittian, Helen Erikson, Lizzie Dorman, Lois Helm,
Robert Goodwin, Dawn Meade, Dora Wentzel
In 1898 fractional district No. 2, of Manlius,
was organized for high school work. Up to that time the old building west of the
village had served as the school home, but in that year a new brick building was
erected in the village on the north side of Main street, and the old structure abandoned.
The high school has been brought to rank with the schools of the other villages
in the county. The principals and graduates from 1898 to the present time are as
W.G. Loomis, Prin.: Floyd Loomis, Millie Turrel, Lee Robinson, Robert Collins, Gertrude
Barry, Calvin Wilcox
1900 - C.F. Bacon, Prin.; Bessie Bale, Harry Hutchins, Carrie
Hurlburt, Blanche Billings, Louise Smeed
1902 - L.W. Bacon, Prin.; Leon French, Robert
Day, Bul Kibby, Ethel Crane, Roy Fisher, Gertrude Fisher, Laura Young, Gladys Chapman,
Grace Thome, Ivy Barber, Zelda Barrow, Ruby Wightman, Anna Owens,Hattie Knowlton
1903 - L.Q. Martin, Prin.; Hattie Truax,
Harvey Adams, Leo Swartz, John McCormick (dead), Isabelle Thome, Lillian Arnold,
Carol Walters, Laura Hutchins, Wm. Hoover, Eugene Mann, Oliver Henderson, Everard
Leland, Clarissa Hurlburt, Flossy Taylor, Eva Paine, Russell Wightman
1904 - L.Q. Martin, Prin.; Grace McCartney,
Nellie Grant, Mary Peterson, Belva McCormick, George Whitney
1905 - L.Q. Martin, Prin.; Chas Reid, Lee
Hutchins, Serene Chase, Mildred Watson, Blanche Stauffer, Tressa Orther, Mary Geske,
Belle Silcox, Hattie Johnson, Alice Baron
1906 - W.E. Sheehan, Prin.; Florence Mead,
Lelah Frye, Fern Green, Alfa Pearle
Burnip's Corners district school was organized
in 1856 and the school building, or log house, was erected at Salem Center. In 1876
a new frame building was erected one-quarter of a mile north of Salem Center in
what is known as Burnip's Corners. The present two-room brick building was erected
at a cost of three thousand dollars in 1886.
The school was organized into a graded school
of ten grades in 1886, with Eugene Gregory as first principal. The principals to
date as follows: Eugene Gregory, 1886-1887; A.J. Dan, 1887-1891; Chas. Bacon, 1891-1895;
L.B. Plummer, 1895-1897; Frank Brown, 1897-1898; F.M. Cosner, 1898-1900; Malcolm
Smith, 1900 to 1903; Ralph Sprague, 1903 to 1904; Ira J. Arehart, 1904 to present
commencement exercises were held in 1890. There has been a class each year since,
with two exceptions, namely, 1894 and 1898. The following is a list of graduates
- Minnie D. Binley, Norman L. Bond, Lewis Van Wormer, E. Joy Heck, H. Otis Jones,
and Gerrit Masselink
1891 - Eleroy A. Smith, Herman A. Rigterink, Roxy Stauffer,
Charles R. Newell, Minnie Hardy, John W. Rigterink
1892 - Henry A. Dibble, Benjamink F. Masselink,
and Geo. H. Rigterink
1893 - Frank Smith, Francis Goodmann, Dirk Lanting, Arthur
Winegar, Garrit Walcott, Bertha Loew, and Nettie Sebright
1895 - Fred Loew, Theodore Long, May Roberts,
- Oker Gordon, Flossie Heck, Viola Heasley, Iva Hardy, Floy Sprau
1897 - Norman Buege, Loren Heasley, Carl
Green, Perry Fleetwood, Imogene Burt, Henry Rigterink
1899 - George Brower, George R. Newell,
- Harry W. Davis, G. Elmer Smith, L. Maud Brady, Grace A. Brady, Huldah C. Heasley,
Lulu M. Newell, William Fleser, Flora H. Raab, Tillie M. Slagle
1901 - Maud Strang, Louisa Ritz, Estela
Zimmerman, Jennie Long, Ernest Wells
1902 - G. Carl Roberts, Adam A. Sebright,
Edythe M. Loomis, Ida M. Newell, H. Faithe Brady, Flossie P. Loew
1903 - Albert A. Riddering, Oscar P. Raab,
Arthur A. Buege, Gertrude I. Heasley, Lulu Cronkhite
1904 - Nellie de Jongh, Leafy Mesick, Gladys
Hardy, John Vander Bosch, Claud Sturgis, Maud Enos, Glenn Gordon, Orah Leweke, George
Claus, Winifred Bear, Peter Giebe, Lydia Buege, George Davis, Laura Raab, George
1905 - Bessie
Newell, Lemuel Brady, John De Jongh
1906 - Hallie Sprau, Mary L. Beck, G. Ray Sturgis, Clara Baker,
Martin Van Duine
The curriculum comprises ten grades, the number of teachers
is two, and the number of pupils one hundred ten.
The Wayland graded schools have developed,
as other such schools in the county, from the district system. When the township
was divided into school districts in 1844, district No. 2 was made to contain the
entire northwest corner of the township, namely, sections, 5,6,7,8,17,18,19,20.
The log house previously inhabited by Nelson Chambers, located at Chambers Corners,
within the limits of the present village of Wayland, was converted into the first
schoolhouse. Miss Belinda Eldred (later the wife of Ebenezer Wilder of Martin; her
death occurred July 2, 1905) taught a summer term in 1844, among her twelve scholars
being children of Nelson Chambers, Joseph Heydenberk and John Parsons. District
No. 3, comprising a large part of the south side of the township, had much the greater
number of school children, in the fall of 1848 having forty-six against sixteen
in district No. 2. There were twenty scholars in the latter district in 1850.
The next school was the little red schoolhouse
built about 1850. Its size was about sixteen by twenty feet, with desks on either
side and long benches made stationary for seats and was capable of seating about
twenty scholars. This was at a time when those that sent children to school had
to pay their tuition and when the teachers received for their services about three
dollars per week and waited for their pay until the end of the term. The teachers
made what was called a rate bill or an assessment roll and the parents paid a ratable
proportion of the teacher's wages according to the number of children sent to school,
and it was the duty of the teacher to make collections. The parents also had to
furnish their proportion of wood needed to warm the schoolhouse. Among the early
teachers were Mary West, Amanda J. Chambers, Margaret Mosher, Augusta K. Harrison
(now Augusta K. Hunter), Addie McMartin (now Mrs. Addie E. Hoyt). After 1862 the
following persons were among the teachers: Emily Chambers, William Mason, Otis Parsons,
Cornelia Chambers, Mary J. McMartin (now Mary J. Clark), Deborah Parsons, Ida Loomis,
Mary Beach, Fannie Coleman, Minnie Everson, E.W. Pickett, E.S. Linsley, Samuel Hendricks,
E. Congdon, George Gable, Ed Gene Arnold and James W. Humphrey. Mr. Humphrey began
teaching in the Wayland school in 1877, and it was through his influence that the
school was graded, when the new brick school house was first occupied in 1879. This
building was burned in 1896 and was replaced during the same year by the one now
in use. In 1883 Mr. Humphrey succeeded in establishing a Normal class which lasted
as long as he had charge of the school. When he began teaching there were only three
teachers employed, but before he finished his work there were five. He left after
ten years' successful work to take a position in Hope College at Holland. The teachers
associated with him were Ellen Clark, Elva Clar, Jettie Buskirk, Ellen M. Carner,
Nettie Conrad, Hattie Wallbrecht, Estella Rathburn, Metta Rawson, Libbie Sooy, Mary
Hayes, Lucy Avery, Franc Smith and Jessie Hoyt.
The principals following Mr. Humphrey were
A.C. Roberts, William McNamera, E.M. Vroman (for nine years), W.G. Glazier and Charles
W. Appleton, since 1902.
The present school building is a fine two-story brick structure
with a large basement. It is steam heated, well lighted, ventilated and furnished.
Besides the high school, intermediate and primary rooms there is a large recitation
room, laboratory and bookeeping room. The physical laboratory contains about $400
worth of apparatus, most of which has been added through the efforts of the present
During the past year the enrollment has been about two hundred
and forty, of which one hundred and twenty were in the high room, with about twenty-five
perent non-resident pupils. Last year the twelth grade was added to the curriculum.
The school is now on the approved list of Normal schools of the state and it is
hoped to place it on the University list in the near future.
To Home Page
All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked
to but not duplicated
in any fashion without my consent.
The information on
these pages is meant for personal genealogical
research only and is not for commercial
use of any type