Cass County Michigan Biographies
From The History of Cass County by Glover
WILLIS M. FARR
Willis M. Farr, a well known representative of industrial interests in Cass county now living in Dowagiac, was born at New Haven in Macomb county, Michigan, August 1, 1844. His father, Henry F. Farr, was a native of New York and in his boyhood days came to Michigan with his father, Samuel Farr, who was a pioneer of this state. The grandfather traveled westward with an ox team and located first in Macomb county, where in the midst of the forest he built a log cabin and improved a farm, giving his attention to the cultivation and development of his land up to the time of his death. Henry F. Farr was but a small lad when the family took up their abode upon the old homestead property in Macomb county and the occupation to which he was reared he made his life work, carrying on farming in that county until he, too, was called to his final rest. He married Julia Ann Clemens, a native of New York, in which state she remained until about twenty years of age, when she came to Michigan with her parents, who settled in Macomb county. There her remaining days were passed. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Farr had a family of four sons, of whom two died in infancy. The brother of our subject, M. S. Farr, is a stock raiser and ranchman of Venango, Nebraska. He there owns eleven square miles under fence in Perkins county and is one of the leading stockmen of his part of the country.
Willis M. Farr, the eldest of the four children, was reared in the place of his nativity until eighteen years of age, when he went to New York, where he spent the succeeding year in teaching school. He then returned to Michigan and attended school in Mount Clemens, after which he resumed teaching. In the spring of 1864 he went to Chicago and after tramping the streets of the city for two weeks in search of employment he secured the position of bundle boy in a wholesale and retail store. He was thus engaged for about six months, at the end of which time he responded to the country's call for aid, enlisting as a member of Company C, ement would never have succeeded. In all matters of citizenship he manifests the same loyal and patriotic spirit that characterized his service as a soldier upon the battlefields of the south.
GEORGE M. FIELDS
FIELDS, HUNT, BOND
George M. Fields, the prosecuting attorney of Cass county, is possessed of legal learning, an analytical mind and a readiness in grasping the points in an argument--qualities which combine to make him a capable lawyer of the Cass county bar. While his professional duties call him largely to Cassopolis he continues to make his home in Dowagiac. His natal day was December 14, 1868, and his birth occurred upon a farm in Ottawa county, Ohio. His father, Edward Fields, was also a native of that county and is a farmer by occupation. He still resides upon the old homestead where his entire life has been passed. His parents died when he was only ten years of age, and he then stated out in life on his own account, since which time he has been dependent entirely upon his own resources. He was a soldier of the Civil war, serving for about four years, and he lost his left arm while participating in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. He married Miss Louisa Hunt, a native of Seneca county, Ohio, who is also living. In their family were tow sons, the elder being Hosea, who is an attorney by profession but a farmer by occupation.
George M. Fields, reared upon the old family homestead, began his education in the country schools and afterward continued his studies in the high school at Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio, where he completed his course in 1889. He then engaged in teaching school for one year in the Buckeye state, after which he entered the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor for the study of law and was graduated from the law department in the class of 1893. He was then admitted to practice at Columbus, Ohio, and opened a law office in Toledo, that state, in 1894. In June, 1895, he came to Dowagiac, where he entered into partnership with Charles E. Sweet, which connection was continued for one year, since which time he has been alone in business. He was elected circuit court commissioner in 1900 and prosecuting attorney in 1902, since which time he has been re-elected, so that his is now serving for the second term. He was also city attorney of Dowagiac in 1900.
In 1895 occurred the marriage of George M. Fields and Miss Emily F. Bond, of Dowagiac, by whom he has one son, Harold B. In political affairs Mr. Fields is deeply interested, keeping well informed on the questions and issues of the day and giving his aid to every legitimate measure which he believes will promote the success of the party and thereby advance the good of the state and nation. Fraternally he is connected with the Elks Lodge, No 889 at Dowagiac, and he has personal characteristics which make him popular with his fellow townsmen, gaining for him wide friendships and favorable regard. Since locating in Dowagiac his practice has been quite extensive and of an important character and he prepares his cases with provident care and wide research.
Typed by Carol Foss
JOHN P. FIERO
John P. Fiero, having chosen agricultural pursuits as a life work, is giving his time and energies to the task of tilling the soil, caring for the crops and raising stock on section 26, Wayne township. His birth occurred in Sandusky county, Ohio, on the 1st of November, 1850, and he is the eldest in a family of three sons and three daughters whose parents were Abram and Fannie (Thorp) Fiero. The paternal grandfather, Peter Fiero, was a native of the state of New York, was of Holland Dutch descent, and spent his last days in Branch county, Michigan. The maternal grandfather, John Thorp, was also a native of the Empire state, and it was in the same state that Abram Fiero and Fannie Thorp were born. After residing for some time in Ohio they came to Cass county, Michigan, in the spring of 1853, locating in LaGrange township, where the father engaged in farming. His entire life was devoted to agricultural pursuits, and he gave to the work of the fields his undivided attention until his life's labors were ended in death, when he was sixty-six years of age. At the time of the Civil war he was a stanch advocate of the Republican party, which stood as the defender of the Union cause during that dark hour in our country's history; but later he became liberal in his political views. At one time he served as supervisor of his township and he was always active in public affairs, giving hearty support and co-operation to any movement which tended to benefit his community. In his family were three sons and three daughters, namely: John P.; Byron; William; Samantha, who died at the age of five years; and Caroline and Lucy, both of whom are deceased.
John P. Fiero was in his third year when he was brought by his parents to Michigan, and upon the home farm in LaGrange township he was reared. His early educational privileges afforded by the district schools were supplemented by study in Dowagiac and in Kalamazoo Commercial College, which he attended for seven months. He afterward engaged in clerking d in him. His activity has ever been of a practical nature crowned with results. He sees to the center of things and he sees from the center to the outermost circumference of possibility. He looks upon the world from no false position; has no untried standards and is a man of strong convictions which he earnestly maintains.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
FIERO, WEBSTER, LARZALERE, MYERS,
Byron Fiero is a prominent farmer residing on section 5, LaGrange township. His birthplace was a little log cabin in this township and his natal day September 8, 1853. His father was Abram Fiero, and the family history is given on another page in this work in connection with the sketch of John Fiero, a brother of the subject of this review.
Byron Fiero was the second child and second son in his father's family and was reared upon the old homestead farm, while in the district schools of LaGrange township he began his education, which was afterward completed in the high school of Dowagiac. Later he engaged in teaching school for seven terms, spending five terms of that time as teacher in district No. 6 and the remainder of the time in the Dewey and Maple Grove districts. When still a youth he became familiar with all the work incident to the development and cultivation of a farm, and during the greater part of his life has carried on general agricultural pursuits. He was, however, engaged for three years in the dairy business, delivering milk to Dowagiac. He has one hundred and eighty acres of land, most of which is under cultivation, and the well tilled fields return to him golden harvests for the labor that he bestows upon the land.
On the 24th of December, 1874, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Fiero and Miss Emma Webster, a daughter of Nelson and Mary Webster. She died leaving one child, Winnie, who is now the wife of Harry Larzalere, of LaGrange township. In 1888 Mr. Fiero was again married, Miss Iva Wright, a daughter of Milton and Elizabeth Myers Wright, becoming his wife. They have a pleasant home in the midst of a good farm, and its hospitality is greatly enjoyed by their many friends. Mr. Fiero was reared in the faith of the Republican party, but for some time has given his political allegiance to the Democracy. He became candidate of his party for probate judge in 1896, but lost the election by twenty-one votes. He has filled the office of township treasurer in LaGrange township for two terms, and in the discharge of all public duties has been prompt and faithful, and is deeply interested in everything pertaining to general progress and improvement. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen Camp at Dowagiac, and is well known in the county where his entire life has been passed. He has largely concentrated his efforts upon the management of his farm, and has been found reliable in business, at the same time every manifesting those traits of character which have made him best liked where best known.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
GENERAL A. M. FISH
FISH, LEUMIEN, FRASER, MEALOY, CHAPIN, PROSSER, ADKINSON
General A. M. Fish, who won the rank of brigadier-general by active field service in the Civil war and who was connected with the military interests of the country continuously from 1854 until 1870, is now living retired in Dowagiac. He made a splendid record while following the stars and stripes and he deserves the gratitude which the country feels for the "boys in blue" who stood unfalteringly in defense of the Union during the dark days of civil strife. He is one of Michigan's native sons, his birth having occurred in White Pigeon township, St. Joseph county, on the 5th of September, 1835. His father was E. T. Fish, a native of Hartford, Connecticut. Tracing the ancestry of the family back through several generations it will be noted that they have always been distinguished for valor and loyalty and that the family has been worthily represented in the various wars in which the country has participated. There were several soldiers in the Revolutionary war and also in the war of 1812, while others fought for American interests in the Mexican war and fifty members of the family served in the war of the rebellion. The family comes of Prussian ancestry. The paternal grandfather of General Fish was a major with the colonial troops in the war for independence, serving throughout the period of hostilities under the immediate command of General Washington, acting for a part of the time as one of Washington's body guards.
E. T. Fish, father of General Fish, was a drum major of the First Connecticut Volunteer Infantry in the war of 1812. He removed to St. Joseph county, Michigan, in 1834, locating on White Pigeon prairie in White Pigeon township, where he lived for about eight years, when in 1842 he came to Cass county, settling in Mason township, where he devoted his remaining days to general agricultural pursuits, his death occurring when he had reached the age of sixty-eight years. His early political allegiance was given to the Democracy, which he supported until about 1850, when he became a know-nothing. When the Republican party was formed to prevent the further extension of slavery he joined its ranks and remained one of its stalwart advocates until his demise. His wife bore the maiden name of Ruby Leumien and was a native of Bristol, Rhode Island. She was descended from French ancestry, her parents having been born in France. Eight children, four sons and four daughters, were born unto E. T. and Ruby Fish, namely: John L., who was a soldier of the Union army in the Civil war; Horace, who also became a soldier; George, who died before the war; Laura, who reached her eighty-second year, dying May 7, 1905, was the widow of Collins Fraser; Harriet, deceased; Maria, who died in Kansas in 1905; and Cynthia, the wife of Thomas J. Mealoy, of Vandalia, Cass county, Michigan, who was a soldier.
General A. M. Fish, who was the sixth child and third son in his father's family, was brought to Cass county by his parents when but seven years of age and through the succeeding decade remained upon the home farm assisting in the labors of the fields when not busy with the duties of the schoolroom or the pleasures of the playground. He received an appointment as a cadet at West Point and was graduated from the Government Military Academy in the class of 1853. He first joined the United States dragoons and was sent to Fort Kearney in Nebraska. Soon afterward he was made brevet second lieutenant and was commissioned a full second lieutenant in 1854, thus serving until 1857, when he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant and in 1859, following the resignation of various southern officers, he was promoted to the rank of captain and placed in command of Company C of the Third United States Dragoons. In 1860 he was still further promoted to the rank of major and at the outbreak of hostilities between the north and the south he was made a colonel of the volunteers, while subsequently he was promoted to the rank of brigadier-general and assigned to command of a regiment of infantry, which he commanded at the battle of Shiloh. He afterward was in command of several different regiments, being shifted from one to another and during some of the time he was serving on special detached duty on the staff of different generals. He was for a time on the staff of General Sherman and he formed the acquaintance of many of the distinguished and gallant leaders of the war. At times he commanded infantry troops and again was in charge of cavalry troops. He participated in many of the hotly contested engagements which led to the final victory, including the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, Corinth and Moscow, Tennessee, the siege of Vicksburg and the raid after General Price through Missouri. He was also in the engagement at Nashville, Tennessee, and the sieges of Mobile and Spanish Fort. He was wounded five times, at Corinth, afterward at Texas, New Mexico, Mississippi and later at Spanish Fort. He sustained a light bayonet wound at Nashville and a sword wound at Spanish Fort. This one, however, did not cause him to retire from active duty. He was in the United States service as a soldier continuously from 1854 until 1870, for when the Civil war was ended he was sent with his command to the frontier and aided in keeping peace on the western border.
At length General Fish resigned and returned to Wisconsin, where he remained until 1905, when he came again to Cass county, Michigan, where he has since made his home. He built a residence in Dowagiac, which he is now occupying. General Fish was married to Miss Alceba Prosser, a daughter of Dr. Abram and Melissa (Chapin) Prosser, who came from Oneida county, New York, to Michigan about 1853. Mrs. Fish died in 1867, about ten years after their marriage. There were four children born of that union, namely: Arthur, now deceased; Cynthia, the wife of George Adkinson, of Baraboo, Wisconsin; Howard, who is living on the Florida coast; and William Elmo, who is in the Fourteenth United States Cavalry as first major and is now on the island of Luzon in the Philippines.
General Fish is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and has taken a very active interest in the organization. He is now living retired in a comfortable home in Dowagiac. Sixteen years of his life was devoted to his country and her service and he made a splendid military record, his course during the Civil war being characterized by unfaltering devotion to the Union cause and the faithful performance of every duty which devolved upon him, his own zeal and courage often inspiring the men who served under him to deeds of valor. When in civil life he has largely spent his time in the middle west and his memory goes back to a pioneer epoch in the history of this county, for he was brought to Cass county by his parents at an early day, when the work of improvement and progress had scarcely begun in this portion of the state.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
DON A. FLETCHER
FLETCHER, STEARNS, WRIGHT, SHURTE, POOR
Don A. Fletcher is numbered among the old settlers of the county, having for fifty-five years resided within its borders, so that he has been a witness of many great changes here. His memory goes back to the time when much of the land was still in its primitive condition, when there were no railroads or telegraph lines and when the now thriving towns and cities were but little villages or had not sprung into existence. Today the country has been divided up into many farms and the fields of waving grain and the well kept stock all indicate a population of prosperous and contented people, while churches, schools and other evidences of culture are numerous.
Mr. Fletcher is a native of Wayne county, New York, born on the 7th of August, 1837, and comes of English ancestry, the family having been established in new England at an early period in its colonization. His paternal grandparents were Russell and Rachel Fletcher, who resided for a number of years in Vermont and afterward removed to Wayne county, New York. In the year 1846 Russell Fletcher made his way westward to Kalamazoo county, Michigan, and on to Cass county, where his last days were passed. William R. Fletcher, father of our subject, was born in the Green Mountain state, where he remained until eighteen years of age, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to New York. He was married in Wayne county to Miss Sarah A. Stearns, whose birth occurred in that county. Following his marriage William R. Fletcher located on a farm in Wayne county, New York, and in 1846 he removed to Michigan, journeying westward in the fall of that year. He spent the winter in Cass county, and in the following spring removed to Kalamazoo county, where he remained for three years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Cass county, settling in LaGrange township, and for many years he was numbered among the agriculturists of this part of the state. In all of his work he was practical and enterprising, and he assisted in large measure in the development and upbuilding of this part of Michigan. He died at the home of his son, D.A. Fletcher, in his eighty-fourth year, respected and honored by all who knew him. He had been supervisor and commissioner highways, and whether in office or as a private citizen he was always interested in the welfare of his community and could be counted upon as a cooperant factor in measures for the general good. He voted with the Democracy. His wife lived to be a bout seventy-four years of age. She came of an old Canadian family of French ancestry. Unto Mr. & Mrs. William Fletcher were born five children, three daughters and two sons, all of whom are living at this writing.
Don A. Fletcher, the eldest of the family, was but nine years of age when he came to Michigan with his parents, and he has resided continuously in Cass county from the age of thirteen years. In his boyhood days he attended the common schools and in the summer months was trained in the work of the fields. He remained with his parents until twenty-five years of age, when in 1862 he was united in marriage to Miss Serepta D. Shurte, a daughter of Isaac and Mary (Wright) Shurte. She was born in LaGrange Prairie, Cass county, October 29, 1838, her people having been pioneer settlers of this section of the state. They came here when only a few homes had been established within the borders of Cass county, and were closely identified with its early development. The year following his marriage, Mr. Fletcher located upon the farm where he now lives and has resided here continuously since, although he spent one year in California. In 1864 he went across the plains with a horse train by way of Salt Lake City, traveling across the long, hot stretches of sand and through the mountain passes. He returned, however, by way of the water route, crossing the Isthmus of Panama and thence sailing to New York City, after which he journeyed into the interior of the country and ultimately reached his home in LaGrange township. He is today the owner of two hundred and sixty acres of valuable land in the old homestead and one hundred and twenty-six acres on section 16, LaGrange township. He has on his home property good improvements, while the fields yield to him rich harvests in return for the care and labor he bestows upon his land. Everything about his place is neat and thrifty in appearance, and his work has been characterized by the most practical and resourceful methods.
Unto Mr. & Mrs. Fletcher have been born three sons and a daughter. William Isaac is now a resident in Oregon. Mary Lyle, the wife of Byron Poor, of Dowagiac, Michigan, is a graduate of the Dowagiac High School in the class of 1886. She has been one of Cass countys successful teachers for over twelve terms, having taught six terms in one district. She received her diploma from the South Bend Commercial College in the class of 1890. Ross A. took a course in the Dowagiac High School and graduated in the South Bend Business College in the same year as his sister Lyle. C. Claire is a graduate of the Cassopolis High School in the class of 1895. both are assisting in the cultivation of the home farm. Mr. Fletcher can look back into a remote era of the countrys development and progress, having for fifty-five years resided here, and he has taken an active part in the work of making the county what it is today. He can remember the time when few of the roads had been laid out, when few bridges had been built and when only here and there could be seen a settlement of indicate that the work of development and cultivation had been begun. He has always voted with the Democracy, and has served as road commissioner and as a member of the board of reviews. Fraternally his is connected with Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is well known in the county where he has lived so long and where he has so directed his efforts that signal success has attended his labors.
Typed by Carol Foss
HENRY J. FRENCH
FRENCH, SALMONSON, ILES, LOWMAN, KEENE
Henry J. French. Proprietor of the Eagle Lake Resort, is a native of Ontwa township, Cass county, born on the 16th of December, 1863. The father, Caleb French, was one of the old settlers of this part of the state and contributed in substantial measure to the material development and progress of the community. He was a native of Lancastershire, England, born on the 16th of May, 1828, and in his native place was reared. After arriving at manhood he was married in England to Miss Martha Iles, also a native of that country, and two children, Charles and Thirza, were born unto them ere they crossed the Atlantic to the United States. When they came to the new world they settled in Baltimore, Maryland, where they lived for about a year, and in 1856 arrived in Cass county, Michigan, settling in Edwardsburg. There the father followed the mason's trade, which he had learned in his native country. After about a year spent in Edwardsburg he removed to near Eagle lake, where he purchased eighty acres of land, the greater part of which had been improved. His first wife died during the early period of his residence upon that farm, passing away in 1861, and in March, 1863, he was again married, his second union being with Hannah Salmonson, a native of Ohio, born March 8, 1830. Her father was Richard Salmonson, one of the pioneer settlers of this part of the state, and she was reared in Ontwa township amid the conditions and environments of pioneer life. Henry J. French was the only child born of the father's second marriage. In his political views Caleb French was a Democrat, but never sought or desired public office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests, and he died upon the old home farm in February, 1882. He was well known and well respected in Cass county and enjoyed in large measure the trust and good will of his fellow men.
Henry J. French was reared upon the farm which is now his home, and worked with his father until the latter's death. He then rented the farm from the other heirs for ten years and in 1892 by purchase became possessor of the property. In 1897 he converted the tract near the lake into a summer resort, calling it the Eagle Lake Resort, and has many visitors here during the summer months. He has made this a very productive place, supplied with many of the accessories which add to the pleasure and comfort of the summer sojourner. In his general agricultural pursuits he has also met with a creditable measure of success, having conducted his interests so carefully and practically that he has gained very gratifying prosperity.
On the 31st of October, 1886, Mr. French was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle D. Lowman, a native of Jefferson township, Cass county, born January 29, 1866, and a daughter of John Lowman, whose birth occurred in Ohio in 1844. He was brought to Cass county when ten years of age and was reared in Jefferson township. After arriving at years of maturity he wedded Miss Nancy Keene, who was born in Calvin township, Cass county, in 1844. Mrs. French was the eldest of four children, two sons and two daughters, and by her marriage she has become the mother of two sons: Ford, who was born September 8, 1892; and Harry, who was born April 8, 1895, both on the old homestead.
In his political affiliation Mr. French is an earnest Democrat and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, but is without aspiration for public office. He belongs to the Woodmen camp at Edwardsburg and has many friends among his brethren of the fraternity. His entire life having been passed in Cass county he is widely known, and he has made an excellent reputation as a thoroughly reliable, energetic and progressive business man.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
WILLIAM M. FROST
FROST, CORY, GILBERT, MALLORY, COOPER, DALTON, ALIGER
William M. Frost, who has passed the Psalmist's span of three score years and ten, being now in his seventy-fourth year, makes his home in Dowagiac, but for many years was an active factor in agricultural circles. A native of New York, he was born in Otsego county on the 13th of October, 1832, and was the eldest in a family of five children, two daughters and three sons, all of whom reached adult age. Their parents were Elijah and Prudence Ann (Cory) Frost, both of whom were natives of New York. The paternal grandfather was David Frost, who became one of the early settlers of Otsego county, New York. He married Jane Gilbert and reared a family of twelve children. His death occurred upon the old homestead in the east.
Elijah Frost, father of our subject, was born in Otsego county and early became familiar with farm labor as he worked in the fields for his father, following the plow and harvesting the crops. Believing that the west furnished good business opportunities he started for Michigan in 1844 and made his way direct to Cass county, locating on Pokagon prairie in Pokagon township. He purchased a farm on which he lived for about twelve years, when he sold that property and crossed the line into Berrien county, where he lived two years. Hen then returned to Cass county, settling in Silver Creek township, where he died at the age of seventy-seven years. Throughout his entire life he followed agricultural pursuits in order to provide for his family and the success which he enjoyed was due entirely to his enterprising efforts and capable management. In early life he was an old-line Whig, supporting the party until its dissolution, when he joined the ranks of the new Republic party upon its organization. Coming to Cass county in pioneer days he found here what was practically a wilderness. The few homes of the early settlers were widely scattered, the forests largely stood in their primeval strength and the streams were unbridged. In fact the work of development had been scarcely begun and he had ample opportunity to aid in the work of early improvement and progress. He married Prudence Ann Cory, also a native of New York and a daughter of Samuel and Rachel (Mallory) Cory, who located in the Empire state at an early day, coming to New York from Connecticut. Mrs. Frost was a granddaughter of a Revolutionary soldier. She survived her husband for a number of years and died in the ninetieth year of her age in Silver Creek township, being one of the oldest settlers of the county in age and also in years of residence here. Of her family of five children only two are now living, the other being Kenyon D. Frost, who resides in Cass county.
William M. Frost spent the first twelve years of his life in the state of his nativity and then came with his parents to Michigan, arriving here on the first of October, 1844. He acquired his education in common and select schools of Niles and when not busy with his textbooks remained at home, assisting in the work of the farm. The family experienced many of the usual hardships and trials of pioneer life and with the others of the family Mr. Frost worked in the fields, converting the once wild and raw land into a productive tract. At the age of twenty years he began teaching school, holding his first school in a little log cabin in Silver Creek township. He followed the profession for about nine years, having the ability to impart clearly and readily the knowledge to others that he had acquired, so that he was recognized as one of the capable educators of this part of the state. He was in the schoolroom during the winter months, while in the summer seasons he followed the plow.
He first was married in 1856 to Miss Mary Jane Dalton, a daughter of John and Catherine (Cooper) Dalton. She was born in the city of Rochester, New York, May 2, 1836, and came with her parents to Michigan, locating at Three Rivers, whence they afterward removed to Cass county, Mrs. Frost being about fourteen years of age at that time. Upon his marriage Mr. Frost rented a farm which he cultivated for about three years, this being located in Niles township, Berrien county. He lived frugally and economically during that period and as the result of his industry was enabled in the spring of 1860 to purchase a farm in Silver Creek township, whereon he took up his abode. The farm was all covered with timber at the time of the purchase, and in the midst of the forest he began developing the fields and clearing away the trees, grubbing out the stumps and burning up the brush. In the course of time the sunshine flooded the fields and ripened the grain. In all of his farm work he kept abreast with the progress incident to agricultural life, using good improved machinery and following modern methods in all that he did. Owing to his careful direction of his business interests and his unfaltering energy he acquired a gratifying competence and in 1889 removed to Dowagiac, where he has since remained. For some years he continued to give personal supervision to his farm and the place is now carried on through the work of a man whom he employs by the year. He has one hundred and eighty acres of well improved land all under the plow save about fifteen acres and good crops are annually harvested.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Frost have been born three children: Emily C., the eldest, who died at age of ten years; Elizabeth, now the wife of E. E. Aliger, of Dowagiac; and Carrie Lucile, at home. Mr. Frost in early manhood proudly cast his first presidential ballot for John C. Fremont, the first candidate of the Republican party. He voted also for Abraham Lincoln and has supported each presidential nominee at the head of the ticket from that time. He has held a number of local offices, to which he has been called by his fellow citizens, who recognize his worth and his fidelity to public duty. He has been superintendent of Silver Creek township public school, which position he held for twelve years and was supervisor of Silver Creek township for seven years. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for a half century and has taken an active and helpful interest in its work and upbuilding, filling various official positions in connection therewith. His house was always called the preacher's home, its hospitality being extended to all ministers visiting the neighborhood. Looking back into the past it will be found that Mr. Frost has for sixty years lived in this county and he is therefore largely authority on matters relating to its history. Great changes have occurred and a wonderful transformation has been wrought since those early days when the forests were uncut, land uncultivated and homes unbuilt. The work of progress has been made by slow but steady stages and those who have contributed to the upbuilding and development of the county deserve much credit, especially those who have shared in the trials and hardships of frontier life as Mr. Frost has done.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
C. H. FUNK, D.D.S.
FUNK, MYERS, KINGSBURY, RITTER
Dr. C. H. Funk is engaged in the practice of dentistry in Cassopolis, where he has a well equipped office, and in his work he keeps in touch with modern scientific research and with the most advanced ideas and methods of the profession. He was born in Elkhart, Indiana, May 17, 1855. His father, William Funk, was a native of Pennsylvania and became one of the early settlers of Elkhart county, Indiana, where he carried on farming and milling. He was of German descent, as was his wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Myers. In their family were four sons and five daughters, all of whom reached adult age and are still living with but two exceptions.
Dr. Funk is the third child and eldest son. He was reared and educated in Elkhart county, pursuing his studies in Goshen, Indiana, after which he engaged in teaching school for four years in that county. The year 1878 witnessed his arrival in Cassopolis. He had previously studied dentistry under the direction of Dr. Cummins, of Elkhart, and he practiced for four years in Cassopolis. He afterward attended the Indian Dental College, from which he was graduated in the class of 1883, when he one more resumed practice in Cassopolis, where he has remained continuously since. By reading, investigation and study he has kept in touch with the progress made by the dental fraternity and he has the mechanical skill and ability without which no member of the profession attains the highest status. His work has given a uniform satisfaction and his patronage is large and growing. He is also interested in real estate, has negotiated some important property transfers and has contributed to the improvement of the city through the building of the Ritter & Funk block and the post office block in Cassopolis. He is also interested in farming in connection with Mr. Ritter, so that the extent and scope of his activities have made him a prominent business man of Cassopolis.
Dr. Funk was married in 1890 to Miss Ellen R. Ritter, a daughter of Joseph K. and Amanda (Kingsbury) Ritter. She was born and reared in Cassopolis and has become the mother of two sons, Leland R. and Cyrus R.
Dr. Funk is a well known Mason, having taken the lodge and chapter degrees in the craft. He is an honorary member of the Indiana State Dental Society, a member of the Michigan State Dental Society since 1885, and is president of the Southwest Michigan Dental Society. He supports the Republican party, giving his ballot to those men who are pledged to uphold its principles, and in the work of the organization he has taken an active and helpful part, serving as secretary of the Republican county central committee. His residence in Cassopolis covers twenty-eight years, during which time he has served for five years on the school board and for three years as its treasurer. The cause of education finds n him a warm and stalwart friend and he is also the champion of every progressive movement that tends to prove of practical and permanent good to the county. He is wide-awake, alert and enterprising, and is typical representative of the citizenship of the middle west of the rapid and substantial advancement of this section of the country.
Typed by Carol Foss