Cass County Michigan Biographies
From The History of Cass County by Glover
FRANK P. JARVIS
JARVIS, SIMPSON, COOPER, REAMS
Frank P. Jarvis, who follows the occupation of farming, was born August 18, 1852, in LaGrange township, where he still makes his home. His father, Norman Jarvis, was one of the early settlers of the county, where for many years he followed the occupation of farming. He was born in North Carolina in 1819 and was a son of Zaddock Jarvis, likewise a native of the old North state. The grandfather was a farmer and about 1834 settled in Cass county, Michigan, being one of the first residents within its borders. The family home was established in LaGrange township, where the grandfather purchased some land, becoming owner of about two hundred acres, most of which was raw and unimproved. He cleared the tract, however, and reared his family upon this place. Norman Jarvis was only four years of age when brought by his parents to Michigan and amid the wild scenes of frontier life he was reared upon the old homestead, the family living in a log cabin while his education was acquired in a log schoolhouse. He shared with the other members of the family in the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life and also assisted in the arduous task of developing new land. When about twenty-one years of age he bought land in LaGrange township, coming into possession of about two hundred acres that was partially improved. He had been married a short time previous to Miss Margaret Simpson, a native of Ohio, born in the year 1823. She was reared in her native state and with her parents came to Cass county at an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis became the parents of ten children, seven daughters and three sons, all of whom are living, Frank P. being the fifth child and second son. In his political views the father was a Democrat and kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He prospered in his business undertakings and at the time of his death was the owner of two hundred and seventy acres of rich and productive land, the greater part of which had been improved by him. He passed away in 1903 at the age of eighty-three years, respected and esteemed by all who knew him. Frank P. Jarvis was reared upon the old homestead farm and assisted his father in its cultivation and improvement until twenty-four years of age, when he made arrangements for having a home of his own by his marriage, the 14th of February, 1876, to Miss Clara Cooper, a daughter of Cicero and Hannah (Reams) Cooper. The father was a native of Jefferson township, Cass county, born in February, 1840, and was there reared and educated. After putting aside his text-books, he learned and followed the carpenter's trade. He voted with the Democracy up to the time of his demise, which occurred in 1869. Mrs. Cooper was born in Jefferson township, Cass county, on the 29th of October, 1839, and was there reared, both she and her husband being pioneer people of this part of the state. They became the parents of two sons and three daughters, of whom one died in infancy. Mrs. Jarvis, who was the second daughter and third child of the family, was reared upon the old home farm in Cass county.
At the time of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis located on a farm of one hundred and thirty acres in LaGrange township, the greater part of which had been cultivated, and there they resided for fourteen years. In 1891, however, Mr. Jarvis sold that property and removed to Pokagon township, settling on section 25, where he purchased one hundred and fifty-nine acres of improved land. To the further cultivation and development of this place he has since devoted his energies and now has an excellent farm, from which he annually harvests good crops. To him and his wife have been born two children, but Burton, who was born January 3, 1878, died in infancy. Norman, born September 28, 1880, in LaGrange township, is still at home. Mr. Jarvis is a Democrat where national issues are involved, but at local elections regards only the capability of the candidate and often casts his ballot without regard for party ties. He has contributed in substantial measure to the agricultural development of the county and at the same time has promoted his individual success until he is now classed among the men of affluence in Pokagon township.
Typed by Darwina Michael
JARVIS, SIMPSON, PARK
The farm which is the place of residence of William Jarvis was also his birthplace. It is situated on Section 34, Wayne Township, and there Mr. Jarvis first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 5th of December, 1844. He is a son of Norman Jarvis, who was one of the early settlers of this county, following the occupation of farming for many years. He was born in North Carolina in 1819, and was a son of Edward Jarvis, likewise a native of the old North State. The grandfather was a farmer and about 1823 settled in Cass County, Michigan, being one of the first residents within its border. The family home was established in LaGrange Township, where the grandfather purchased some land, becoming owner of about two hundred acres, most of which was raw and unimproved. He cleared the tract, however, and reared his family upon this place.
Norman Jarvis was only four years of age when brought by his parents to Michigan and amid the wild scenes of frontier life he was reared upon the old homestead, the family living in a log cabin, while his education was acquired in a log schoolhouse. He shared with the other members of the family in the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life and also assisted in the arduous task of developing new land. When about twenty-one years of age he bought land in LaGrange Township, coming into possession of about two hundred acres that was partially improved. He had been married a short time previous to Miss Margaret Simpson, a native of Ohio, born in the year 1823. She was reared in her native state and with her parent's came to Cass County, Michigan, at an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis became the parents of ten children, seven daughters and three sons, all of who are living. In his political views the father was a Democrat and kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He proposed in his business undertakings and at the time of his death was the owner of two hundred and seventy acres of rich and productive land, the greater part of which has been improved by him. He passed away in 1903 at the age of eighty-three years, respected and esteemed by all who knew him.
Upon the old homestead in LaGrange Township William Jarvis spent the days of his boyhood and youth there remaining until his marriage, which occurred on the 22d of February 1868. He then removed to the farm adjoining the old homestead a tract of land of one hundred and forty acres; a part of which he improved during the two years which spent there. In 1872 he went to Dowagiac, where he turned his attention to the butchering business, remaining there for a bout seven months. On the expiration of that period he bought a farm of eighty acres east of Decatur, in Decatur Township, and cleared ten acres of that place, living thereon for seven months. In the fall of 1873 he came to his present farm which then comprised eight acres of land to which he ahs since added a tract of forty acres, so that his place now comprises on hundred and twenty acres. Which is rich and productive. Here he has made his home for thirty-two years and has gained a good living by his careful management of his business and by his practical and progressive methods in cultivating the fields and caring for the crops.
Mr. Jarvis was united in marriage to Miss Abesta Park, a native of Medina County, Ohio, born December 10, 1849, and a daughter of John an Fannie Park, who removed to Dowagiac in 1865, there spending their remaining days. Mr. Park was a stock buyer and a well-known businessman, carrying on active work in the cultivation and development of the fields. Mr. Jarvis was reared in Ohio, being about seventeen years of age when the parents came to Cass County. By her marriage she has become the mother of two sons and a daughter; John P., who was born at Dowagiac on the 21st of May 1872; and William, who was born upon the present home farm of April 17, 1882; and Bessie who was born June 22, 1888. All were educated in the schools of Wayne Township. The wife and mother called to her final rest February 17, 1903, and her death was deeply regretted not only by her immediate family but also by many friends. Mr. Jarvis exercises his right of franchise support of the Democratic Party. Through sixty-one years he has lived in Cass County and has witnessed many changes here during that period. From his early youth he has followed farming save for a brief interval and for almost a third of a century has lived upon his present place which shows in its excellent improved condition the careful supervision of a careful and painstaking owner
Typed by Michael L. Bradford
JARVIS, OWENS, SIMPSON, CUDDERBACK
Few residents of Cass county have resided longer within its borders than has Zadok Jarvis, who for almost seventy-three years has been a citizen here ... He was born four miles south of Richmond in Wayne county, Indiana, on the 15th of December 1827, a son of Zadok and Lucy (Owens) Jarvis, both of whom were natives of North Carolina, born in Rowan county.
After living for some time in Indiana the father came with his family to Cass county in 1833, locating first in LaGrange township. He was a lifelong farmer. ... He voted with the Democracy, was fearless in support of his honest convictions, and was regarded as a man whom to know was to respect and honor. His death occurred in his sixty-eighth year, while his widow reached the very advanced age of ninety-seven years, being perhaps the oldest citizen of Cass county at the time of her demise.
In the family of this worthy couple were seven children, four sons and three daughters, all of whom reached mature years, married and reared families of their own with the exception of one sister, who was married but had no children.
Mr. Jarvis of this review was the sixth child and youngest son, and was a little lad of six summers when he came with his parents to Cass county. ... His education was obtained in the pioneer schools and he received ample training at farm labor, taking his place in the fields as soon as old enough to handle the plow. He remained with his father until the latter's death and in fact he is the only surviving member of the family.
In 1851 he was married to Miss Rebecca Simpson, whose birth occurred in Cass county, her parents being Elias and Rachel Simpson, who were pioneer settlers of this part of the state. Immediately after his marriage Mr. Jarvis located upon the farm upon which he now resides, and it has been his home almost continuously since, save that he spent about three years in Dowagiac. ... He now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land and in 1905 he gave to his son John eighty acres of land. Unto Mr. Jarvis by his first marriage were born five children, namely: Henry, Helen, Francis, Almanson and Almira, the last two being twins. Having lost his first wife Mr. Jarvis was again married, his second union being with Margaret Cudderback. They became the parents of four children: Zed, John and two who are now deceased.
Mr. Jarvis voted with the Republican party until 1872, when he became a Democrat. He has served as a member of the township board, was at one time a member of the Masonic fraternity and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church at Dowagiac. ...
[Editing note:Note: Capitalization, style and punctuation of original text have been followed throughout except for the occasional insertion of commas in long compound sentences. Several long paragraphs also have been divided up for ease of reading. Deletions are marked by elipses (...).]
Typed by Larry Sullivan
JEWELL, WALDRON, BONNELL, BATCHELOR, DAVIS
Elbridge Jewell, one of the thrifty, prosperous and enterprising farmers of LaGrange township, living on section 26, is a native son of Cass county, born on the 8th of January, 1838. His father, Hiram Jewell, was a native of New Jersey, and was a son of John Jewell. The family was established in the east at an early period in the colonization of the new world. John Jewell, removing from New Jersey, became a resident of Ohio, and spent his last days in Butler county. Hiram Jewell came to Cass county in 1830, settling in LaGrange township, where he secured government land that was raw and unimproved. A part of Cassopolis now stands upon a portion of his farm. He improved a tract of land on section 27, and there spent the greater part of his life. In the early days the family shared in the hardships and trials incident to the settlement of the frontier, but afterward enjoyed the comforts which came with an advancing civilization. In his work he was energetic and reliable, making for himself an untarnished name and enviable reputation in business circles. He lived to be eighty-two years of age while his wife reached the age of sixty years. She bore the maiden name of Martha Waldron, and is supposed to have been a native of Ohio. In this family were five children, two sons and three daughters, of whom two died in early life. Those still surviving are Elbridge and his sister, Miram, who is the widow of Henry S. Quick, of LaGrange township.
Elbridge Jewell, the third child and second son in the father's family, was reared upon the old family homestead on section 27, LaGrange township, and when a boy pursued his studies in a log school house, to which he walked a distance of a mile and a half through the woods. The school session was of comparatively short duration, for throughout the remainder of the year the services of the boys and girls of the neighborhood were needed at home, as there was much arduous labor incident to the development of a new farm. Mr. Jewel continued to assist in the cultivation of the fields upon his father's place until after his marriage, which important event in his life occurred in 1857, the lady of his choice being Miss Sarah J. Bonnel. They located on a farm on section 27, LaGrange township, there residing until 1860, when they removed to another place. In 1861, however, they returned to the old homestead and in 1865 removed to Iowa, settling in Warren county, northwest of the city of Des Moines. After a brief period, however, they again took up their abode upon the old home farm in Cass county, and there Mr. Jewell continued to engage actively in agricultural pursuits until 1889, when he went to Cassopolis, where he remained for five years, being engaged in the agricultural implement business. When he sold out he located on the home farm and then traded that property for the farm upon which he now resides on section 26, LaGrange township. He has here one hundred and twenty-eight acres of land which is rich and arable and which he rents, so that he is relieved of the more arduous duties of farm life. He operated a threshing machine from 1870 until 1887, covering much territory throughout the county and finding in the business a profitable source of income.
In 1880, Mr. Jewell was called upon to mourn the loss of his first wife, who died on the 12th of May of that year. On the 14th of November, 1880, he was married to Lucy A. Davis, a daughter of Charles F. S. and Susan (Batchelor) Davis. Mrs. Jewell was born in Dowagiac on the farm owned by Samuel Aarons, January 28, 1859. Her parents had come to Cass county about 1857, from the state of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Jewell have become the parents of two sons: Hiram E., a telegraph operator of Vicksburg, Michigan; and Fred C., a telegrapher living at home. Mr. Jewell belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen of Cassopolis, and he has many friends both in and out of the order. Having always lived in Cass county, his acquaintance has grown as the years have gone by, and the circle of his friends has been extended as his genuine worth has won regard and confidence.
He has swung the old "Turkey Wing" cradles from morn to night. Mr. and Mrs. Jewell have one of the "old Longfellow clocks," which stands over six feet in height and it is over a century old, but keeps perfect time. It is a rare specimen, and not such another relic will be found in the whole county of Cass. His father had the large frame made himself. They have a Bible which was printed in 1839.
Typed by Linda Curry
JOSEPH H. JOHNSON
JOHNSON, GREGORY, DOYLE, DAVIS
Joseph H. Johnson, living on section 8, Penn township, is a native of Monroe county, New York, his birth having occurred about six miles east of Rochester on the 2nd of March 1840. His father, Job Johnson, was a native of England, and when a young man came to America, for he had heard favorable reports concerning business opportunities in the United States and he hoped to better his financial condition by emigrating to the new world. When a young man in England he learned the blacksmiths trade and thus had a good foundation upon which to build the superstructure of success after crossing the Atlantic. Being favorable impressed with his adopted land, he afterward returned to England for his bride and was married there to Miss Andulusia Gregory, a native of England, whom he then brought with him to the United States, arriving here about 1838. They located in Monroe county, New York, where they resided continuously until the spring of 1852, when they came to Cass County, Michigan. Mr. Johnson secured land about a mile south of Vandalia, where he was engaged in farming. There he died at the age of fifty-three years, while his wife passed away in her fiftieth year. By the first marriage of Mr. Johnson there were born five children, and by his second marriage [to] Miss Fannie Doyle becoming his wife, there were born three children.
Joseph H. Johnson is the eldest of the first family, and in Monroe county, New York, he spent the first twelve years of his life, becoming a public school student there. Subsequently he continued his studies in Cass County following the removal of his parents to Michigan. His mother died, however, when he was only about thirteen years of age, and he then started out in life on his own account. He worked by the month during the summer seasons and in the winter attended school Desirous of gaining a good education and realizing it value as a factor in a successful business career, he attended Hillsdale College in 1864, providing for the expenses of the college course by his own labor. After his marriage he rented the Bonine farm for six years, and then with the capital which he had acquired through his own earnings he bought a tract of land of eighty acres. Later she spent four years in a jewelry store at Columbus, Indiana, after which he returned to Cass County and purchased a second farm, becoming owner of the property which he now occupies. Later he again spent two years in Columbus as a bookkeeper in a large flouring mill but once more he again took up his abode in Cass County, making his home with his brother.
In 1867 Mr. Johnson married Miss Caroline Davis, a daughter of Allen and Hannah Davis. She died December 25, 1869, leaving one child that died in infancy. Mr. Johnson is now the owner of one-hundred and thirty acres of land in Penn township and also forty acres in LaGrange township. He is likewise one of the directors of the First National Bank of Cassopolis, in which he has been a stockholder for over thirty years. In fact he is one of the oldest stockholders of the institution. In his business life he has been thoroughly reliable and all that he possesses is attributable to his energy and careful management. Since age gave to him the right of franchise he has been a Republican, actively interested in the work of the party and its success and doing all in his power for the extension of its local influence. He has served as township supervisor for one term was also township treasurer for two years, and his is now a member of the county central committee, with which he has been thus allied for a number of years. His interest in behalf of public progress and improvement has been manifest by active co-operation in many movements for the general good. Starting out in life for himself at the early age of thirteen years, he soon became acquainted with earnest and unremitting toil and gained a realization of the fact that only through close and persistent effort may honorable success be achieved. He has used his opportunities to the best possible advantage, and as the years have gone by he has wisely invested in property that is now classed with the fine farms of Penn township.
Typed by Carol Foss
GEORGE D. JONES
JONES, BOGUE, PECK, BOLING,RICE
Among the representative and energetic business men of Dowagiac George D. Jones is numbered, being engaged in the conduct of a grocery store. He was born in Preble county, Ohio, August 2, 1827. His father, George Jones, was a native of Georgia and was a son of another George Jones, who was of Welsh birth and in 1829 became a resident of Cass county, Michigan, locating on Young's Prairie in Penn township, the family being the first settlers of that township. George Jones, Sr., grandfather of our subject, had eleven children, all of whom were married when they came to Cass county and took up their abode here. The family to which George D. Jones belonged was the smallest numerically of the eleven families, there being but six children, two daughters and four sons. In early manhood George Jones, father of George D. Jones, had removed from his native state to Ohio, where he married Miss Mary Bogue, who was born in North Carolina. They located in Preble county, Ohio, where he engaged in milling and also in farming. In the year 1829 he removed to Cass county, Michigan, and entered land in Penn township, on what is now known as Young's Prairie. He was thus one of the first settlers in this part of the state. He began the improvement and development of the farm there but died after a four years' residence in this state, passing away in the thirty-second year of his age. His children were Annie, Stephen, Nathan, Sarah, George D. and Charles, but the last named died in youth.
George D. Jones is the only one of his father's family now living and was but two years of age when brought by his parents to Michigan. He was reared upon the old homestead in the midst of the green woods and attended an old log school house of the early days. He assistd in the arduous task of developing and improving a new farm and remained with his mother until twenty-six years of age, when he was married, in 1853, to Miss Sarah Pegg. She died a few years later leaving two children: Flora E., who is now the wife of William Boling, a conductor on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad now living in Galesburg, Illinois; and George Elbert, deceased. For his second wife Mr. Jones chose Miss Ella O. Rice. Remaining a resident of Penn township, he carried on general farming until 1864, when he located in Dowagiac and the following year he engaged in the shipping of live stock, in which business he continued successfully for a number of years. In 1880, however, he established a grocery store and is the pioneer groceryman of this place. He was also the first stock shipper at this point. He has for seventy-seven years been a resident of the county and its history is to him a familiar story, not because he has heard related the events of the early days but because he has been an active participant in the work of improvement and in the conditions which have formed its pioneer annals. His early political support was given to the Whig party, and upon its dissolution he joined the ranks of the new Republican party, of which he has since been an earnest advocate, voting for each presidential candidate of the party from 1856 down to the present time. He has filled the office of township clerk for several terms, was supervisor of Penn township and justice of the peace. He has likewise been a member of the village board of Dowagiac and a member of the school board, and the cause of education finds in him a warm and stalwart friend, while each movement that has for its basic element the welfare of the community receives his endorsement. There is perhaps in Dowagiac and his section of the county no man more widely known than George D. Jones, and no history of the communtity would be complete without the record of his life.
Typed by Darwina Michael
GEORGE W. JONES
JONES, SHERMAN, CAUL, OSBORNE, SMITH
George W. Jones, at one time closely, actively, and helpfully connected with the substantial development and progress of Marcellus and Cass county, was born in Preble County, Ohio, on the 3rd of April, 1824, and died April 29, 1896. He came to Michigan about 1830, in company with his parents, Henry and Hannah Jones, who located on Young's prairie. In the spring of 1849, attracted by the discovery of Gold on the pacific slope, he made his way to California, where he turned his attention to mining. After two years, learning that unless extraordinary efforts were made the large possessions of his father -- nine hundred acres -- would be lost, he returned home to do his share toward saving the property. Six weeks after his return the father died, leaving the weight of heavy financial obligations on his shoulders. He was appointed administrator of the estate, which, however was much encumbered, and capable financiers said that he would never be able to pay off the debts. Nothing daunted, however, and with resolute spirit and determined energy., he set to work, and with the assistance of his two younger brothers, F.J. and J.G. Jones, after eleven years, as the result of good financeering, economy and unfaltering labor, he was enabled to divide twenty-two thousand dollars among the eleven heirs to the estate. Having purchased the interest of some of the other heirs in the home property, he erected on the farm the present fine residence now owned by his heirs. Two years subsequent, George W. Jones, in company with Orson Rudd, purchased two hundred and seven acres of land on which now is located the village of Wakelee and in 1882 he owned three-fourths of the original purchase. In all of his business undertakings he has displayed remarkable foresight and sagacity. With prophetic eye he seemed to see the line of the railroad and recognized that the present site of Marcellus would prove an eligible one for a village. Accordingly, he bought two-hundred and eleven acres of land at what was then considered the extravagant price of thirteen thousand dollars. In 1870, he began to lay out the village and the success that attended his efforts may be readily learned by a visit to this enterprising and prosperous town. In 1877, becoming impressed with the fact that Marcellus needed a bank, he opened an institution, although he had no previous experience in the banking business. He made his son, C.S. Jones his cashier, and the new enterprise proved successful beyond his anticipation. He displayed marked business ability, executive force and correct judgment, and whatever he undertook seemed destined to win success. The secret of his prosperity, however, is found in his unremitting diligence, careful study of any plan which he formulated and his determination in carrying it forward to completion.
On the 28th of December, 1853, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Emma B. Sherman, a daughter of E.B. Sherman of Cassopolis, by whom he had two sons, Frank S. and Carroll S., the latter the present cashier of the bank, which was incorporated as a state bank in 1897. Carroll S. Jones was married to Miss Bessie E. Caul, a daughter of Andrew F. Caul, one of the prominent farmers of the Marcellus township, and they have two children, Donna V. and Carroll B. The senior brother, who is unmarried, is president of the bank.
In 1870, George W. Jones was called to mourn the loss of his first wife, who died the 20th of November of that year. On the 15th of March 1876, he wedded Miss Lizzie Osborn, a daughter of Nathan Osborn, who was a real estate dealer and one of the pioneers of St. Joseph Co. Michigan. He was a circuit judge of that county and held other positions of importance. His birth occurred in Connecticut, but his daughter, Mrs. Jones, was born in St. Joseph county, Michigan, was educated there and became a resident of South Bend. She was one of eight children, being the fifth in the order of birth. Her brother, Hon. James D. Osborn, was on the bench of the circuit court at Elkhart, Indiana, and another brother, Hon. George W. Osborn, represented St. Joseph County in the Michigan legislature. Unto Mr. Jones by his second marriage were born two children: Henry B., who is now a banker at Santa Rosa, New Mexico, and Vera May, the wife of Walter F. Smith, of Goshen Indiana, a real estate dealer of that place.
Mr. Jones was reared in the Faith of the Society of Friends, but did not become a member of any church, although frequently attended religious services and contributed liberally to their support, being a firm believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings. His political allegiance was given to the Democracy, but he was without aspiration for office, preferring to give his time and energies to his business interests, which were capably managed, winning him a gratifying measure of prosperity as the years went by. He died in 1896, honored and respected by all who knew him not only by reason of the success he had achieved, but also because of the straightforward business policy he had ever followed.
Typed by:Anne Hood
JONES, BOGUE, BONINE
Nathan Jones, a retired farmer and one of the old settlers of Cass county, is living on section 21, Penn township. He has passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred in Preble county, Ohio, April 6, 1824. His father, George Jones, was a native of Georgia and was a son of George Jones, Sr., whose birth likewise occurred in the same state, whence he removed to Ohio on account of slavery in the south, establishing his home in Preble county. He was a Friend or Quaker in his religious faith and he lived to be about sixty-six years of age. After spending some years in Ohio he sought a home in Michigan, locating in Penn township, Cass county, in 1829, which was several years before the admission of the state into the Union. He was accompanied by four of his sons and they took an active and helpful part in the development and early progress of the county. The family is of Welsh descent, but the first representatives of the name in America came from England to the new world.
George Jones, the father of our subject, was a young man when his parents removed to Preble county, Ohio, and there he was reared to the occupation of farming, which he has made his life work. He came to Cass county, Michigan, at the same time his father and brothers sought a home in this state, and from the government he entered a tract of land in Penn township, upon which not a furrow had been turned nor an improvement made. With characteristic energy, however, he began tilling the soil and planting crops and in due course of time had developed a good farm. He had lived for six years in the county before he could enter his land and he took a helpful part in the work of early improvement and progress. He died when a comparatively young man, passing away at the age of thirty-two years. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Bogue and was born in North Carolina, where her girlhood days were passed. She removed with her parents to Ohio. Her father was Joseph Bogue, also a native of North Carolina, who was of Quaker faith, adhering closely to that religious denomination up to the time of his demise. Mrs. Jones reached the very advanced age of eighty-two years, thus long surviving her husband. In their family were six children.
Nathan Jones, the third in order of birth, was only five years of age when brought by his parents from Preble county, Ohio, to Cass county, Michigan, and he was reared in Penn township amid the wild scenes of pioneer life, sharing with the family in all the hardships, privations and trials incident to the settlement of the frontier. When a boy he pursued his education in a log school house, sitting upon a slab bench. In one end of the room was a large fire-place and the desks were made of slabs laid upon pins driven into the wall. The methods of instruction were also primitive and he frequently made his way through the snow for three miles in order to attend school. The family were left in somewhat limited financial circumstances, so that his privileges were comparatively meager. He assisted his mother upon the old home farm up to the time of his marriage, which occurred in 1847, Miss Lydia Bonine becoming his wife. She was a daughter of Isaac and Sarah Bonine, who settled in Cass county in 1842. Mrs. Jones was born in Wayne county, Indiana, and died in this county in 1899 when about seventy-one years of age. By her marriage she had become the mother of six children, namely: Mary E., Sarah Inda, Isaac B., George, Warner D. and one who died in infancy. In 1900, Mr. Jones was again married, his second union being with Louisa Jones who was born in London, England, but was brought to the United States during her infancy.
Mr. Jones has been a resident of Cass county for seventy-six years and throughout that entire time has been connected with agricultural pursuits.. He owns three hundred acres of land in Penn township and his valuable farm with its excellent improvements and richly cultivated fields indicates a life of thrift and enterprise. He is a stanch Prohibitionist in political matters and formerly was a Republican, and for many years has served as township supervisor of Penn township. In his religious faith he holds to the church of his ancestors and is a Friend or Quaker. His life has been ever honorable and upright and he has never been known to take advantage of the necessities of his fellow men in any trade transaction. Few of the citizens of the county have so long resided within its borders and his name is indelibly engraved upon the pages of its history. His memory goes back to the time when there were few roads through the forests and the traveler often found his way by means of a blazed trail. There were no railroads, no telegraph nor telephones and only here and there would be found a little clearing to indicate that the work of improvement had been begun. The few homes were mostly log cabins and similar structures were used for school purposes or houses of worship. The farm machinery was very crude as compared to that in use at the present day. The mowing was done with a scythe or sickle, the grain bound by hand and was threshed out with oxen or horses. Most of the cooking was done over a big fire-place and much of the clothing of the family was woven by the women of the household. Great changes have occurred and Mr. Jones has kept in touch with the universal progress, rejoicing in what has been accomplished as Cass county has won a place among the leading counties of this great commonwealth.
Typed by Linda Curry
WARNER D. JONES
JONES, STRUBLE, BONINE
Abraham Lincoln has said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time," and the truth of this assertion is abundantly verified in the political system of the country, where public office is conferred by public vote and is an indication of trust reposed in the individual and a recognition of his merit. It is true that corruption exists to some extent, especially in the larger cities, but in smaller communities where individual character and personal traits of the candidate are known it is usually men of real worth and ability who are called to serve in positions of public trust. This is certainly true in the case of Mr. Jones, who is filling the office of register of deeds. He was born in Penn township, Cass county, December 6, 1869, and as his entire life has been passed in this section of the state his life history is as an open book to the majority of citizens in the county. He is the third son and fifth child of Nathan and Lydia (Bonine) Jones, who are mentioned on another page of this work. He was reared in the township where his birth occurred and pursued his education in the schools of Vandalia and Cassopolis. He afterward entered college at Richmond, Indiana, and when he put aside his text books he concentrated his energies upon farm labor and was connected with agricultural interests in Cass county until he was elected register of deeds in 1904. This position he now fills, having been chosen to the office as the candidate of the Republican party. He has always taken an active and helpful interest in the work of that party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, so that he is able to support his position by intelligent argument.
Mr. Jones was married in 1903 to Miss Viola Struble, who was born in this county in 1873 and was educated in the common schools. Thus both Mr. and Mrs. Jones are natives of Cass county and are widely known, their circle of friends being constantly extended as the circle of their acquaintances increases. Mr. Jones has always been recognized as a reliable business man, possessing laudable ambition and enterprise, and in office he is found loyal to the trust reposed in him, faithfully performing his duties to the best of his ability. In a fraternal sense Mr. Jones is a member of the K. of P., Castle No. 129, of Pierian Lodge of Cassopolis.
Typed by Barbara O'Reagan
JUDD, BEARDSLEY, STILLWELL, JEWEL, GREEN
Mark Judd, a pioneer lumberman and sawmill operator of Dowagiac, was born in Fairfield county, Connecticut, June 18, 1833. The family is of English lineage in the paternal line and William Judd, the father of our subject, was also a native of Fairfield county, Connecticut, where in early life he learned and followed the coopers trade. Emigrating westward in 1844, he took up his abode in Silver Creek township, Cass county, Michigan, where he located upon a farm, giving his attention to its cultivation and improvement for a number of years. His last days, however, were spent in Dowagiac, where he died at the ago of ninety-three years. His wife, Abigail Beardsley, was also a native of Connecticut, and died in New York when her son Mark was only about four years of age. In the family were four sons and four daughters. After losing his first wife the father was again married.
Mark Judd, the youngest of the eight children, came to Cass county, Michigan, when about twelve years of age, and when a young man of seventeen years started out in life on his own account, working as a farm hand by the month. He was thus employed for three years, when, thinking that he might find other occupation more congenial, he began learning the carpenters and joiners trade, which he followed for several years, becoming intimately associated with building operations in Cass county. Watchful of opportunities pointing to success, he was enabled, in 1859, as the result of his enterprise, diligence and frugality in former years, to establish a planing mill, of which he became one-third owner and which was conducted under the firm style of Ashley, Case & Company. The firm had an existence of about four years in its original form and then became Case & Judd, business being carried on in that way for some time, when Mr. Judd became sole owner. This is the oldest enterprise of the kind in the county, or in fact in any of the adjoining counties, having a continuous existence of almost a half century. The planing mill was the first built in this part of the state, there being none nearer than Kalamazoo. The mill has been in operation throughout all these years and its manufactured product represents an enormous amount of lumber.
Mr. Judd was married in 1864 to Miss Amanda Stillwell, a native of Michigan, and they now have three sons: William, who is living in Porter township; Allie, the wife of Arthur Jewel, of Dowagiac; and Lena, the wife of Dr. George W. Green, a practicing physician of Dowagiac.
In his political affiliation Mr. Judd has been a life-long Republican, joining the party on its organization, He has held several offices, acting as alderman for two years and in other connections has done effective service for the welfare and progress of his home town. He is a member of the Dowagiac Lodge, No. 214, A.F.&M., in which he has attained the degree of Master Mason, and he is also connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. A pioneer business man of Dowagiac, he has spent the greater part of his life in Cass county and has been identified with its interest both in behalf of public progress and through his business relations. He stands today as one whose success is the fitting crown of earnest and honorable labor. Realizing that work --earnest, persistent work--is the basis of all desirable prosperity, he has in his business career spared not that laborious attention to detail which is one of the chief elements of success and as the outcome of his clear judgment, his enterprise and diligence he is today classed with the substantial residents of his adopted county.
Typed by Carol Foss