Cass County Michigan Biographies pages
From The History of Cass Countyby Glover
Among the leading citizens of Cass county whose life record forms an integral part of the history of this section of the state is numbered C. Carroll Nelson, who is now living a retired life and whose position in the regard of other pioneer residents of the state is indicated by the fact that he is now serving as treasurer of the Old Settlers' Association. His career has been a long, busy and useful one, marked by the utmost fidelity to the duties of public and private life and crowned with the respect which is conferred upon him in recognition of his genuine worth. His name is inseparably interwoven with the annals of the county, with its best development and stable prosperity. He is one of Michigan's native sons, his birth having occurred in Washtenaw county on the 31st of July, 1835. His father, I. S. Nelson, was a native of Massachusetts, born in Deerfield, whence he came to Michigan in 1830, locating in Washtenaw county, where his remaining days were passed, his death occurring in 1837. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Eliza Arms, was born in Conway, Massachussetts, and following the death of her first husband she gave her hand in marriage to Rulef D. Crego.
C. Carroll Nelson was brought to Cass county in 1842, when a youth of seven summers, the family home being established in Newberg township, where he was reared and educated. After attending the common schools he continued his studies in Hillsdale College for two years and afterward engaged in teaching in the public schools through the winter months, while in the summer seasons his labors were devoted to the work of the farm. He was the only child born unto his parents that grew to mature years. He remained at home with his mother until twenty-one years of age and then started out in life on his own account. With a full realization of the fact that advancement can be most quickly secured through close application and unremitting diligence, he worked persistently and energetically and in due course of time he gained a place among the representative agriculturists of his adopted county. He was married on the 10th of August, 1861, to Miss Phebe Pegg, a daughter of Reuben and Rebecca (Hinshaw) Pegg, who were pioneer settlers of Cass county. Mrs. Nelson was born in Penn township on December 12, 1840, and has been a lifelong resident of Cass county. Her parents were natives of Randolph county, North Carolina, and came to Cass county in 1828, and her father was also one of the earliest settlers within the borders of this county. They were married at what was then called Whitmanville, but is now LaGrange, and they located in Penn township, where they continued to reside until called to the home beyond. They were the parents of five children, three daughters and two sons, of whom William and Sarah are now deceased. The others are: Mary, Abijah and Mrs. Phebe Pegg Nelson.
The young couple began their domestic life upon a farm in Penn township and in 1866 removed to Cassopolis, where Mr. Nelson established a sash and door factory in company with A. H. Pegg, in which business he continued until 1877, theirs being one of the leading productive industries of the county. In that year Mr. Nelson met with an accident, losing his left arm and also the sight of one eye. In the same year he was appointed postmaster and entered upon the duties of the office in 1878, filling the position for eight years and eight months in a most capable and satisfactory manner, giving a public-spirited and progressive administration. He then handed over the keys to L. H. Glover, who is editor of this volume, and in July, 1887, he embarked in the undertaking and furniture business, in which he continued until January, 1904. With the capital he had acquired and which was sufficient to supply him with the necessities and comforts of life through his remaining days, he retired from active business and is now enjoying a well earned rest. He has been a representative of agricultural, industrial and commercial life and in all departments of labor has displayed perseverance and industry combined with unfaltering business integrity.
In politics Mr. Nelson is a stanch Republican and in 1863 he served as supervisor of Penn Township. He was also superintendent of the poor from 1873 until 1876 and was village assessor of Cassopolis for about fourteen years. Upon the organization of the Cassopolis Library Association in March, 1871, Mr. and Mrs. Nelson took an active part in its work and have since done all in their power for the interests of the library. Mr. Nelson acted as president of the association during the first eight years of its existence and Mrs. Nelson was one if its directors, the first meeting being held at their home. In fact they were instrumental in establishing the library, and this institution, which is now a credit to the village and a matter of local pride, owes its existence and success in large measure to their efforts. For nineteen years Mr. Nelson has been treasurer of the Pioneer Society and active in its work. He is also connected with the Ancient Order of United Workman and his wife holds membership in the Disciples church. Mr. Nelson has been a resident of Cass county for sixty-three years and his wife throughout her entire life, and no couple are more deserving of esteem and confidence or are more justly entitled to representation in this volume than C. Carroll Nelson and his estimable wife. His entire freedom from ostentation or self-laudation has made him one of the most popular citizens of Cass county, with whose history he has now been long and prominently identified. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson have some old and rare relics of "ye olden tyme." They have a linen table cloth which is over a century old, and it was woven by Mr. Nelson's grandmother Nelson. They also have one of the most extensive libraries in the county of Cass. Mrs. Nelson has several rare bound volumes of collected views and engravings, which as a rare collection could not be found in southern Michigan.
Typed by Linda Curry
Return To Top
John O'Dell, one of the prominent and influential farmers and early settlers of Porter township, living on section 16, was born October 30, 1836, in this township and is therefore one of the oldest native sons of the county. He is a son of Nathan and Sarah (Drake) O'Dell. His paternal grandfather, Nathan G. O'Dell, Sr., was born in Virginia, November 4, 1772. The progenitors of this family came originally from England, and although for many generations the ancestors of our subject lived in Virginia, not a single member of the family ever owned slaves, and so far as is known all were opposed to the institution of slavery. Nathan G. O'Dell, Sr., was married to Miss Rebecca Kife, who was born in the old Dominion in July, 1780. He was a miller by trade and owned a mill in Virginia, where in connection with the operation of the plant he also carried on farming. Early in 1800, however, he removed with his family to Ohio, settling in Wayne county, where he took up land from the government. It was entirely raw and unimproved, but his strenuous labors soon converted it into a productive farm. He likewise owned and operated a grist mill, and was for twenty-eight years associated with business interests in the Buckeye state. In 1828 he came to Michigan, taking up his abode in the eastern part of what is now Porter township, Cass county. Here, too, he was a pioneer settler, living upon the frontier and sharing with others in the hardships and privations incident to life in a far western district. He continued to make his home in Porter township until his death, which occurred in October, 1835, and his wife followed him to the grave to months later. In their family were nine children: Thomas, the eldest, born June 22, 1796, was for more than forty years a minister of the Methodist church. He went to Iowa, where he devoted his life to his holy calling and there died in 1861. James, born September 13, 1798, married Nancy Carr and in early life came to Michigan, his death occurring in St. Joseph county, this state, September 24, 1835. John, born March 24, 1801, died in Ohio, August 19, 1826, prior to the removal of the family to Michigan. Nathan G., father of John O'Dell of this review, was the next of the family. Elizabeth, born May 21, 1806, was married in Ohio May 19, 1835, becoming Mrs. Metcalf. Enos P., born August 7, 1808, went to Illinois, where he followed farming until his death on the 22d of February, 1852. Lorenzo Dow, born October 9, 1810, was a member of congress from Ohio and died in that state about 1883. Rebecca, born May 17, 1812, married Thomas Burns, with whom she came to Michigan, and her death occurred in this state in September, 1846. Silas P., born April 15, 1814, died at the age of two years, on the 29th of September, 1819.
Nathan G. O'Dell, Jr., father of our subject, was born in Ohio, October 1, 1803, was there reared and was married in that state in 1828 to Miss Sarah Drake, whose birth occurred April 10, 1810. Immediately after their marriage they left Ohio, and with several other families came to Cass county, Michigan, settling in Porter township, where Mr. O'Dell and his father took up government land. He there began the development of a farm and in the course of years brought this land under a high state of cultivation. Unto him and his wife were born five children: James S., was born January 10, 1830. He married Jane Travers, who died about a year afterward leaving a child a few days old, who died when about nine years of age. On the 27th of February, 1859, James O'Dell wedded Caroline Loupee, who was born in Wayne county, Ohio, November 8, 1837, while her parents were natives of Germany. James O'Dell has four children: Martha, born April 23, 1860; Carrie M., May 18, 1865; Ida, December 11, 1870; and Ross, February 24, 1875. Thomas, born June 30, 1831, married Miss Lavina Travers. He was a farmer by occupation and was a leading and influential factor in local political circles, serving as justice of the peace and as supervisor and also as a member of the s since added seventy-eight acres to this place, making a farm of one hundred and twenty-one acres. It is fine property, well improved with modern equipments. There are good buildings upon the place and excellent farm implements, and for many years Mr. O'Dell carried on the active work of the fields, but is now renting his land, leaving the practical farm work to others, although he still gives his supervision to the place.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. O'Dell have been born three children: Lucy, the wife of O. K. Harvey, of Constantine, Michigan; Lydia Grace, the wife of Charles Barnard, who is also living in that place; and Dr. John H. O'Dell, who is a practicing physician of Three Rivers. Mr. O'Dell is one of the old settlers of the county, and has been identified with its upbuilding and progress through a long period. He has always voted with the Republican party, casting his ballot for Lincoln in 1860 and again in 1864, and for each man at the head of the ticket of that party. He and his wife belong to the First Baptist church at Porter, and he has led a life of integrity and uprightness, worthy the regard which is uniformly given him. He has now reached the psalmist's span of three score years and ten, and his entire life has been passed in this county. He can remember in his boyhood days of the forests which covered what are now some of the best farms in the county. There were few roads laid out through the wilderness, and often one followed old Indian trails in making their way among the trees to a given point. The work of development and upbuilding seemed scarcely begun and Mr. O'Dell shared in the task of improving the county. He became familiar with the arduous work of developing and cultivating new land, and for many years was closely associated with agricultural interests, but is now living retired, having a good property which returns him a gratifying income, thus supplying him with all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. He can tell many tales of pioneer days which show the onward
Return To Top
May Arnold Olds, interested in general farming on section 6, Mason township, was here born on the 4th of July 1858 and thus the home place is endeared to him through the associations of his boyhood as well as through his connections of later years when he was found in the old farm the source of a good livelihood gained through his untiring efforts to cultivate and improve the fields.
He had two uncles, Harvey and Lester Olds, who were among the early settlers of the county and occupied the first store in Adamsville. They were extensive grain dealers, conducting a very important business in that day. His father, Mills Olds, was a native of Cayuga county, New York, and was there reared and married. He wedded Miss Mary Brown Arnold, whose birth occurred in Cayuga county in the year 1822. Being early left an orphan, she was reared by her grandparents, but Joseph Arnold was her guardian. The Olds family comes of English and German ancestry.
The parents of our subject were married at Sennett, New York, on the 24th of December 1845 and began their domestic life in the Empire state, whence in 1849 they removed to Cass county, Michigan, locating on section 6, Mason township, where Mr. Olds paid five dollars per acre for a tract of land which was then unimproved. He built a log house and in true pioneer style began life in this district. ... There he continued to reside until his death, which occurred when he was in the sixty-eighth year of his age.
His political allegiance was given to the Democracy, and though he never sought office or attempted to figure in public life in that way he was numbered among the pioneers of the county who were closely connected with its upbuilding and progress, cooperating in the labors of those who have made the county what it is today. His wife died in her thirty-seventh year. In the family were two sons, but the elder, Stephen S. Olds, is now deceased.
May Arnod Olds, whose name introduces this record, was but six months old at the time of his mother's death, after which he was reared by his aunt, Harriet Olds. His education was acquired in the Adamsville schools and after putting aside his textbooks he entered business life in connection with the conduct of a meat market at Nappanee, Elkhart county, Indiana. There he remained for four years, but with this exception he has continuously been a resident of Mason township, Cass county, from his birth to the present time.
As a companion and helpmate for life's journey he chose Miss Allie Thompson, whom he wedded on Christmas day of 1883. Her paternal great-grandfather served for more than seven years in the Revolutionary War, taking part in many important engagements. He lived to enjoy the benefits of liberty, passing away at the very advanced age of ninety years, at which time he was making his home in Kentucky. His grandfather, Samuel Thompson, was a soldier of the War of 1812. She is a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Holmes) Thompson. Her father was born near Coventry in Orleans county, Vermont, 16 December 1818 and came to Cass county, Michigan, in June 1837 when in his eighteenth year. He located first at Adamsville, where he was employed in a flouring mill, and he afterward became a partner with Mr. Redfield in the milling business, conducting that enterprise for six years. In the meantime he had purchased eighty acres of land on section 16, Mason township, and he turned his attention to farming after retiring from the milling business.
He voted with the Democracy and held a number of local offices, including that of township supervisor, in which he served for many years ... He was also connected with the national Democratic paper at Cassopolis at an early day ...
He was married in February 1848 to Miss Elizabeth Holmes, a native of Rochester, New York, and they became the parents of seven children, of whom two died in infancy, one of these being killed by lightning. Mr. Thompson was twice married, his second union being with Maria King, and there were four children born to them.
Mrs. Olds is the youngest child of her father's first marriage and was only about six months old when her mother passed away at the age of thirty-six years. Mrs. Olds was born in section 16, Mason township, 27 September 1858 and pursued her education in the schools of Elkhart and in the Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso. She became a successful educator, teaching for eight and a half years in Jefferson, Calvin and Mason townships and also in the city of Elkhart, Indiana. By her marriage she has become the mother of two sons: Henry Thompson, who was born 31 August 1886 and is at home assisting in the improvement of the farm, and Carlton, who was born 14 September 1889 and is now a student in Elkhart.
Following their marriage in 1883, Mr. and Mrs. Olds located in Nappanee and in 1887 returned to the farm upon which they now reside, having since made it their home, and the pretty country seat is known as "June Mede." Here Mr. Olds has one hundred thirty and a half acres of well improved land ... under a high state of cultivation ... He organizaed what is now known as the Pullman Telephone Company, of which he is now president, its lines covering Mason township and also extending into Ontwa township. ... His political suport is given to the Democracy, and he has held the office of justice of the peace, taking an active part in the administration of public affairs and doing all in his power to promote the general welfare. ...
Typed by Larry Sullivan
note:Note: Capitalization, style and punctuation of original text have been
followed throughout except for the occasional insertion of commas in long
compound sentences. Several long paragraphs also have been divided up for ease
of reading. Deletions are marked by elipses (...).]
Return To Top
Jerry O'Rourke, a prominent and influential farmer of Silver Creek township, living on section 21, was born in this township 6 December 1853. His father, Timothy O'Rourke, was a native of Ireland and in early life crossed the Atlantic to America. He became a resident of Cass county about 1841, settling in Silver Creek township. He married Margaret Haggerty, also a native of Ireland, who came to America with her parents in her girlhood days. The Haggerty family was also established in Cass county in pioneer times.
Mr. O'Rourke died when only forty-one years of age and was long survived by his wife, who passed away in 1893 at the age of seventy years. In their family were thre children, who reached adult age.
Jerry O'Rourke, the second child and only son, grew to maturity, was reared in his native township and acquired a common-school education. He is a stanch Democrat, who throughout the period of his manhood has taken a deep and active interest in public affairs and does all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of his party. The first office which he ever held was that of supervisor, being elected to the position in 1887 and serving for fourconsecutive years. He was again chosen in 1894, and at that time by re-election continued in office for seven years, so that his incumbency as supervisor covers altogether a period of eleven years. He has also served as a member of the Democratic county committee, and has taken an active interest in campaign work. He was the first Democrat ever elected to office in his township ...
For many years Mr. O'Rourke was interested in dealing in stock. He rents his farm, however, a part of the time. He has one hundred acres of land which is rich and productive, and he also buys and sells land, speculating to a considerable extent ...
He belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of the Maccabees, and has a very wide and favorable acquaintance in the county.
Typed by Larry Sullivan
[Editing note:Note: Capitalization, style and punctuation of original
text have been followed throughout except for the occasional insertion of
commas in long compound sentences. Several long paragraphs also have been
divided up for ease of reading. Deletions are marked by elipses (...).]
Return To Top
Charles Ouderkirk, a representative agriculturist, thoroughly familiar by reason of practical experience with he best methods of carrying on farm work, resides on section 4, Mason township, where he now owns and operates ninety-six and a half acres of land. He was born in the neighboring state of Indiana, his birth having occurred on the banks of the St. Joseph river on the site of the present city of Elkhart, in Elkhart county, October 8, 1843. His grandfather, Adam Ouderkirk, was born in Scotland, where he spent his boyhood and youth, and in early manhood, seeking better business opportunities and advantages, he crossed the Atlantic, locating in New York city. His father, John Ouderkirk, is a native of Onondaga county, New York, where he was reared and educated. Removing westward, he settled in Elkhart county, Indiana, in 1841, upon a tract of land upon which the city has been partially built. He first rented land and afterward removed to a farm three miles northeast of Elkhart, where he continued to make his home and carry on general agricultural pursuits up to the time of his death, which occurred when he was in his seventy-ninth year. His life was a busy and useful one, and his unfaltering diligence constituted the key which unlocked for him the portals of success. In his political allegiance he was a Democrat, and served as township trustee. John Ouderkirk was united in marriage to Miss Mary Wilkes, a native of New York, whose father was a native of England. Mrs. Ouderkirk also lived to a very advanced age, passing away in her eightieth year. She shared with her husband in the hardships and privations of pioneer life, and was a worth assistant and helpmate to him on lifes journey. In their family were five children, three daughters and two sons, all of whom reached mature years, the family record being as follows: Elma Jane and Andrew H., both now deceased: Elizabeth the wife of J. M. McDonald, of South Bend: Charles, of this review: and Amelia, who is the wife of Orlando Babcock, of Waverly, Iowa.
Charles Ouderkirk was the fourth in order of birth in this family and was reared in the county of his nativity, acquiring a common school education, after which he assisted in the work of the home farm until he had passed his twenty-first birthday. In 1865 he enlisted in response to his countrys call for troops, and served with the Union army as a member of Company A. One Hundred and Fifty-second Indiana volunteer Infantry, until the close of the war, acting as duty sergeant. When hostilities had ceased he returned to Elkhart and was engaged in farming on the old homestead.
On the 22nd of January, 1872, Mr. Ouderkirk was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Dickerhoof, a daughter of Samuel and Abigail (Gearhart) Dickerhoof, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. She had a twin sister, Lovina, and they were born in Portage county, Ohio, August 2, 1847, being only two years old when taken by their parents to Indiana, their girlhood days being passed near Elkhart.
In the year 1892 Mr. and Mrs. Ouderkirk removed to Mason township, Cass county, locating on the farm where he now resides. He is a general farmer and stock man, who has placed his fields under a high state of cultivation and raises good grades of stock which find a ready sale on the market. There has been nothing especially exciting in his life history, which has been characterized, however, by faithfulness to duty in all lifes relations. Unto him and his wife have been born three children but all have passed away. He votes with the Democracy, and has served as a member of the board of review. He is a member of Elmer Post, G. A. R., at Elkhart, Indiana, and in fraternal and social circles is esteemed for his genuine worth. His attention is given to his farm, which, comprising ninety-six and a half acres of land, has been placed under a high state of cultivation and is now an excellent tract, returning golden harvests for the care and labor bestowed upon it.
Typed by Carol Foss
Return To Top
Elias Pardee, now living retired in Dowagiac after a life of business activity and usefulness that has brought him well merited success, was born in Knox county, Ohio, October 7, 1826. His father, Isaac Pardee, was a native of New York, born 1781. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a native of France and in early life became a resident of the Empire state, being accompanied by two brothers on his emigration to the new world. All of the Pardees in this country are representatives of families founded by these three brothers. It was about the closing period of the Revolutionary war that Isaac Pardee was born and in the place of his nativity he was reared and educated. In early life he learned and followed the shoemaker's trade and in 1816 he removed to Knox county, Ohio, locating about twelve miles west of Mount Vernon in Bloomfield township. There he engaged in general farming until his removal to Michigan in 1850, at which time he located in Berrien county, where he died on the 31st of August, 1850. His wife, Lucy Dickerman, was a native of New Haven, Connecticut, and died in Berrien county, Michigan, September 5, 1850. In the family were two sons and two daughters, who reached adult age. Of this number Smith Pardee lived to be eighty-five years of age and passed away in Clayton county, Iowa. Mary is the widow of Andrew Foster and is now living in Brooking, Iowa, at the age of eighty-six years. Susan died in Middlebury, Elkhart county, Indiana, at the age of seventy-nine years.
Elias Pardee, the youngest of the family, spent the days of his boyhood and youth in his native place, remaining on the home farm until eighteen years of age and acquiring his education in one of the old-time log school houses of that day. In 1844 he started out in life on his own account, making his way to Berrien county, Michigan. There he worked as a lumberman, chopping cord wood and grubbing white oak grubs. He was employed by the day and his life was a strenuous one fraught with unremitting arduous toil. In 1850 he came to Dowagiac, where he entered the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad Company as a laborer at the freight house. He was thus engaged until 1858, when he was promoted to the position of freight and express agent, in which capacity he served for four years. Saving his money, he at length, through his diligence and frugality, had acquired sufficient capital to enable him to invest in farm lands and he bought a place in Pokagon township, Cass county, near Dowagiac. He then rented the farm but retained the ownership thereof until 1865, when he disposed of all of his farming interests. In 1876 he purchaased the Sister Lakes summer resort, paying one hundred dollars per acre for the property. He at once began its improvement and converted the place into a resort for the entertainment of summer visitors, building cottages, a hotel, a dance hall and skating rink. In fact, he made all of the improvements at the resort, which he conducted successfully until January, 1886, when he disposed of this interest. Since that time he has lived retired from the active management of business affairs save for the supervision of his investments.
Mr. Pardee was married in 1853 to Miss Lydia Rice, a daughter of Moses and Annis Rice, and a native of New York, in which state her girlhood days were passed. Her death occurred April 4, 1901. In his political views Mr. Pardee was a Republican until the Cleveland administration. He has served as assessor of the city and was alderman in 1870. He has a wide acquaintance in the county, where he has now resided for fifty-four years and has taken an active and helpful interest in its growth and the promotion of its welfare. He occupies a fine residence, which was built in 1861 and is one of the best homes in Dowagiac. During the forty years of his connection with Cass county he has traveled in all of the western states, making fourteen trips to the Dakotas, Montana and the northwest. He has traveled altogether more that one hundred thousand miles on hunting trips, which was the occasion of his many trips to the northwest. He has seen the Rocky mountains and the bad lands of Dakota, has crossed the plains about six times and hunted buffaloes on the western prairies until they were extinct. He began making these western trips in 1872 and continued to do so each year until 1883. His experiences have been of a varied and interesting nature and have to some extent been fraught with the hardships, dangers and privations incident to western frontier life. He has carefully managed his business affairs, however, as the years have gone by and his labors are now crowned with success, which makes it possible for him to enjoy well-earned ease amidst the fruits of his former toil.
Typed by Gloria Gibbell
Return To Top
William E. Parsons, prominent among the old settlers of Cass county, his home being on section 23, Milton township, has for more than a half century resided in this part of the state. He has seen the country develop from a wild region with only a few white inhabitants to a rich agricultural district containing thousands of good homes and acres of growing towns inhabited by an industrious, prosperous, enlightened and progressive people. He, too, has participated in and assisted the slow, persistent work of development which was necessary to produce a change that is so complete that the county of today bears scarcely any resemblance to the district in which he spent his boyhood days.
Mr. Parsons is, however, a native of Milton township, born January 18, 1851. His father, Benjamin Parsons, was a native of Delaware and came to Cass county, Michigan, about 1845, settling in Milton township. He died when forty-five years of age and was long survived by his wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Abbott and was a native of Delaware. Her death occurred in Milton township in 1892, when she had reached the age of sixty-five years. They were the parents of seven children, one of whom died in infancy, while all the others reached manhood or womanhood and are still living.
William E. Parsons is the second child of the family and was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, no event of special importance occurring to vary the routine of farm labor and school work in his youth. He attended the common district schools, thus acquiring a good practical education, and he has always followed the occupation to which he was reared, engaging in general farming. He has also carried on threshing for about twenty-five years in this county, and has thus become well known here.
Mr. Parsons has taken an active and helpful interest in public affairs, his progressive citizenship standing as an unquestioned fact in his career. He votes with the Democracy and has held many offices in his township. He was treasurer for two years and supervisor for six years, being elected to the latter office for several terms. His entire life has been passed in this county and he is closely identified with its farming interests. He now owns ninety-two acres of good land on section 23, Milton township, and has brought his farm under a high state of cultivation, adding to it modern equipments and so developing the fields that he now annually harvests rich crops.
Typed by:Barbara O'Reagan
Return To Top
Laurence B. Pattison, a farmer and representative citizen of Pokagon township living on section 25, was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, March 5, 1838 a son of Daniel H. and Alrina (Davis) Pattison, both of whom were natives of the state of New York, the mother having been born in Allegany county. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and after learning and following that business for some time became a shoe merchant. Unto him and his wife were born four daughters and four sons, of whom Laurence was the second son and second child. The family record is as follows: Edwin, deceased; Laurence; Rosella, who has also passed away; Harriet; Daniel; Mary; Eunice; and William, deceased. All reached adult age, although three have now passed away. The death of the father occurred in 1868.
Laurence B. Pattison was reared to manhood in Manchester, Michigan, acquired a public school education and there became familiar with farm work in all its departments. Thinking that he might have better business opportunities in the west, he came to Cass county on the 10th of February, 1860, and entered the employ of Henry Stretch, for whom he worked as a farm hand for about two years. In the latter part of 1861 he left that employ and went to Dowagiac, Michigan, where he spent a part of the winter, and in the spring of 1862 he located on Little Prairie, being employed by Jasper Vancuren until January, 1864.
On the 19th of that month Mr. Pattison was married to Miss Hannah Van Vlear, a native of Pokagon township, Cass county, born September 16, 1844. Her parents were George and Kate (Ferris) Van Vlear, pioneer settlers of Cass county, who took up their abode here in 1833, coming to Michigan from Ohio. They were married in Ohio, and on leaving that state settled upon a farm which is now the home of Mr. Pattison. In their family were five children, three of whom were born in the Buckeye state, while two were born in Cass county. John and Phebe, twins, are deceased, and Lewis, the fourth child, has also passed away. The others are Katherine and Hannah. Mrs. Pattison was educated in Pokagon township, pursuing her studies in an old log school house. At the time of his marriage Mr. Pattison rented one hundred and ten acres of land, upon which he lived for twenty-two years. He then, in 1886, removed to the farm which he recently owned, having purchased the place some years before from Mrs. Pattison's father. It comprised one hundred and twenty acres of land, which is rich and arable, and the well tilled fields annually returned to him excellent harvests, while his crops found a ready sale on the market. He recently sold this place, however, and bought a farm in Wayne township consisting of one hundred and forty acres, formerly known as the Coply farm.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Pattison have been born two sons and a daughter: Estelle, born December 4, 1864; Wilbur, who was born January 16, 1866, and died January 10, 1883; and Adelbert, born December 27, 1871. All are natives of Cass county. In his political views Mr. Pattison is a Democrat where national issues are involved, but at local elections votes independently and has taken an active part in political interests in his home locality. He belongs to Pokagon lodge, No. 36, A. F. & A. M., and is also connected with the United Workmen of Dowagiac. His residence in Cass county covers a period of forty-five years, during which time he has worked persistently and energetically and all the success that he has achieved is attributable entirely to his own efforts, his present farm being the visible evidence of his life of thrift and industry.
Typed by:Barbara O'Reagan
Return To Top
John H. PHILLIPS, an enterprising citizen and merchant of Pokagon township, who is also filling the office of township supervisor and exerts strong and beneficial influence in behalf of public affairs, was born in the western part of Germany on the 12th of July, 1841. His father, John PHILLIPS, was a native of the same country and was a shoemaker by trade. He married Miss Helen HILL, likewise a native of Germany, and they became the parents of five sons, John H. being the fourth in order of birth. In the year 1856 the father crossed the Atlantic to America, locating first in New Buffalo, Berrien county, Michigan, where he purchased forty acres of raw land. This was covered with timber, which he cleared away, and as the years advanced he placed his farm under a very high state of cultivation and made it a productive property. There he remained until his death, which occurred in 1868. His political support was given to the Democracy, and he was a worthy and public spirited citizen.
John H. PHILLIPS spent the first fifteen years of his life in the land of his birth and then accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. Farm work early became familiar to him and he gave his attention to general agricultural pursuits until 1864, when, at the age of twenty-three years, he enlisted as a member of Company F, Eighth Michigan Cavalry, in defense of the Union. He served with that command until the close of the war, being mostly engaged in scouting, and in October, 1865, he was mustered out, having made a creditable record by his faithful performance of every duty that was assigned him.
When the country no longer needed his aid Mr. PHILLIPS returned to Berrien county and entered upon his active business career as clerk in the freighting office of the Michigan Central Railroad Company. He was there employed until 1872, when he came to Cass county, Michigan, settling in the village of Pokagon. Here he was also in the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad Company until 1885, when, with the capital he had saved from his earnings, he established a general store, which he has since conducted, being an enterprising merchant and meeting with very desirable success. His earnest efforts to please his patrons, his reasonable prices and his straightforward dealing constitute the basis of his prosperity since he became a factor in mercantile circles in Pokagon.
Mr. PHILLIPS had been married in Berrien county in 1865 to Miss Mary RAIZA, a native of Germany, who was brought to America when four years of age, and was reared in Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. PHILLIPS have become the parents of thirteen children, seven sons and six daughters. In his religious faith Mr. PHILLIPS is a Catholic, and in his political affiliation is a stanch Democrat. In 1897 he was elected township supervisor and has since held the office by re-election. He has also been township clerk for a number of years. His fraternal relations are with the Odd Fellows and Masons, and he is true to the teachings of these orders, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit upon which the lodges rest. He has been found capable in public office, trustworthy in his business relations and faithful in his friendships, and thus the consensus of public opinion concerning L. H. PHILLIPS is most favorable.
Typed by Caral MECHLING BENNETT
Return To Top
He whose name introduces this review has gained recognition as one of the able and successful physicians of Cass county, and by his labors, his high professional attainments and his sterling characteristics has deserved the respect and confidence in which he is held by the medical fraternity and the local public. He resides in Union, where he is practicing his profession, and he is also serving as county coroner.
Dr. Planck is a native of Indiana, his birth having occurred in LaGrange county on the 27th of September, 1869. His father, C. K. Planck, was a native of Pennsylvania, and a miller by trade. He followed that pursuit in Indiana for a number of years, and in 1877 crossed the border into Michigan, settling in Porter township, Cass county, where he is still living, devoting his attention to agricultural pursuits. He married Miss Emma Duesler, a native of Ohio, born in Sandusky county. She, too, is yet living. In their family were six children, three sons and three daughters, and Dr. Planck, who is the eldest of the number, was a youth of thirteen years when the family came to Michigan. He attended school in Union, living during that time with Dr. Bulhand, and at the age of sixteen years he began teaching, which profession he followed successfully and capably for seven years in the district schools of the county. He afterward continued his studies in the Northern Indiana Normal College at Valparaiso, and in the University of Illinois, and thus gained broad, general information, which served as in excellent basis for his professional knowledge. Determining upon the practice of medicine as a life work he matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Chicago, and completed the regular course, being graduated there in the class of 1894. Immediately afterward he located in Union, where he has since been successfully engaged in practice, and that he is capable and skillful is indicated by the liberal patronage extended to him.
Dr. Planck was united in marriage in 1892 to Miss Grace E. Hartman, a daughter of Joseph and Eliza (Rinehart) Hartman. Three children have graced this marriage, Joseph W., George E. and Lena, but the latter died at the age of fifteen months. Dr. Planck votes with the Republican party and is serving for the third term as county coroner, having been elected in 1898, again in 1902 and a third time in 1904. He has held various local offices in this township and his duties have been promptly and faithfully performed. He belongs to the Knights of the Maccabees and to the Masonic fraternity, and in his life work finds ample opportunity to exemplify the spirit of beneficence and helpfulness, which is the basic element in the craft. In addition to a large private practice he is examining physician for many insurance companies and he belongs to Cass County Medical Society, the Michigan State Medical Society, the Mississippi Valley Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He thus keeps in touch with the advance[d] thought of the profession, and by reading and research is continually broadening his knowledge and promoting his efficiency. He is widely recognized as an able physician, not only by the general public but also by the medical fraternity.
Typed by Carol Foss
Return To Top
Charles W. Poe has been a resident of Newberg township for fifty-three years and therefore justly deserves to be classed with the old settlers. He has a farm of one hundred and forty-eight acres, which is carefully cultivated and improved, his entire life having been devoted to agricultural pursuits. This tract of land lies on section 21, Newberg township, and is now a valuable property, owing to the care and labor which he has bestowed upon it. Mr. Poe is one of Michigan's native sons, for his birth occurred in Fabius township, St. Joseph county, on the 5th of August, 1853. His father, Charles R. Poe, was a native of Crawford county, Ohio, and was the son of George Poe, who continued his residence in Crawford county until 1835 and then sought a home in Michigan, making his way to Cass county, which was then a wild and unimproved region. Most of the land was raw and uncultivated and only here and there had a little settlement been made amidst the dense forest to show that the work of civilization and improvement had been begun. George Poe located on land on section 22, Newberg township, entering the same from the government on the 16th of September, 1835. Not a furrow had been turned, not an improvement made, and the arduous task of developing the land developed upon Mr. Poe and his sons. He, however, possessed the spirit of the pioneer such as was displayed by his ancestor, Adam Poe, the famous Indian fighter.
Charles R. Poe, the father of our subject, was reared amid the wild scenes of frontier life, sharing with the family in the usual hardships and trials incident to settling in the far west. He took part in the work of cutting the timber, clearing the land, and throughout his entire life he followed the occupation of farming. He was twice married, the first union being with Miss Cassie Newell, who died leaving three children, one of whom yet survives, namely: George W. Poe, who makes his home near Jones. After losing his first wife Mr. Poe was joined in wedlock to Miss Julia Schall, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to Michigan with her parents, the family home being established in St. Joseph county. There were two sons and four daughters born of this marriage and with one exception all are yet living. All were born in this county with the exception of Charles W. and George W. Poe, who were young when their parents removed to Newberg township.
He was reared here to farm life and pursued his education in the district schools, wherein he mastered the branches of English learning usually taught in such institutions. During the summer months he worked in the fields and remained at home until twenty-two years of age, assisting in the task of clearing the farm and placing it under the plow. He gained practical knowledge of the best methods of tilling the fields, learned to know what was demanded in the soil for the various crops and the most favorable time of planting, so that he was well qualified to engage in farm work on his own account when he married and established a home of his own.
It was on the 25th of August, 1875, that Mr. Poe was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Thomas, a daughter of William and Delight (Galpin) Thomas. Her father was a native of New York and on removing to Michigan settled in Macomb county. In his family were six children, two sons and four daughters, of whom Mrs. Poe was the second child. She was thirteen years of age when brought to the west and has since lived in Cass county. At the time of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Poe began their domestic life on a farm on section 22, Newberg township, and there in the midst of the forest he cleared a tract of land. Their first house was a log cabin eighteen by twenty-four feet, two stories in height. Mr. Poe continued the work of cultivating the place for fourteen years, when he removed to his present farm on section 21, Newberg township. Here he has one hundred and forty-eight acres of productive land, which he has brought under a high state of cultivation. He has been a hard-working man and has lived a busy and useful life, his labors resulting in bringing him a comfortable competence.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Poe have been born four daughters: Loviso, the wife of Delbert Stephenson, who is living in Newberg township; Minnie, the wife of William Kahler, also of Newbert township; Mabel, the wife of William Meek, of Emmet county, Michigan; and Leon, at home. The name of Poe has been closely associated with the history of the county through many long years, the grandfather of our subject taking a very active and helpful part in the early pioneer development, and Poe cemetery was named in his honor. The work of progress was carried on by the father and has been continued by our subject, who is an enterprising citizen, desirous of promoting the best interests of the county. In his political views he is a Democrat, but without aspiration for office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business affairs. He is well known in Cass county, where he has son long resided, having lived continuously on sections 21 and 22 in this township for fifty-three years, and has an extensive circle of friends. Both he and his wife are estimable people and well deserve mention in this volume among the representative citizens of the county.
Return To Top
Isaac S. Pound is one of the leading old settlers of Cass county and a veteran of the Civil war. Coming to southern Michigan at an early day he has assisted in making the county what it is, the labors of the early settlers winning for it a place among the leading counties of this great commonwealth. His mind bears the impress of the early historic annals of southern Michigan and he can relate many interesting incidents of the early days when the land was largely unimproved and the work of development had been scarcely begun. He was born in Ontario county, New York, September 22, 1837, and is of English lineage. His paternal great-grandparents came from England, settling in New Jersey. The great-grandfather, Thomas Pound, served as a soldier of the Revolutionary war, becoming aide-de-camp on the staff of General Washington and acting for a part of the time as staff quartermaster. He had three sons, Thomas, Isaac and John. The second was the grandfather of our subject and he, too, manifested his loyalty to his country by serving in the war of 1812 as a private. The family record is notable because of the industry, integrity and high principles of its representatives. There has never been a drunkard, a pauper nor a criminal among the Pounds and such a record is one of which any man might well be proud.
Thomas Pound, father of our subject, was a native of Orange county, New York, in which locality he was reared and educated. He married in that county to Miss Sallie Smith, also a native of that county and a daughter of Isaac Smith, who likewise served as a private in the war of 1812. He was supposed to have been of Irish lineage. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Pound removed to Chemung county, New York, and afterward became residents of Ontario county, that state, where they resided until 1844. Hoping to enjoy better opportunities in the west they then started for Michigan and as this was before the era of railroad transportation, they traveled by wagon, making their way direct to Newberg township, Cass county, where Mr. Pound had secured one hundred and sixty acres of land. The tract was entirely wild and uncultivated, not an improvement having been made on the place. He first built a log house about sixteen by twenty-four feet and then began to clear the land, performing the arduous task of cutting away the timber, taking out the stumps and preparing the fields for the plow,. In due course of time, however, his land was placed under cultivation and brought forth rich harvests. He was a hard working man, energetic and enterprising, and was regarded as one of the leading and representative early citizens of his community. His political allegiance was given to the Whig party until the organization of the Republican party, when he joined its ranks and continued one of its supporters until his death. He served as highway commissioner and acted as a member of the grand jury that held a session in 1856. His religious faith was indicated by his membership and loyalty to the Protestant Methodist church. He died upon the old homestead November 26, 1963, and was for some years survived by his wife, who reached the advance age of eighty-three years. In their family were eight children, seven sons and a daughter, of which number five reached adult age, while four are still living.
Isaac S. Pound, the second child and the first born son of this marriage, was a lad of seven summers when brought by his parents to Cass county. His education was acquired in one of the old-time log schoolhouses of the township, with its slab seats and other primitive furnishings. The building was heated by a large fireplace, occupying almost one entire end of the room. His educational privileges, however, were very limited, for his services were needed upon the farm and he assisted in the development of the fields until about twenty-one years of age. He afterward took charge of the old homestead property, which he had farmed for three years, when he purchased the place upon which he now resides. For a year thereafter he kept bachelors hall, but in March 1862, won a companion and helpmate for lifes journey, being married at that time to Miss Elizabeth Hinchman, a daughter of J. K. and Panena (White) Hinchman. Mrs. Pound was born in Boone county, West Virginia, and was seven years of ages when she came to Cass county with her parents, who settled in Silver Creek township. She was the youngest in a family of seven children. At the time of this marriage Mr. Pound brought his bride to the farm upon which he now resides, having lived here for forty-five consecutive years with the exception of a brief period of four years spent in VanBuren county and his term of service in the war of the Rebellion. In August, 1864, he responded to the countrys urgent need for troops, enlisting as a member of the Fourteenth Michigan Battery of Light Artillery, and served until July, 1865, when, the war having closed, he was mustered out as a private and returned to his home. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Pound has been blessed with six children, who are yet living: Ella, now the wife of Fred W. Timm, a resident of Cassopolis; Fred J., a mail carrier living in Marcellus, Michigan; Eve E., the wife of Andrew J. Poe, whose home is in Newberg township; Carrie, the wife of Thomas G. Barks of Vandalia; Arthur W., who is living upon the old home farm; and Jane, the wife of W. Butler of Newberg township.
Throughout his entire life Mr. Pound has followed the occupation of farming, and is now the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of arable land, which he has brought under a high state of cultivation, and it is known as The Maple Grove Farm. there are good buildings upon the place and he has divided the land into fields of convenient size by well kept fences. He has secured many of the late improved farm implements and in all of his work is progressive and enterprising. He votes with the Republican party and is unfaltering in his advocacy of its principles. He has attended the county conventions for forty years or more, usually as a delegate, and his opinions have carried weight in the party councils. He held some minor offices, and at all times is loyal and progressive in his citizenship. He belongs to W. J. May post, No. 65, G.A.R., in which he has filled all the chairs save that of chaplain, and he has been a member of the Grange for more than thirty years. His residence in the county covers a period of sixty-one years, and he has been closely and helpfully identified with its development and progress. When the family located in Michigan there were only about twenty-five voters in Newberg township, and now there are about five hundred. There were a number of wild animals and considerable wild game, including bears, wolves, deer and turkeys and prairie chickens, so that it was not a difficult talk for the pioneer settle to secure game for his table. This was largely a timer region, the forests having as yet been uncut, but today there are seen waving fields of grain where once stood the native trees. The little pioneer cabins have long since given place to commodious and substantial farm residences, while here and there towns and villages have sprung up, containing excellent industrial and commercial interests. Mr. Pound rejoices in what has been accomplished, and at all times he is regarded as a citizen whose aid can be counted upon to further every movement or measure for the public good.
Typed by:Carol Foss
Return To Top
William F. Puterbaugh, supervisor of Calvin township and living on section 18, is a native of the neighboring state of Indiana, his birth having occurred in Concord township, Elkhart county, on the 25th of September, 1852. He is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Patterson) Puterbaugh. His paternal grandfather, George Puterbaugh, was a native of Pennsylvania, and the great-grandfather, a native of Germany, was the only representative of his family that ever came to America as far as the knowledge of his posterity extends. George Puterbaugh was reared in the Keystone state, learned the millwrights trade in early life and built many mills. He was also a farmer and was quite a successful business man, providing liberally for his family. He was also a minister of the German Baptist church and took an active part in the moral development of the communities in which he lived and labored.
Joseph Puterbaugh, father of our subject, was born in Ohio and in the year 1849 removed to Elkhart county, Indiana, where he engaged in farming. For many years he followed that pursuit, but eventually put aside business cares and in the enjoyment of a well earned rest made his home in the city of Elkhart during the last ten years of his life. He also filled the office of justice of the peace and was assessor of Concord township. Local progress and national advancement were both causes dear to his heart and his active co-operation could be counted upon for the benefit of any plan or movement intended for the general good of his county. He married Miss Sarah Patterson, who was born in central Indiana and died in Elkhart county in her sixty-fifth year. She was of Scotch lineage and was a daughter of William Patterson, who was born in the state of New York. He left home when a small boy under peculiar circumstances and therefore little is known concerning the ancestral history of the family.
William F. Puterbaugh, whose name introduces this record, is the eldest in a family of three sons and two daughters. He was reared in Concord township, Elkhart county, Indiana, and at the usual age entered the district schools, wherein he mastered various branches of learning that qualified him for lifes practical and responsible duties. he afterward remained at home until about twenty-six years of age and assisted in the work of the farm from the time of early spring planting until crops were harvested in the ate autumn. Thus he gained practical knowledge of the business which he has made his life work and which now claims his time and energies.
March 17, 1878, occurred the marriage of Mr. Puterbaugh and Miss Ida M. Dodge, a daughter of Eliphalet and Sarah J. (Riggs) Dodge. Mrs. Puterbaugh was a native of Elkhart county, where her parents located at an early day, and there her girlhood days were passed. She, too, was a student in the public schools and in her fathers home she was trained to the duties of the household, so that she was well equipped to care for a home of her own at the time of her marriage. Supplementing her training in the common schools she took a full teachers course at the Goshen Normal, at Goshen, Indiana, graduating in the class of 1874, and was a successful teacher in her native county of Elkhart, Indiana, from 1872 to 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Puterbaugh began their domestic life in concord township, Elkhart county, where he engaged in farming. He lived in three different townships of that county, remaining for four years in Concord township, two years in Osolo township and one year in Baugo township. He then removed to California, in 1884, and spent one year on the Pacific coast, crossing the continent each time by rail. When he again came to the middle west he established his home in Calvin township, Cass county, where he purchased the farm upon which he has since resided. Here he has one hundred and seven acres of good land, which he has improved in many ways. He has brought his fields under a high state of cultivation and annually harvests therefrom good crops. He also has good grades of stock upon his place and the improvements are in keeping with the modern farm properties of the twentieth century. He votes with the Republican party, and in 1905 was elected to the office township supervisor, which position he has since filled. He has also been officially connected with the schools of this community, and he is a valued and exemplary member of the Masonic lodge at Cassopolis and of the Odd Fellows lodge at Redfield, Cass county. His residence in the county covers about twenty-two years, and his record has ever been such as would bear close investigation and scrutiny, for he has conducted his business affairs honorabley, has lived at peace with his fellow men and has wrought along lines contributing to individual success and to the public good as well.
Typed by Carol Foss
Return To Top