Family Group Sheets
|| b.27 February 1834 Guilderland, Albany County, New York
Lucy M. HALL
b.Bet. 1840 & 1843 Madison Co., New York
parents of Lucy M. HALL are - Hiram HALL (1806) & Ann
Mariah HAIGHT (28 May 1814)
|parents of (Simon
Henry GROOT (27 November 1811)
Nelly Ann BLESSING
(01 May 1814)
- [F] Cora (b.20
November 1859 New York)
d.27 March 1941 Coopersville, Ottawa Co., Michigan
married Charles O'CONNER
- [M] Henry (b.Abt.
1862 New York)
married Alta (UNKNOWN)
- [M] George (b.Abt.
1865 New York)
- [M] Charles (b.Abt.
1867 New York)
- [F] Nellie (b.April
married William M. LAWRENCE
- [F] Sarah (b.Abt.
December 1873 )
d.20 November 1874 Shiawassee Co., Michigan
- [M] Frank (b.abt 1875
- [F] Rosa (b.1878
- [M] Ray (b.12 June
d.01 October 1881 Vernon Twp., Shiawasse Co., Michigan
|fact sources and
writings about this individual:|
Following are some notes and sources about this family.
(1) Surname Files (on-line GedCom) of Mrs. Betty Fink
(Simon Grote / Groot / Groat birth data) ABT 1834 in Albany Co., NY
(2) 1860 Population Schedules of the Eighth Census of the United
States Simon GROTE. Sullivan, Chittenango Township, Madison County,
(3) 1870 Michigan Census Index (Simon Grote / Groot /
Groat birth data) Simon's birth date was about 1832, in New York
(4) 1870 Michigan, US Census Simon GROTE. Vernon Township,
Shiawasse County, Michigan. In the Vernon Township, Shiawasse County,
Michigan 1870 Census Simon Grote lived with his wife and five children,
all born in New York Simon Grote was working as a laborer in the 1870
(5) 1875 Shiawassee County Atlas Simon Groat owned
property in Shiawasse Co., MI. He is shown as owning a lot on the edge of
town on the road leaving Vernon.
(6) 1880 Vernon Township, Shiawasse County, Michigan, US
Census In 1880, Simon's household had 3 people born in NY, 3 born in
Michigan, and 1 born in Massachusetts. (Henry W. Grote) Vernon Twp.,
Shiawasse Co., Michigan. The census reports gives his approximate
birthdate as being about 1862 in New York. (Frank Grote) born abt 1875 in
Michigan. (Rosa Grote) born abt 1878 in Massachusetts
(7) 1900 Michigan Census Soundex (Simon Grote / Groot /
Groat birth data) birthdate: February 1834, in New York
(8) 1900 - Twelfth Census of the United States At the time
of the 1900 Adams Township, Arenac County, Michigan Census Simon was
living with his daughter and son-in-law, Nellie & William Lawrence. He is
listed as married but his wife is not listed with him. In 1910 he is no
longer in their household.
(9) 1910 Michigan Census Soundex Otsego, Allegan County,
MI, (Cora E. O'Conner nee Grote): At the time of the census she was living
as the wife of William M. Wilson (age 28); she was 50 years old.
(10) Birth Certificate for Henry W. O'Conner (date of birth
11/20/1885) (Cora E. O'Conner nee Grote): Her name is given as "Cora
(11) Birth Certificate for Henry W. O'Conner (date of birth
11/2/1886) (Cora E. O'Conner nee Grote): Her name is given as "Cora
(12) Ottawa County Marriage Records - Vol. 8 (Cora E.
O'Conner nee Grote): On page 80, Clarence O'Conner gave his mother's
maiden name as DEGROOT (1905); page 179, Henry O'Connor gave the same
(13) City Index of Death Records for Holland, MI (Cora E.
O'Conner nee Grote):The Holland City Death Records indicate she was born
in 1857 but she was probably born in 1859-60, because she was an infant at
the time of the 1860 census, 10 years old at the time of the 1870 census,
and 50 in 1910.
(14) Record of Inmates of the County Infirmary, Ottawa County,
Michigan (Cora E. O'Conner nee Grote): She was "received" into the
County Infirmary on 22 November 1937. As (1937 - 1938) inmate #63 (page
62) the information given about her was: Mrs. Cora Wilson, 80 years old,
female, a resident of Holland City, nationality English, received 22 Nov
1937 on the order of KLEYN. ... As inmate (1938 - 1939) #48 (page 72)
her information was: Cora Wilson, 77 years old, born 20 November 1852 in
New York. In the records for 1939 - 1940, her name appears on page 84:
Mrs. Cora Wilson. As inmate (1940 - 1941) #38 (page 90) the following is
given: Mrs. Cora Wilson, discharged 27 March 1941; cause of discharge was
(15) Death Record - Cora Wilson nee Grote She died in the
county poor house (Ottawa Co., Polk Township) where she had lived for
about two years. Her Certificate of Death is State File #517, under the
name Cora Wilson. The informant was her son Henry W. O'Conner, residence
33 1/2 Lincoln Ave., Holland, MI.
(16) Genealogy Files of the Howard Family, Holland, MI
(Nellie E. Grote) In the 1870 Michigan Census her birthplace was given as
New York. In the 1900 Michigan soundex her birthplace is given as Michigan
and her date of birth is April 1870.
Copyright � 2003 MIGenWeb & Terri Rene. All