Return to MIGenWeb Family Group Sheet
Copyright 2003 Patricia HAMP . All rights reserved. USGenWeb Copyright Notice
Submitted by: Patricia HAMP using Legacy Software
Father: Rufus Burnham (1784-1832) Mother: Sarah Rentham (Abt 1785-Aft 1842)
Married: 26 December 1841 - Regular Baptist Church, Westminster Twp., Middlesex Co., Ontario
1. He appeared on the census in 1842 in Middlesex Co. Ontario.
2. He immigrated in 1849 From Canada To Michigan.
3. He had a residence in 1876 in Section 9, Kenockee Twp., St. Clair Co. Michigan.
4. He had a residence in 1900 on Plank Rd., Avoca, St. Clair Co., Michigan.
5. His obituary was published in November 1905 in St. Clair Co., Michigan.
Born: 4 November 1819 - Canada Christened: Died: 16 February 1902 - Kenockee, St. Clair Co., Michigan Buried:
Father: Curtis Freeman (1796-1868) Mother: Cynthia-Sentha Arms (1801-Bet 1880)
1. She appeared on the census in 1842 in Middlesex Co. Ontario.
2. She had a residence in 1900 With Mary And Charles Smith.
Born: 1843 - St. Thomas, Elgin Co., Ontario, Canada Christened: Died: Bef 1870 probably - Civil War - Seriously wounded last recorded place was the hospital in Balitmore MD in 1864 Buried: - Unknown Due To Civil War
1. He worked as a Carpenter in 1861 in Michigan.
2. He had a residence in Last Known Hospital At Baltimore MD..
3. Casualty Sheet of Wounded. Rufus Burnham Private Company E 5 Regiment of Michigan Volunteers at the battle Gettysburg Pa July 2, 3 1863 - Casualty Sheet - Rufus Burnham Rank Private Company E Regiment 5
Mich Vol Arm, Infantry, State Michigan
Born: 20 November 1845 - Canada Christened: Died: 10 September 1880 - Kenockee, St. Clair Co., Michigan Buried:
Born: 1848 - Canada Christened: Died: 17 October 1920 - St. Clair Co., Michigan Buried: McFadden Cemetery, Brockway, St. Clair Co., Michig
Spouse: George Van Norman (1847-1918) Marr: 24 June 1863 - St. Clair County, Michigan
1. She appeared on the census in 1870 in Emmet Township, St. Clair Co., Michigan.
Born: October 1850 - Michigan Christened: Died: 1927 - Avoca, Kenockee Twp., St. Clair Co., Michigan Buried: 1927 - Spring Hill Cemetery, St. Clair Co., MichiganSpouse: Charles D. Smith (1844-1914) Marr: 19 March 1871 - Brockway, St. Clair Co., Michigan
Born: 28 December 1856 - Kenockee, St. Clair Co., Michigan Christened: Died: 14 April 1930 - Avoca, St. Clair Co., Michigan Buried:Spouse: James McKenzie (Abt 1854-Bef 1900) Marr: 31 October 1876 - St. Clair County, Michigan
1. Land Atlases
2. Military and Pension Record for service in 2nd Michigan Cavalry Co. K
3. Censuses - State of Michigan and Federal Censuses
4. Served as Justice of the Peace during 1860, 1866,and 1877
" " Town Clerk for 6 years
" " Town Treasurer 6 yrs.
" " Postmaster for many years
published by A. T. Andreas & Co. in 1883
5. BIOGRAPHY: 1883 History of St Clair, MI
6. BOOK-St. Clair Cemeteries-MI Room-Port Huron Library-St. Cl. Hist. Soc.
7. Marriage, Birth and Deaths records from St. Clair County Clerk
9. Funeral Home Records
10. Wills of siblings of Mary Julia Freeman BURNHAM
1. Various family records from Elgin Co. Ontario on family members including wills, land records, cemetery readings, and census
2. Marriage from Ontario Records
3. Census 1842 Ontario
4. Birth calculated from death from St. Clair Co. Clerk.
NOTES: 14 Feb 1858, Kenockee
James Martin, 24, Brockway
Euphemia Dauglas, 29, Clyde
Susan Freeman & Mary Burnham; Henry Burnham, JP
London District marriage records
part #2 1841-1852
Mary Freeman to Henry Burnham both of Westminister 26 Dec 1854 by Rev Abraham Sloat regular Baptist church Westminister
(He operated out of the Lambeth area) wit George Sloat and William J White
1. MILITARY: Rufus Burnham
Residence: Sanilac County, Michigan Occupation:
Enlisted as a Private on 09 August 1861 in Fort Wayne, MI at the age of 19 Enlisted in Company E, 5th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 28 August 1861
on 28th was listed as Company B 5th Regiment Michigan Infantry
Wounded on 31 May 1862 was (Fair Oaks, Va., or Battle of Fair Oaks)
Wounded on 02 July 1863 was (Gettysburg, Pa., July 2 and 3, 1863)
Hospitalized on 15 May 1864 (Spotsylvania Court House May 12-21 or Piney Branch Church May 15
Transferred on 10 June 1864 to Company B
Sources: Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers 1861-65. (MI Roster) Published in 1903
2. MILITARY: Civil War Military Service Muster Cards
3. MILITARY: 2nd set of Military Service Papers Papers contained Casualty Sheet 3
4. BIRTH: Civil War Military Files #439 Index and files
18 years old on 28 August 1861
Complexion Light - Eyes Blue - Hair Light - Where born St. Thomas, Canada West - Occupation Carpenter
Parents enumerated with father's mother in the 1842 Ontario Census in Middlesex Co. without child so suspect he was born in 1843 and must have been visiting St. Thomas Freeman relatives at the time of Rufus H.'s birth.
1. Cemetery Reading
2. Death Record
3. Census Records
1. DAR Vital Records St. Clair Co. F572.S3 D387 1900z
2. Cemetery Records
3. IGI submitted records - incorrect birth place
4. Census Records
*Note-found another Mary E. Smith-Port Huron-white age 60 born
Canada-wrong person when looking for death records!!
1. 1916 St. Clair Atlas in Kenockee Twp.- Mrs. Mary Smith owner of Burnham Land
2. Censuses both Michigan State and Federal
3. Cemetery Reading and Death Index
1. Family stories from Mrs. Elmer Reeves (Gloria) dated May 1, 1996
2. Michigan State and Federal Census
3. Funeral Home Records