This page contains biographical sketches (full or extract) of former Hillsdale County residents.
The majority come from pre-1921 published sources as cited in the sketch.
Hiram Eidenier *
Gideon L. Emerson *
Robert A. Everett, M.D. *
Henry McKendree Ewing *
William J. Ewing
From the Portrait & Biographical Album of Hillsdale Co., MI, 1888, p.246.
Hiram EIDENIER was born in Hanover Twp., Columbiana Co., OH, on New Years Day, 1850. His father, Benjamin, was also a native of Columbiana Co. while his grandfather, John EIDENIER, was born in Frederick Co., MD, and his great-grandfather, also named John, owned a farm and distillery in Frederick Co. The latter, with his family, moved from MD to PA and from there to Columbiana Co., where he was among the first settlers of Hanover Twp.
In order to get to his land, when he first arrived, he had to cut his way through the dense forest for a distance of eight miles. He purchased a tract of 1300 acres and resided there, engaged in its improvement, until he died at nearly 90 years of age. The younger John EIDENIER located on a part of his father's land and he too improved a farm and lived there until his death. His wife, the grandmother of our subject, was born Hannah CRISTMAN.
Benjamin, father of our subject, grew to manhood and was married in Columbiana Co. and has always lived there. He purchased a farm in Hanover Twp. and engaged in farming. He was married in the village of Dungannon, that county, to Miss Eliza BRIDENSTINE, dau. of Martin B., a native of MD and a pioneer settler of Center Twp., Columbiana Co. Eliza died in 1886 in Hanover Twp. The parental family of our subject included: Hiram, Margaret, Sarah and John. Three other children died young.
Hiram attended school and assisted in the farm work. On Feb. 14, 1865, when just over 15 years old, Hiram enlisted in the 188th Ohio Infantry, risking his young life in the service of his country. He was transferred to Co. I, 191st Ohio Inf. and sent to Camp Chase, OH, and then to Winchester, VA, where he did garrison duty and later was similarly employed at Harper's Ferry. He was mustered out in Aug. 1865 and returned home where he spent two more years with his parents.
Upon leaving home a second time, Hiram was variously employed in a number of locations, Iowa, Nebraska, St. Louis, MO, Ohio and Virginia. In 1872 he purchased 52 acres on section 25, Ransom Twp., Hillsdale Co. He stayed there one year, sold out, and bought another tract of 80 acres on section 36. At the end of five years he again sold out and moved to Livingston, MO. However, not liking it there, he returned after a few weeks, and puchased 52 acres on section 25, Ransom Twp. He worked to improve that property and within two years was able to sell it at a good profit and then bought 120 acres in Amboy Twp. where he now resides.
On Dec. 5, 1871, Hiram was married to Miss Sarah J. McFATE, who was born in Venango Co., PA, in May 1855, the dau. of John and Elizabeth (HOGG) MCFATE. They have been blessed by the births of five children: Lilian A., Charles M., Dora May, Clara Blanche and Hiram W., deceased.
Mrs. EIDENIER's father, John MCFATE, was born in Ireland and came to America when a young man, settling in PA where he later married. After some years working on rented farms, he was able to purchase land in Venango Co. and lived there until 1867 when he sold out and removed to Center Twp., Columbiana Co., OH, where he bought a farm and there lived until his death. The mother of Mrs. E. is believed to have been born in PA but her father was probably from the Emerald Isle. He moved from PA to Linn Co., Iowa, where he resided until his death. Mrs. Eidenier's mother died in PA in 1861. In politics, Mr. Eidenier is a Democrat. Mrs. Eidenier is a member of the United Brethren Church.
Portrait & Biographical Album of Hillsdale County Michigan 1888, Chapman Bros. p. 878.
NOTE: This following info is an extract of the biographical sketch.
Gideon L. and Marcus D. EMERSON were natives of Painesville, OH. Gideon was b. 4/28/1818 and Marcus 1/26/1825.
They were the sons of George W. Emerson, a native of Wendell, MA, whose father, Jesse Emerson, was believed to be a native of MA also and of English ancestry. Jesse moved from Wendell in 1810, with his three sons, to OH and spent his last years in Painesville.
George W. was married to Lucy LEE in MA before the move to OH. Three other families joined the Emersons in the trek to OH. The entire journey was made over land by horses and wagons.
George traded his farm of 70 acres in MA for 400 acres in Lake Co. near Painesville. Here Gideon and Marcus were born. After developing a fine farm in OH George decided to move on to Mich.
The family settled in Monroe Co., near where the town of Erie now stands. George died there in Feb. 1837.
Mrs. EMERSON, the former Lucy LEE, was the dau. of Gideon LEE of Amherst, MA, where Lucy was born. The Lees were for many generations residents of MA. Lucy survived her husband George by many years and spent her last days with her sons, Gideon and Marcus. She died 4/19/1860.
George W. and Lucy were the parents of:
* Lucy, the eldest dau., twice married, first to N. G. PALMER and then to Alexander LIVINGSTONE. She died in Kenawee, Ill.
* Jesse W., a resident of Concord, Lake Co., OH.
* George, who died in North Toledo, OH.
* Gideon L., Aaron and Marcus D., all of Mich.
* Martha, who died in Monroe Co., MI.
On 11/12/1848, Gideon L. married Emeline SEXTON. She was the dau. of Earl and Ester SEXTON who were originally from VT where Emeline was b. 12/8/1828.
In 1829 the Sexton family moved to Bethany, Genesee Co., NY and two years later emigrated to Monroe Co., Mich. Terr. In 1834, Mr. and Mrs. Sexton died within five days of one another, leaving five children. At that time Emeline went to Erie Co., PA where she lived with an aunt until she was grown. She then returned to Monroe Co. where she lived with an uncle until after her marriage to Gideon.
In 1852 Gideon and Emeline removed to Wright Twp., Hillsdale Co., where they purchased 20 acres of land on section 33, upon which were a log house, a stable and a small garden plot. From these small beginnings they created over time a good farm of 80 acres. In 1866 they sold out and purchased the farm on which they resided in 1888.
Marcus D. Emerson lived with his mother until reaching manhood. He came to Hillsdale in 1852 where he worked at farming along side his brother Gideon. Marcus never married and made his home with his brother on their farm in Wright Twp.
From the Portrait & Biographical Album of Hillsdale Co., MI, Chapman Bros., 1888, p.277.
Robert A. EVERETT, M.D., physician and surgeon, who has been located in the city of Hillsdale since the spring of 1858, is one of the most reliable members of the medical profession in Southern Michigan. Born in the city of Auburn, N.Y., on the 22d of November, 1839, he comes of an excellent old family, being the son of Dr. Augustus Everett, who practiced for a number of years in Hillsdale County, and was widely and favorably known to a large proportion of its residents. The latter was born on the banks of Lake Champlain and trained in the principles of the Quaker faith. His early years were spent in the pursuit of agriculture, and upon reaching manhood he took for his wife Miss Permelia, daughter of Elisha Holdridge, Esq., who has born near the New York line in Eastern Pennsylvania. After their marriage Augustus Everett and his wife settled in the city of Auburn, and the former entered upon a course of study in the Medical College at Geneva. He became master of the important matters connected with his chosen profession, and began practice in the town of Gorham, Ontario County, where in the course of time he found himself in possession of a large patronage, and where he continued until his removal to Michigan in 1849.
The father of our subject located first in Tecumseh, Lenawee County, of which he was a resident and a practitioner for seven years. He then removed to Toledo, Ohio, and from there, in 1857, came to Hillsdale, where his death took place in January, 1875. The mother survived until February, 1884. They were the parents of two children only: Robert A., of our sketch, and Amelia, wife of C.H. Smith, of Hillsdale. Our subject was but nine years of age when his parents came to Southern Michigan, where his studies were first conducted in the district schools of Tecumseh, and later in a select school under the tutelage of John Esterbrook, one of the noted educators of the West.
Upon completing his studies young Everett entered the drug-store of Dr. DeMott, in the city of Tecumseh, as clerk, but eighteen months later engaged as drug clerk in Toledo. In the fall of the year 1867, deciding that his tastes and inclinations would justify the step, he entered the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, from the medical department of which he was graduated in 1859. He opened his first office in the city of Hillsdale, but a few months later the outbreak of the Rebellion interferred with his plans as it did with those of thousands of others, and he resolved to sacrifice his personal interests to the call of duty. Enlisting as a private in Company E, 4th Michigan Infantry, he rendezvoused with his comrades for atime in camp at Adrian, and soon afterward was given the position of Hospital Steward. When the regiment was ordered South the Doctor was made Assistant Surgeon of the 5th Infantry, and availed himself of the advantages of the School of Instruction at Detroit until November following, when he was ordered South with his regiment, and served under every General from Scott to Grant. In due time he received further promotion, being made Surgeon of the 16th Michigan, with which rank he was mustered out at the expiration of his term of enlistment, and received his honorable discharge.
Dr. Everett was at the front during many of the important battles of the war, often in places of great danger, but never swerved from his duty, being ready if needful to make all the sacrifices demanded for the cause of freedom and union. Upon retiring from the service he returned to Hillsdale, where he resumed practice, and was cordially welcomed by his old friends and patrons. He is now in the enjoyment of a fine income and has a comfortable and substantial residence on Broad street, besides owning the drug-store in the Waldron Block, which is also doing a good business.
The wife of our subject, to whom he was married Oct. 11, 1864, was in her girlhood Miss Janet Lancaster, who was born in November, 1839, in Peekskill, N.Y., and came to Hillsdale with her parents when a little girl. Her father, James Lancaster, Esq., was one of the pioneers of Hillsdale County, and it is believed that he put up the first frame dwelling in the city of Hillsdale. He had served as a soldier in the War of 1812, and in early manhood married Miss Spock.
Dr. Everett has for many years been identified with the Masonic fraternity, being now a member of Hillsdale Lodge No. 176, in which he has been Master ten years. He is also prominently connected with the Southern Michigan Medical Society, and was the last President. In 1876, he was elected Mayor of Hillsdale, the duties of which office he discharged with excellent judgment and satisfaction to all concerned. Politically, he votes the straight Democratic ticket, and it is hardly necessary to say that he is extremely popular when it is known that he was elected Mayor when the city was strongly Republican. In addition to other positions of trust and responsibility, he is also a member of the Pension Board of Examing Surgeons.
Contributed April 2009 by Pat McArthur
From the Portrait and Biographical Album of Hillsdale Co., MI, 1888, p. 312.
Henry McKendree EWING was born in Jackson Co., OH, 5/15/1841. He was the son of Enoch and Susannah (RADABAUGH) Ewing, both natives of West VA. Enoch was born 7/31/1799 in what was then Bath Co. but is now Pocahantas Co. Susannah was born 10/16/1800 in Greenbriar Co.
Enoch was a man of much force of character though of limited education, having had but one year of schooling. He moved with his parents to Gallia Co., OH, in 1812 and lived with them until he and Susannah married in 1821. The young couple then settled in Jackson Co., OH, where their ten children were born. In the fall of 1853 they moved to Woodbridge Twp., Hillsdale Co., where they continued to reside until their deaths, Susannah in 1884 and Enoch on 12/18/1885.
They were prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church throughout their lives. Their children were: Charlotte, Isaac, Janet, John W., William J., Andrew A., James L., Elizabeth P., Henry Mc! K. and Emily, who died aged 3 years and 6 months.
Henry married Nancy A. HANK on 4/23/1862. She was born in Monroe Co., West VA, 6/10/1840. She was the daughter of Caleb and Mary A. (MATTHEWS) HANK, who were closely related to the LINCOLN family. Both parents were natives of Monroe Co. where Caleb was born 9/11/1789. Both were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Caleb was a doctor by profession and also farmed. They left West VA for Ohio in 1846. Mary Hank died there 7/18/1847. Caleb died 2/12/1869. Caleb and Mary's children were : Jane B., Alvin E., Isabelle V., Nancy A., Rebecca E., John W. and Caleb R.
Henry and Nancy Ewing had four children: Luella J. who died in infancy, Alvin E., John C. and Frank B. Their home was on section 20 of Woodbridge Twp. where Henry was active in township affairs, elected Supervisor in 1885 and served three terms and served two terms as Township Treasurer. Both he and Nancy were active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
On 3/29/1864, Henry enlisted in Co. D, 2nd Mich. Infantry and served until June 1865. In the campaign near Petersburg, on 12/ 13/1864, he was wounded and consequently lost the sight in his right eye for which he received a pension of $17 per month.
From the Portrait and Biographical Album of Hillsdale Co., MI, 1888, p.724.
William J. EWING was born 9/14/1831 in Jackson Co., OH. His parents were Enoch and Susan (RADABAUGH) EWING, both natives of West VA. Enoch was born in Greenbriar Co. and was of Scottish and Welsh descent; his wife was of German ancestry. Enoch's parents were among the pioneers of Gallia Co., OH, where Enoch grew up. Enoch and Susan settled in Jackson Co., OH, after their marriage. In 1853 they removed to Woodbridge Twp., Hillsdale Co. where they lived out the rest of their lives. Susan died 5/17/1884 and Enoch 12/9/1885. Of their ten children eight were still living in 1888. They were: Charlotte, widow of Josiah JENKINS; Jenette, wife of Benjamin WHITE; John; Andrew; Leander and Henry M., all residing in Woodbridge Twp. There were also William J. (our subject) of Amboy Twp. and Elizabeth, wife of D. C. CHERINGTON of Van Buren Co., MI. Son Isaac died when about 40 years old and Emily died aged four y! ears.
William J. came to Hillsdale Co. with his parents in 1853. He stayed to help them get established then, a year later, returned to Ohio where he married Belle HANK on 10/12/1854. She was the daughter of Caleb and Mary A. (MATHEWS) HANK who were also natives of VA. The Hanks were said to be of Scottish descent and the Mathews of Irish ancestry. Caleb HANK was a distant relative of Abraham LINCOLN. Caleb and Mary were the parents of: Alvin, Kalkaska Co., MI; John of West VA; Caleb, Jackson Co., OH; Nancy, wife of Henry EWING of Woodbridge Twp.; Rebecca, wife of George RICE, Jackson, OH and Belle. A daughter, Jane, died aged 20 years.
William J. and Belle Ewing lived on section 31 of Amboy Twp. No children are shown for this couple.
Submitted by former MIGenWeb Hillsdale County Coordinator, Tracey Morris
This information is made available to the public for non-commercial purposes.
This page was last updated Wednesday, 05-Dec-2012 11:57:06 MST
Hillsdale County MIGenWeb