Hillsdale Co MI Land Patents
Twp 5 S, Range 1 W - Section 3
This page details the holders of government land patents for Section 3, Township 5 South, Range 1 West (northeastern corner of Somerset Twp).
List of patent holders for entire Township 5 South, Range West
The United States issued these titles from 1820 to 1908 through out the MidWest. They represent the first title holder to land formerly owned by the US government.
Each section contains 640 acres, which was usually subdivided into quarter-sections (160 acres - half-mile square), eighth sections (80 acres - half-mile long, quarter-mile wide or vice versa) and sixteenth sections (40 acres - quarter mile square)
By using this system of land description the exact location of each title can be ascertained and each section can be mapped.
Each land holding details the owner of the land, the date the land was purchased and the plat location within the section.
NOTE: Some of the portions were not assigned in the list, and some of the total acreage figures did not match up with the portion granted - confirm patents with the Bureau of Land Management
This information is made available to the public for non-commercial purposes.
Copyright 1999 Tracey Morris
This page was last updated Saturday, 20-Jun-2009 13:46:14 MDT
Hillsdale County MIGenWeb