[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Michigan Veterans' Facility
formerly known as the
Michigan Old Soldiers' Home
Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan


1886 Soldiers Home Album

        Burial Information            Researching

Veterans Resources Website

From postcards "Made in the U.S.A." by
E.C. Kropp Co., Milwaukee, Wis.

Scanned and placed online
by Jennifer Godwin for the
Kent County Michigan GenWeb Project.

This photo of the Michigan Soldiers Home was taken in 1915.
Photo from a postcard sent by Helen Selee, scanned and put online by Evelyn Sawyer (2004)

Postcard of Michigan State Soldiers Home - Evelyn Sawyer

Main Drive - R.V. Gay Memorial Bldg. - Library -
R.V. Gay Memorial Bldg. - J. Gordon Rankin Bldg.
 Hospital Bldg. - The Fountain - Winter Scene

Who can be buried in the Michigan Soldiers Home Cemetery?

Burials are restricted to veterans and their widows who were residents of the nursing home.  Veterans must have served at least 90 days and be honorably discharged and either entered the service from Michigan or be a resident of Michigan to be admitted to the nursing home.  If the widow was never a resident of the nursing home she can only be buried there if she is cremated and interred in her husband's grave.


Researching your ancestor
in the Michigan Old Soldiers' Home

If you believe that your ancestor may have stayed at the Old Soldiers Home, you can write for his records from the State Archives. Early records generally consist of a four-page application which might contain the name of next of kin, date of birth, regiment and/or pension number. The archives will not share most medical records, for privacy reasons. To request a search, send a letter to the archives including the name of your veteran, the war in which he served and any additional helpful information.

The State Archives of Michigan charges to do research.  here is the link for their fee:
The fees must be prepaid and the staff will determine if they have the time to look up the information you are requesting.  It doesn't mention if there is a refund if they don't have the time.

The address is:

Records Correspondence:

Reference Unit: (Corrected Address 1/29/2006)
Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries
Michigan Historical Center
State Archives of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo Street
P. O. Box 30740
Lansing, MI  48909-8240
Phone: (517) 373-1408
email: archives@michigan.gov

Address of the Home:

Grand Rapids Veterans Home
3000 Monroe Ave. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
(616) 364-5389

URL: http://www.migenweb.org/kent/veterans/index.html  
Created: 24 October 1999[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Contact County Coordinator:  janacortez@charter.net