EDWIN CANNON, manufacturer at Big Rapids, is a native of England, and a son of Charles and Nancy (Matthews) Cannon. He was born in Buckinghamshire, Nov. 17, 1837. His father came to the United States in 1847, accompanied by his two sons, George and Edwin, the latter a lad of ten years. They went to Lenawee Co., Mich., where, two years later, Mr. Cannon (Sr.) bought 80 acres of land in a wild state. The wife and mother joined her family in Blissfield Tp., about this time, bringing with her the remaining children, Jane and James. They experienced all the inconveniences of first settlers, but, appreciative of their privileges under a popular government, went heartily to work to secure all the benefits accruing to them from independent citizenship. Their log cabin was humble and deficient in modern appliances, but it was their own, and the privations of that period are less in their memories than its charms and freedom. Mrs. Nancy Cannon deid in 1879. At 19, Mr. Cannon went to Blissfield, Lenawee Co., to learn wagon-making, where he worked two years, and then engaged in agriculture four years. In 1862, in company with Mark Cannon, a cousin, he bought a steam saw-mill, which they managed together about five years. The enterprise was prosperous and Mr. Cannon sold his moiety to his partner and proceeded to establish a new mill in the vicinity. Six months after its completion, he formed a partnership with James Tibbals and removed the mill and fixtures to Hastings, Barry Co., Mich. This was about the year 1869, and the mill was utilized in sawing ties for the Grand River Valley R.R., then in process of construction. Afterward the mill did custon work at Hastings until 1871, when a second transfer was made to Byers, of this county, and the power evoted to the same line of business. In the winter of 1873 the firm took a contract to saw lumber for Charles Barstow, at Hungerford, and the mill was again removed. Mr. Cannon bought the interest of Mr. Tibbals in the summer of 1876, and Aug. 1, 1881, the mill was destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of $6,000. He came to Big Rapids soon after, and in partnership with Geo. M. Gotshall became proprietor by purchase of the manufacturing establishment of F. Fairman, and has since been engaged in constructing edgers, tram-cars, engines, and mill machinery. The annual transactions reach an aggregate value of $90,000.
Mr. Cannon owns a half interest in 600 acres of land in HUngerford besides his residence, and eight city lots on S. State street at the west end of Oak Street. He was married at Mattawan, Van Buren Co., Mich., April 20, 1872, to Leavana, daughter of Levi Butler, a farmer and carpenter of Mattawan, who was born Nov. 21, 1845. Mr. Cannon is a member of the Order of Masonry.