CHARLES W. CLIFTON, farmer, sec. 31, Green Tp., was bor at Cleveland, Ohio, Feb. 10, 1838. His father, William Clifton, was an Englishman by nativity, and came to this country when about 22 years old; located at Cleveland and married Abigail Locke; resided on a farm near the city during eight years, and in October, 1845, came to Kent Co., Mich., and settled on a farm. He was crushed to death April 10, 1848, by a falling building. The mother died at Clinton, Lawrence Co., Dec. 28, 1882.
Mr. Clifton obtained his education at the public and high schools of Grand Rapids. He was trained to the pursuit of agriculture, but in 1861, when the country was plunged into the abyss of war by the insane South, he became a soldier. He enlisted in the First Michigan Regiment of the Engineers and Mechanics, and served three years. He paricipated in several engagements, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn. On his return North he came to Mecosta Co. and spent 10 months in the employ of T. Lazell, of Big Rapids. He then became a resident at Grand Rapids, where he was married, Oct. 2, 1866, to Julia E. Sunderland, daughter of Myron and Louisa (Searles) Sunderland, a native of Kent Co. Mr. Clifton was a farmer near Grand Rapids two years, and then bought 160 acres of land in Green Tp., where he has since resided. The family includes six children: Frank S., Effie L., George M., Grace, Lois and Charles E.