JAMES M. ADAIR, farmer, sec. 22, Fork Tp., was born in Niagara, Canada, Aug.
4, 1803, and si the son of John and Phebe (Mills) Adair, both of whom were
born on the borders of the Susquehanna River. The father was a soldier of
the war of 1812, and held the rank of quartermaster.
Mr. Adair remained with his parents until the death of his father, in 1813.
His mother married Hartman Freeland, and after a short time he went to learn
the trade of blacksmith, which he followed five years, and afterwars, was
employed on a farm and at the carpenter and builder's trade.
Mr. Adair was first married to Magdalene London, a native of Niagara Co.,
Canada, and became the father of five children, two of whom are living:
Daniel L. and John H. The deceased were Mary, Annie and Phebe C. In 1830
Mr. Adair moved to Lucas Co., Ohio, and resided there until 1868, when he
came to Michigan and, Feb. 5, located 80 acres of land under the provisions
of the homestead act, and has since continued a resident. He was married a
second time in 1861, to Mrs. Caroline (Dewese) Switzer. Mrs. Adair has one
child, Martin A., by her first marriage.
Politically Mr. Adair is a Democrat. He has been School Treasurer a number
of years and served Fork Tp., 15 years as Justice of the Peace.