In 1850, Mr. Davis came to America, and passed a season on the lakes. In 1851 he came to Michigan and purchased 160 acres of land in what is now Mecosta Tp., locating on sec. 27, where he has since resided. He was one of the two white men who first came to this county and settled permanently. He built the first barn -- a frame building -- in the county in 1856, and afterward erected a residence, at the time the largest in the county. He has bought considerable land since he made his original purchase, his estate now aggregating 385 acres, 225 of which are in cultivation. The reminiscences of Mr. Davis contain a complete history of the growth of Mecosta County. About the time of his settlement, JOhn Parish located a mile below the point where the "Lower Bridge" at Big Rapids spans the river, and until the following year they had no other "neighbors>" Mr. Parish left his first location, and to Mr. Davis belongs the credit not only of being the first settler in this county, but also of still holding his original tenure of land.
He was married at Rockford, Kent Co., Mich., Nov. 8, 1867, to Sarah Jane, daughter of John and Rosanna (Blancha) Probasco, born April 2, 1842, in Huron Co., O. The parents were natives of New Jersey, and are both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Davis have three children: Ada M. J., born Oct. 2, 1868; John William, March 6, 1870; and Frank E.B., June 20, 1872. In politics Mr. Davis is a Democrat.
Return to Portraits
Return to Home Page