After Mr. Ives completed his mill there was enough people here to demand a postoffice, and one was extablished in November, 1857, with Jesse C. Shaw, as the first postmaster. He received his appointment from President Buchanan. The mail was received and dispatched once a week, by way of Greenville. It was carried on horseback. Mr. Shaw was postmaster only for a short time, resigning in favor of Charles Shafer, father of Mrs. E.G. Hopkins.