Supervisor - Philip Hanford
Clerk - Susan Slikkema
Treasurer - Mary A. Quinlan
Trustee - John A. Boyd
Trustee - John R. Johnson
Mecosta Township Hall Location
19729 - 11 Mile Road
Big Rapids, MI. 49307
Telephone - 1-231-796-8935
Fax - 1-231-796-9185
Office Hours - 8:30 a.m. - 4:00p.m.
MECOSTA TOWNSHIP HISTORY
This is from the Mecosta County Portrait and Biographical Album by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1883.
Mecosta Township is numbered 14 north, range 10 west, Congressional survey, and is situated in the western tier of townships of Mecosta County. It is bounded on the north by Big Rapids Township0, on the east Austin Township, on the south by Aetna Township, and on the west by Newaygo County. It contains some of the best agricultural land in the county, and also much fine timber, of which, however, the greater part has been cleared away. It contains the villages of Stanwood and Rustford, on sections 25 and 13.
The Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad runs through sections 12, 13, 24, and 25; and the Grand Rapids and Big Rapids State road runs through the central portion of the township.
Mecosta is excellently watered, and its land is lower geographically than any other land in Mecosta County. The Muskegon River enters the township in the northeast corner, and leaves it in the southwest corner, though it flows in by no means a straight line. It meanders in such a fashion that the total length of river is more than twice the length of a line drawn diagonally through the township. Besides the river, there are no less than a dozen streams flowing into it within the township, of which the most important are Cold Spring, Mac's and Davis Creeks.
The township of Mecosta was organized in March, 1861, and R. A. Moon was its first Supervisor. The first white settler was John Davis, who located on section 27, in 1851, and was also the first settler of the county. He resides still on his first location. The first birth was that of James Hyde, son of Hannibal and Mary Hyde. The first death was that of William Davis, who departed his life in February 1852. The first marriage was that of James Sutherland and Hannah C. Jaquett, solemnized by H. Gilmore, clergyman, Oct. 21, 1859. The first frame building was a barn, built by John Davis, in 1856. The first mill was a saw-mill, built by Francisco and Marcy, in 1870. The first school-house was a frame building erected in 1859, on section three; and the first school was taught by Mary Gilmore. The first store was opened by James H. Rogers, in 1865. The first postoffice, Mecosta, was established in 1865.
In 1864, Mecosta Township had a population of 222; in 1870, 263; in 1874, 392; and in 1880, 613. In 1878, it had 1,654 acres of improved land; in 1880, 1,600 were reported. Its equalized valuation at time of organization was $67,627.14; and its present valuation is $195,035. Its total vote in November, 1882, was 99.