These pages contain biographical sketches (full or extract) of former Montcalm County residents.
Go to Page
A * B * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q *
R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z
Able and Emily (Lake) Rarick
Home Township, Montcalm County, Michigan
Contributed by Rev. Robert C. Snyder
Able Rarick was born February 28, 1841, in Steuben Co., New York, the second child of William D. and Charlotte (Rauch) Rarick. His father, whose parentage is unknown, was born in about 1818, probably in Steuben Co., a descendant of the Rarick family that settled in Steuben about 1800, having come from Dutchess County, New York. William D. died May 23, 1869, in New York, whereupon Charlotte moved to Berrien County, Michigan with her youngest daughter, Emma.
The children were:
Able’s mother, Charlotte Rauch, was born in about 1818 in Chemung County, New York. She and William were married in New York in about 1837. She died, place unknown, December 26, 1892.
Able married, November 5, 1862, at the Old National Hotel in Bath, Steuben County, New York, to Emaline/Emily Lake who was born May 12, 1843 in Potter Co. Pennsylvania, (Ref: Emily’s Obituary) the daughter of Isaac Joel and Sally (Jacoby) Lake. After the death of Sally (Jacoby) Lake, 2 Sep 1848, the children of this family were given into the care of other families. IRef: US Census, 1850, 1860) Emily died October 16, 1906. Able died January 6, 1916. They are both buried in the Edmore Cemetery.
Able and Emily were the parents of ten children, all but the youngest being born at Mays Mills in the Town of Milo, Yates County, New York.
1. Willis, born October 3 1863, died in infancy.
2. George, born April 2, 1865, married in Hillsdale Co. Michigan, to Delia Taylor.
3. Mary Jane, born June 30, 1867, married 1st, Charles Potts, and secondly, Jay Francis Dalrymple. She died in 1938 in Vestaburg, Montcalm Co., MI.
4. Sarah Ann, born September 24, 1869, married 1st, James Clifford, and 2nd, James Welton.
5. Clara Belle, born May 6, 1871, married William V. Crockett.
6. Adda May, born Dec 24, 1873, married 1st, Grant Burt, also a native of Yates County, New York. She married 2nd David Zolman.
7. Charles Wesley, born February 6, 1876, married Hulda Mae Crockett, sister of William V., and daughter of Levi Vinton and Mary (Batchellor) Crockett.
8. Adelbert, born January 3, 1879, died in infancy.
9. Alice Ellina (Lena), born March 7, 1882, married 1st. James Fenton Rundio, and 2nd, George Armstrong.
10. Esther, b. August 13, 1892, married Max Waller. At this writing their daughter, Leota, lives in Greenville, Montcalm County.
In about 1890, Able and Emily removed from the settlement of Mays Mills in the Town of Milo, Yates Co., New York to Pittsford, Hillsdale County, Michigan, near Able’s younger brother, John A. Rarick. The family moved again in about 1895, settling in Home Township, Montcalm County, Michigan. Many of their descendants still live in the region.
This family biography has been prepared in April 2011, by the Rev. Robert C. Snyder, great-great grandson of Able and Emily and great-grandson of Adda May (Rarick) Burt.
Willard C. Rasmussen
History of Montcalm County, Michigan
by John W. Dasef - 1916
Contributed by Gerry Christiansen