Apollos W. Lambson, farmer, section 12, Ashland Township, whose portrait we give upon a preceding page, was born in Shelby, Niagara Co., N.Y., Nov. 19, 1823, and is a son of B. and Polly (Walworth) Lambson. The parents were born in the State of New York and came to Michigan in 1826. They located in Washtenaw County for a time, going thence to Kinderbrook Township, Branch County, in 1835, where the father died in 1838.
The burden of the family support after the decease of his father fell upon young Lambson, then but 15 years of age, and he fulfilled the duty manfully until he was 22 years old. He was married March 29, 1846, to Lucinda, daughter of Luman and Lydia (Beach) Gibbs. She was born in Seneca Co., N.Y., Oct. 13, 1830. Her parents came to Jackson Co., Mich., in 1840, and later went to Kinderhook, Branch County. Mrs. and Mrs. Lambson lived in that county four years after marriage and in 1850 came to what is now Newaygo village. Hardly a stick of timber had been cut, and Mr. Lambson was among the first to follow John A. Brooks, and aided that gentleman in his project to build up a town by purchasing the first village lots that were offered for sale. He also helped to lay out the first village lots and assisted in building the first milldam at Newaygo. He remained at Newaygo until 1854 when he settled on section 13 of Ashland Township, where he resided four years. At the end of that time he purchased 80 acres of land on section 12. A subsequent purchase swelled his estate to 160 acres, of which he has placed 130 acres under fine improvements and advanced cultivation.
Mr. Lambson became a soldier in the war for the union, enlisting Jan. 11, 1865, in the 15th Mich. Inf., Co. E., under Capt. J.W. Brown. Illness prevented his entering upon active duty, but he remained at the front until the close of the war, receiving honorable discharge Aug. 15, 1865.
In political faith and action, Mr. Lambson coincides with the National party. He has ever been an active man in local interests and has held the more important offices. Himself and wife belong to the First-Advent Church, of which he was Deacon for several years. Of thirteen children born to them, seven are deceased. They were Emma A., Charles E., Ellen C., Arthur L., Edna E., Luman B. and Herbert A. The surviving are, Theresa P., Melissa J., Marion L., Wilma D., Luella M. and Alice L.
The ties of kindred and friends connecting Mr. and Mrs. Lambson with the history of Newaygo County render it peculiarly fitting that their portraits should appear in its published records, and they may be found in close proximity to the modest, unpretentious sketch of their course of life. They are on the sunset side of their earthly career, as time tells human histories; but lives of worthy effort, of suffering and loss borne with Christian fortitude and crowned with reasonably worldly success, give palpable evidence of the immortal element even in earthly matters.