JOHN BARNHARD, farmer, section 3, Dayton Township, is a son of Jacob and Sarah (Hyland) Barnhard, and was born in Sandusy Co., Ohio, Nov. 18, 1836. When he was ten years old he came to this county with his parents. He lived under the parental roof until he was 20 years of age, and was then employed by the month on a farm for one year. In the fall of 1858 he purchased 80 acres of wild land, on which he built a log house, and has since added 60 acres to his original purchase; 100 acres are under good cultivation. In 1875 he erected a fine frame house where he now resides.
He was married in Dayton Township, Nov. 24, 1860, to Maryette, daughter of Aaron and Amanda Stone, natives of Connecticut, and they have two children: Gilbert L. and Herbert A. Mr. B. has held the office of Township Clerk, Highway Commissioner, School Inpector and Constable. He was elected Justice of the Peace but declined to qualify; he was also Township Treasurer four years.
March 12, 1862, he enlisted in the 3d Mich. Inf.; served nearly three years and was honorbaly discharged, on account of a severe wound in the arm, at Spottsylvania Court-House. He was in the battle of the wilderness and also that of Mine Run; much of the time he was on detached service. He now receives a pension. Himself and wife are members of Hesperian Lodge, No. 495, P. of H., and in politics he is a Republican.