Charles N. Alvord, carpenter, builder and farmer, section 27, Ashland Township, was born March 5, 1831 in Allegany Co., N. Y. His parents, Elias and Cynthia (Price) Alvord, were born in Cortland Co., N. Y., where they were married and resided some years, removing thence to Allegany County. The father of Mr. Alvord was a builder by profession and the son gradually acquired the details of the same calling, at which he worked under his father's instructions until he was 23 years old. Soon after he had reached that age he went to McKean Co., Pa., where he was married, Dec. 25, 1853, to Mary E., daughter of Elister and Margaret (Culp) Hargrave. The father was born in England, the mother in New England. Their respective families settled in McKean Co., Pa., where they were married, and the daughter was born, Feb. 14, 1832. She received a substantial education and when 17 years old began teaching in the common schools of her native county, continuing five years in that employ, when she was married. Mrs. Alvord is a lady of fine intellectual attainments and worthy traits of womanly character.
The year following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Alvord located in Kalamazoo Co., Mich., and after working a year at his trade Mr. A. worked as a farmer in the townships of Prairie Ronde and Texas in that county, until the spring of 1863, when they came to Newaygo village, where Mr. Alvord established a meat-market and grocery, which he continued to conduct until 1867. He built a sash and door factory, where he carried on an extensive and prosperous business, selling out a year later. In September, 1869, he settled on an improved farm, in Ashland Township, containing 80 acres, most of which is now in a state of advanced cultivation. He has recently erected handsome and substantial farm buildings, at an expenditure of $2,000, and his new residence, just completed, cost about $3,000. He has further improved his farm by sedating out an orchard of 200 choice varieties of fruit-trees, and, altogether, has arranged his place and farming interests with good judgment and sound sense. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Alvord,- Chester L., April 4, 1856; James Walter, Jan. 31, 1858; Nancy E., March 24, 1860; Everett N., June 23, 1862.
Mr. Alvord is a decided adherent to the tenets of the National party, and has held various township and school offices. The family attend the M. E. Church.