HENRY D. CLARK, son of John and Dorcas (Sweet) Clark, was born in Lodi, Seneca Co., N.Y., April 18, 1822. Huis parents were natives of New York, and moved from Seneca to Wayne County, where they lived six years, and where the father died; the mother then moved to Ohio, where she is still a resident. Henry D. left home when 12 years of age and went to live with John De Mott, who was a Brigadier General in the war of 1812. He remained with him four years, going to school and doing chores, then went to the town of Lyons, Wayne County, and worked for his uncle on a farm during the summer season and attended school during the winter. He remained with his uncle four years, then went to Seneca Co., Ohio, with a cousin, for whom he worked two and a half years, clearing land, then went to Wyandot Co., OHio, where he married Elmira Dunn, a native of Ohio. They lived here nearly three years, when Mrs. Clark died, leaving two children, Orral and Olive; the latter died when six months old. Two years subsequently, Mr. Clark married Barbara, daughter of Nicholas and Barbara Ish, all natives of Germany.
After his second marriage, Mr. Clark moved to Hillsdale Co., Mich., and purchased 80 acres of land, which he partly cleared and occupied five years, then sold out and went to Oceana County in September, 1855, his wife followig him the next December. In the meantime he had built a good log house and had it in readiness when his wife came. The nearest railroad station was at Kalamazoo, and Mr. Clark was obliged to get his provisions at Newaygo and White Lake. He built the first house in Greenwood Township. In the fall of 1857 he returned to Ohio with his family, and rented a farm for which he paid $200 a year. His object in making this change was to obtain better school privileges. In fact, there was hardly a school-house in this section of the county at that time. Mr. Clark remained in Ohio eight years, and in the fall of 1865 again came to Oceana Co., Mich., and occupied the old log house he had built ten years previous. He lived in this house two years, then built a good frame house, which he now occupies. Two years afterward he built a fine barn, being at that time the largest barn in the State.
Although Mr. and Mrs. Clark have no children of their own, they have reared five that were without homes. Their names are: Alice Ish, Milford Hitchne, Mary Nelson, Minnie B. McCormick and Wilard Greene. Minnie is their adopted daughter.
Mr. Clark is a Democrat. He never aspired to county or town offices, but takes a deep interest in educational matters and in all the reforms of the day. When he first came to this county the nearest voting place was 32 miles distant. He cut ten acres of wood where the town of Fremont now stands. He now owns 350 acres all in one body, and has 200 acres improved. He keeps over 30 head of Shorthorn cattle, nine horses and a herd of sheep, and from 30 to 40 head of swine.