D. W. Wilcox was born in Branch Co., Mich., Dec. 3, 1844; his parents, Caleb and Maria Wilcox, were natives of New York, who came to Michigan about 1835, first settling in Jackson County, then in Branch County, then Kent, and finally in Newaygo County, where they died. Mr. W., the subject of
this sketch, has lived at home most of his life, and in company with his sisters, Caroline and Irene, owns 40 acres of land, all in good cultivation. He has held the offices of Overseer of Highway and Constable. In political affairs he is a National.
Aug. 20, 1861, he enlisted in the 8th Mich. Inf., and after serving three years was honorably discharged, at Petersburg, Va. He was in the battles of Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Antietam, Sharpsburg and a score of other battles. He was slightly wounded in the hand by a minie ball in a skirmish near Savannah, Ga.