||Edward Nelson Jones
Edward Nelson Jones was born in Medina County, Ohio, Jan. 11, 1837. His parents were Hamilton and Saloma (Jenne) Jones, the former native of New York, and the latter of Vermont. Soon after their marriage they settled in Medina County, Ohio, where they lived until his father's death. His mother then returned to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where she passed the remaining years of her life. Edward N. was but four years old when his father died. He was taken to New York by his mother, and lived with his grandfather in St. Lawrence County until he was 17 years of age.
In the spring of 1855 he came to Michigan, spent a few months in Allegan County, and in November following came to Dayton Township and located 40 acres of good land, paying $1.25 per acre. He then returned to St. Lawrence County N. Y., where he was married March 27, 1856, to Elizabeth W., second daughter of Dexter and Mary (Wood) Glazier, natives of Massachusetts; she was born in Worcester County, Mass., Feb. 4, 1837. When five years old she went to St. Lawrence, N. Y., with her parent, and remained with them until her marriage. After this event Mr. and Mrs. Jones returned to their new home in Dayton Township. In the spring of 1856 Mr. Jones pre-empted 80 acres of land adjoining his original purchase. In September, 1866, he purchased 60 acres more, and owned one of the finest farms in Michigan; 180 acres all in one body, with 140 acres in good cultivation, and fine buildings.
Mr. And Mrs. Jones were the parents of eight children, viz: Ida M., born Aug. 25, 1857; Dexter M., Oct 21, 1859; George W., Aug 12, 1861; Judson E., Nov 13, 1863; Clark A., Aug. 25, 1866; Effie M., Oct. 2, 1868; Elda A., April 15, 1870; Mary S., April 3, 1878.
In June 1882, Mr. Jones purchased 420 acres of, timbered land on section 32, Troy Township, with a grist and sawmill on the same. In June 1883, he sold the mill, and at the same time purchased 100 acres more of partly improved land in the same township. He owned over 500 acres of land in this county, a portion of which was well improved.
When Mr. Jones commenced life he had nothing but willing hands and a good constitution; but by hard labor and persevering industry he enjoyed a fine home, surrounded by intelligent family, and all that tends to make life enjoyable. He had given his son Dexter 80 acres of fine land in Denver Township, where he resided, 40 acres of which were well improved. He introduced the first blooded stock of Durham cattle into the county, in 1873, which he purchased in Oakland County, Mich., and he took the four first premiums for blooded stock in the fair, in which Newaygo, Oceana and Muskegon Counties compete. This was known as the "Hesperian Agricultural Society." Mr. Jones built the first frame barn in Dayton Township in 1858. He bought and operated the first eight-horse power separator, and also put up the first windmill in the township. When he first came into this county he was obliged to chop trees in order to make a road, all being a dense forest. He lived to these forests converted to beautiful farms, the log cabins give away to modern structures, and school-houses built with all modern improvements: truly he was a pioneer.
Mr. Jones held office of Constable one year in Dayton Township. He was identified with the Republican Party, but later affiliates with the National party.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers