Fred A. Ganson, merchant, at Lumberton, was born at Jackson, Mich., April 25, 1856, and is the son of James H. and Polly (Roberts) Ganson, natives of the State of New York. His father was a pioneer of Jackson, and resided there until 1856, when the family removed to Allegan County, where they now reside. On eof the longest streets in Jackson has the family name.
Mr. Ganson acquired his education at the common schools and seminary at Allegan, and spent the years of his minority under the guidance of his father, attending school until he had reached 21 years of age. He went to Oakland, Clinton Co., Ohio, to acquire the art of telegraphy, and made that his pursuit for three years. He first had charge of the office at Hamilton, on the C. & W. M. R. R. (then the Grand Haven road); from there he went to Fillmore, on the same route, and thence to Holland. He stayed at the latter place nine months and was then attached to the extra force of the same company. In September, 1881, he came to Lumberton and officiated as operator until December, 1882, when he embarked in his present business enterprise, in company with Archibald Campbell.
He is engaged in keeping a general store and is doing a prosperous business.
Mr. Ganson was married in 18__, to Ida E., daughter of Joseph and Charlotte Cook, born in 1857, in Allegan County. He has held the office of Township Clerk of Norwich, and is now Deputy Postmaster.