Frank W. Barbour, farmer, section 25, Norwich Township, was born at Pontiac, Oakland Co., Mich., Nov. 20, 1840. He is a son of Theron W. and Abigail (Gates) Barbour, the former a native of Rutland, Vt., and the latter born in Shoreham, Addison Co., Vt. The father came to Michigan in May, 1869, and located at Pontiac, where the family resided for 20 years, then removing to Farmington in the same county. In 1869 they removed to Big Rapids, where
the mother died, April 21, 1881.
Mr. Barbour obtained his education at the common schools and academy at Novi Plains, attending the latter three years. After leaving school he was variously engaged for a time until he went to study dentistry under the supervision of Dr. J. A. Jackson,
with whom he remained one year, going thence to Mount Clemens, Macomb Co., Mich., where he resided four years. He was then engaged as foreman and general manager of the Detroit & Lansing Plank Road, and after a service of eight years event to operate in the same capacity on the Detroit & Saline Plank Road. There he remained 11 years, after which he came to Newaygo County and bought 80 acres of land, all in heavy timber, which he began without delay to improve, and has now a fair proportion of his place in good cultivation.
Mr. Barbour was married Aug. 29, 1863, to Hattie D., daughter of George and Hannah All. (Sowles)
Matthews. Her father was born in Connecticut, April 17, 1799, and died April 20, 1871; her mother
was born Jan. 8, 1811, and died June 17, 1881. Mrs. Barbour was born in Mason, Ingham County,
Dec. 11, 1846. Subjoined is the record of the seven children born to the household: Arthur, born Dec. 24, 1865, Maud, March 30, 1866; Frank R., Oct. 12, 1869; Nellie J., Dec. 28, 1871; Albert W., June 7, 1875; Robert F., Feb. 17, 1879; Stephen S. W., Dec. 15, 1881.
Mr. Barbour is brother-in-law of S. S. Wilcox, hardware merchant at Big Rapids.