JAMES MONROE GIBBS, farmer, lumberman and general manager in the lumber interests of G. W. Crawford, resides at White Cloud and manages his agricultural affairs on section 13, Wilcox Township. He was born in Troy, Oakland Co., Mich., Oct. 10, 1825. His parents, Calvin and Deborah (Shaw) Gibbs, were natives of Connecticut and settled near Pontiac, Oakland County, in 1821, where they engaged in farming, and resided until Oct. 5, 1822, when the father died. The mother afterward married Calvin Marvin, of Troy, and resided in that Township until 1835, when they settled in Clinton County. She died there Feb. 9, 1873.
Mr. Gibbs was under the care of his step-father until he was 13 years of age, when he began work as a carpenter. Two years later he commenced operations as a cooper and followed that vocation four years. He came to Neaygo County in 1850, and pre-empted 120 acres of land in Big Prairie Township. He cleared and otherwise improved 80 acres, and resided thereon until 1872, when he moved to White Cloud. He built the first residence erected in that village, and operated as foreman in the lumber mill of S.N. Wilcox. He continued in the position four years, when he engaged in locating land until the spring of 1879, since which time he has been operating in the interests of Mr. Crawford.
Mr. Gibbs was married Oct. 10, 1848, to Fannie J., daughter of William and Mahala (Willy) Utley. She was born April 30, 1830, in Plymouth, Mich. Her parents were natives of Vermont. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Gibbs are six in number: Fred, Flora, William U., Minnie M., Ettie M. and Otie. Addie D. is deceased.