JOHN A. GRANT, farmer, section 18, Garfield Township, was born in Glengarry, Co., Can., Dec. 13, 1843. He is the son of Alexander and Ann (McKillop) Grant. His father was born in Scotland and died when the son was in early youth. The mother was also a native of that country and is now residing in Cornwall, Ontario.
Mr. Grant came to Michigan when he was 19 years old and found employment at Muskegon, where he engaged in lumbering on the North Branch of the White Cloud River for Pingra & Sanford. The next spring he engaged as a farm laborer with David Squier, for whom he worked one season, afterwards engaging in lumbering. In 1869, he purchased his farm of 80 acres, nearly all of which was at that time in primeval forest, and by his industrious application he has placed 50 acres under good improvement. He also owns 40 acres of land on section 7, adjoining his farm, which was bought in June, 1883.
Mr. Grant was married in Muskegon, May 24, 1871, to Maggie, daughter of William and Honora (Togan) Donahue, a native of Ireland. Three children have been born of this marriage, as follows: William A., Dec. 9, 1872; Della M., May 5, 1877, and John R., Dec. 31, 1878.