||George R. Breckon
George R. Breckon, M. D., Fremont, was the second son of Ralph and Almira (Calvert) Breckon, and was born in Halton Co., Ont., Sept. 12, 1847. His father was a native of England, and his mother of Canada, and after their marriage located in Canada. George R. attended the common schools of Canada until 16 years of age, when he came to St. Joseph, Mich., where he remained for a short time, and afterward went to Ohio, where he spent several months. He traveled in Pennsylvania a short time, then returned to Canada, and in the spring of 1867 began the study of medicine with Dr. William Perkins, of Rockwood, Ont. He remained with Dr. Perkins two years, attending the Toronto School of Medicine during the winter season. When Dr. Breckon left home to embark in life on his own responsibility, he did so under very adverse circumstances. The total sum of money he possessed was only $13. Consequently, great energy and rate business qualities were necessary to enable him to carry out his plans. These he fortunately possessed, and he was not only able to carry himself through college, but also to lend material aid to his brother-in-law in obtaining a collegiate education. During the meantime, he followed various occupations, but ever kept up with his studies, and in the spring of 1873 graduated at the Toronto School of Medicine, and commenced practice in Woodstock, Ont. In the spring of 1877, he returned to the State of Michigan and two years after removed to Newaygo County and settled in Woodville, where he remained until the spring of 1883, when he moved to Fremont, where he resided, and was practicing his profession.
Sept. 29, 1870, Dr. Breckon was married in Burlington, Halton Co., Ont., to Martha, daughter of Edward and Mary Calvert, natives of Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Breckon have had one child, Bertha L., born Nov. 26, 1871, and died June 31, 1878. They were members of the Methodist Church. The doctor was a member of the Masonic Order, and also President of the Oxford Liberal Association of Canada, and was one of the leading practitioners of medicine in Newaygo County.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers