FRANCIS F. HALL, farmer, section 21, Garfield Township, was born in Gainesville, Wyoming Co., N.Y., July 14, 1831, and is a son of Francis B. and Electa Hall. His father was born Feb. 18, 1799, in Vermont, and died Jan. 22, 1862, at Marengo, Ill. The mother was born May 23, 1808, in New York, and died Dec. 20, 1878, in Pavilion, Kalamazoo Co., Mich.
The parents of Mr. Hall went, when he was about three years of age, to Pendleton, Niagara Co., N.Y., where they resided until 1838. In October of that year they removed to Pavilion Township, Kalamazoo County, where his father bought 40 acres of land. The family were in rather straitening circunstances, and Mr. Hall did all in his power toward their maintenance and comfort for some years. At 22, he went to Arkansas, and was variously employed in and near Napoleon for five years, when he returned to Michigan, and joined his father's family at Marengo Prairie, Cass County, whither they had removed in his absence. He assisted on the homestead until 1859, when, in company with four others, he started to cross the plains. On reaching Fort Kearney they disbanded, and Mr. Hall proceded to Kansas, where he passed a summer, going thence to New Orleans. In March, 1860, he came North as far as Laclede Co., Mo., and engaged as engineer in a saw and grist mill until fall, when he returned home. In the spring of 1861 he went to Brady, Kalamazoo County, where, associated with his brother, William H. Hall, he rented a saw-mill, which he managed successfully about a year.
Mr. Hall was married Feb. 2, 1862, at Prairieville, Barry Co., Mich., to Mrs. Sylvia J. Glass, daughter of Curtis and Lorinda (Vangilder) Lewis, born at Leroy, Genesee Co., N.Y. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have six children: Allison A., Francis M., Wilber W., Benjamin B., Charles C., Harry H. and Robert R. In March, 1862, Mr. Hall moved to Galesburg, Mich., where he bought a house and lot and was variously employed until January, 1864, when he rented the saw-mill he had previously managed in Brady. He continued to conduct the lumber business until February, 1865, when he enlisted in Co. L, Sixth Mich. Cav., Capt. Chipman. He was mustered out March 26, 1866, at Fort Bridger, Utah.
He came to Newaygo County in December, 1866, and bought 120 acres of land in what is now Garfield Township. It was all in its original condition, and Mr. Hall has cleared 60 acres and put it under good improvement. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace four years, School Director five years, and School Inspector two years. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, NO. 131, at Newaygo, and belongs to the Patrons of Husbandry.