PHILIP A. HARRISON, surveyor, resident at Croton, was born June 23, 1824, in Steuben Co., N.Y., and was a son of James and Elizabeth (Ennis) Harrison. The father was of English extraction and was born in April, 1791, in New York. He died in 1878, in Seneca Co., Ohio. The mother was a descendant of Scotch ancestors, and was born in 1803 in New Jersey. She died in April, 1848.
Mr. Harrison was trained for his contest in life under the supervision of his parents, and remained with them a year after his marriage, when he commenced an independent career. He bought 80 acres of land in Reed, Seneca Co., Ohio, and conducted in that place his agricultiral operations until 1850, when he sold his estate there and came to Ottawa Co., Mich., in company with his father. He purchased a farm, whereon he operated two and a half years, sold out and went to Casnovia Township, where he bought 80 acres of land. Afte 18 months he again disposed of his property, and in 1855 came to Croton Township for a permanent settlement. He bought a farm containing 240 acres, situted on sections 22 and 23, where he operated successfully. In October, 1865, he retired from active agricultiral life, and resides upon his property in Croton village. He has been a resident of Croton Township 28 years and during that time has been active in official life continuously, with the exception of one yer. He served as Deputy Sheriff of Newaygo County two years, has been Clerk and Justice of the Peace 12 years; has officiated as School INspector, Commissioner of Highways, Constable and Supervisor. In political connection he is a member of the Greenback element, is interested in all political movements, and is at present Village Recorder, Justice of the Peace and School Inspector.
Mr. Harrison was married Feb. 4, 1844, in Seneca Co., Ohio, to Sarah Bennett, who was born April 18, 1825, in Steuben Co., N.Y., and ws the daughter of Isaac H. and Sally (Cassidy) Bennett, the former a native of New Jersey, born April 23, 1800. The latter was born in 1802, in New York and died in 1877. Mrs. Harrison died Oct. 23, 1865, having become the mother of eight children, born in the following order: Bennett I., James G. (dec.), Electa S. (dec.), Samuel D., Worth, John F.., Mary and Lyman P. The second marriage of Mr. Harrison to Emily Pettingill occurred Oct. 4, 1870, at Morley, Mecosta Co., Mich. Her parents, Benjamin and Electa (Nichols) Pettingill, were natives of the State of New York. The former was born in 1803, of English extraction, and died in 1879. The mother was born in 1806, and is still alive. Mrs. Harrison was born April 1, 1836, in Ingham Co., Mich. Two children, Eudora C. and Gertie L., constituted the issue of her marriage with Mr. Harrison.