JAMES F. HART, Fremont, was born in Allen Co., Ind., May 1, 1840. His parents were Stephen and Hannah (Gillett) Hart, the former a native of Massachusetts and the latter of New York. Soon after their marriage they settled in Ohio, and then went to Allen County, Ind., where they passed the remainder of their days. J.F. lived ta home until 22 years of age, and then came to Muskegon, Mich., where he lived 12 years, engaged in lumbering. He then worked one year in Holton, same county, and in the spring of 1876 came to Newaygo County. He first located at Worcester Station, where he lived about seven months, and in the following fall came to Fremont and engaged in the liquor business for George Schweitzer one and a half years. He then went to Croton, where he was engaged in the same business about eight months, and then returned to Fremont and formed a partnership with Franklin M. Bowman, under the name of Hart & Bowman, for the purpose of carrying on the liquor trade. Two years later they added the livery business, and still carry them on together. In the spring of 1883 they began the erection of a fine block, known as Music Hall, on North Division street, which is already completed.
When Mr. Hart commenced business he had very little means; but by industry and frugality, and close attention to business, he has acquired a nice property. He was married in Allen Co., Ind., to Catherine Cope, a native of Pennsylvania, and they have had seven children, six of whom are living: Joseph F., Frank, Willie, Bertie, Jack and Mortimer; Eugene died when 9 months old. Politically, Mr. Hart is a Democrat.