Hiram Jones was born in the State of Yew York, Jan. 16, 1833. His parents, Sullivan and Phebe (Billings) Jones, were natives of Massachusetts and settled in the State of New York, where the father died in 1880. The mother resides in Tioga County on a farm owned by her son, Hiram. The latter lived at home until 19 years of age, when he went to Pennsylvania and engaged in shingle-making, an occupation he followed for ten years. In the spring of 1863 he came to Newaygo. He first worked for a. man by the name of Blake, and was afterward employed by the Newaygo Lumber Company, remaining with them seven years. He then engaged in business for himself, speculating n lumber, etc., until the fall of 1872, when he came to Fremont and engaged in lumbering and farming. He bought 320 acres of partly improved land, 220 acres being located in Sheridan Township. He then engaged in the manufacture of broom-handles and cant-hooks, and is still following that occupation. He is general real-estate agent for the Empire Company of Muskegon.
In 1883 Mr. Jones formed a partnership with J H. Keith, under 1he firm name of J. H. Keith & Co in the wine and liquor business in the village of Fremont. He was married in Grand Rapids, Aug. 19, 1873, to Mrs. Ann (Cotely) Valiet, a native of New York. He has held the office of Village Councilman two years; has often been urged to accept different offices, but invariably declines. In politics, he is a Democrat.