Jacob Barnhard, the son of Simon Barnhard and Sarah Cole was born on September 29, 1809 in Fairfield County, Ohio. He married Sarah Hyland , daughter of Edward and Mary Hyland, in March of 1832 in Ohio. Sarah died in 1836 in Sandusky County, Ohio. Jacob and Sarah had two children, Horatio and John. Jacob Barnhard died February 2, 1888 and is buried in Bull Cemetery in Newaygo County, Michigan.
Jacob's children were:
1. Horatio Barnhard born 1833/4 and died 8/29/1862 in Civil War. He had married
Phoebe J. Stone and had one child.
2. John Barnhard born November 18, 1836 and died November 27, 1915. He married
first, Maryette Stone and next, May Thompson.
3. Sarah Ann Barnhard born May 13, 1841 and died September 21, 1925. She married
1. Williard Wilder; 2. Andrew Stone; 3. James Stoddard.
4. Nancy Jane Barnhard born December 4, 1842 and died July 25, 1874. She married
5. Simon Peter Barnhard born November 9, 1844 and died May 24, 1913. He married
Sarah Augusta Randolph.
6. Thomas Barnhard died as a young child.
7. Sylvanus Barnhard born 1849 and died in 1860. Buried in Bull Cemetery.
8. Margaret S. Barnhard born 1851, MI. Married John Randolph, brother of Sarah Randolph who married Simon Peter, Margaret's brother.
9. Jonathon R. Barnhard born 1852, MI. married on July 3, 1875 to Ella L. Howard and
moved to California.
The last seven children were the children of Jacob and his second wife, Lucinda Reed, who was born in Huron Co., OH on February 24, 1820 and married Jacob on June 21, 1840. Lucinda was the daughter of James and Nancy Ann (Rowley) Reed and the sister of Sylvanus Reed who married Jacob's sister, Harriet Barnhard, in the first marriage recorded in Newaygo Co., Michigan.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers