MRS. JULIA JARSE, proprietress of the Jarse House at Newaygo, was born st St. Mary's, Canada, Jan. 1, 1821, and is the daughter of Peter and Margaret LeMay. The parents were of pure French descent. Her father removed to Burlington, Vt., when she was 12 years old, where he engaged in farming about ten years, returning to Canada with his wife, where both remained during the closing years of their lives. The daughter was married at Vergennes, Vt., Dec. 1, 1838, to John Bailey, a native of Three Rivers, Can. By this marriage she became the mother of five children - Julia, Rosa, Josephine, John and Joseph. Mr. Basiley died in 1850, and not long after that event she went with her children to Glens Falls, Washington Co., N.Y., and after a widowhood of three years was married, JUly 4, 1853, to David Jarse. He was of French lineage and a native of Montreal. In 1854 Mr. Jarse came to Michigan with his family and settled at Newaygo, where he operated about ten years as a saw-filer. In 1865 he built a commodious house, which was utilized as a boarding-house until its destruction by fire in April, 1883. Mr. Jarse died in 1875. The burning of her house with no insurance involved a loss of $4,000, and Mrs. Jarse rebuilt with as little delay as was possible. The new structure is a handsome edifice, built of brick, at an expenditure of $5,000 and contains quarters for the accommodation of 30 guests. Mrs. Jarse owns, besides the hotel and two lots on which it stands, a residence and once acre of ground in the village, and 80 acres of farming land in the township of Garfield. She has one son, John Bailey (see sketch), in business at Newaygo.