GEORGE B. JONES, farmer, section 15, Barton Township, was born in Tioga Co., N.Y., Nov. 5, 1845, and is a son of James and Sophronia (Stanton) Jones. His father was born Oct. 15, 1805, in Broome Co., N.Y., and was, by calling a wagon-maker. In 1857 he located in Big Rapids, Mecosta County, and there followed his occupation until his death, which occurred May 8, 1881. The mother was a native of Tioga Co., N.Y., and died Feb. 14, 1857. The family were among the early settlers of Mecosta County.
Mr. Jones obtained his elementary education at the common schoold, and was afterward a student at Williams College. He came to Mecosta County June 14, 1858, and for several years was variously engaged. He enlisted at Newaygo, Feb. 22, 1862, in the Third Mich. Cav. Co. E., Col. John K. Misner, and was in the service until March 22, 1866. Among the many actions in which he participated were Farmington, Corinth, Hendersonville, Broomville, Bay Springs, Oxford, Coffeeville, Tallahatchie River, Panola, Jackson, Tenn., where the rebels were routed and 300 stands of arms and 250 prisoners captured. At the close of the war Mr. Jones returned to Michigan, engaging as a land prospector. In 1869 he built a livery barn at Big Rapids, managed the business one year, and sold to Joseph Cook. He resumed his former pursuit of "land-looker," which has been his occupation since that period. He became a resident of Barton Township in 1873.
Mr. Jones was married May 10, 1871, at Grand Rapids, to Mary, daughter of Francis and Mary (Carrigan) Tower, a native of Toronto, Can., where she was born April 3, 1847. Following are the names of the five children of Mr. and Mrs. Jones: James F., Mary S., William B., John E. and Charlotte. Mr. Jones is an adherent to the tenets of the Republican party.