GEORGE LENTZ, merchant at Croton village, was born Aug. 14, 1837, in Prussia, Germany. His parents, Joseph and Adelaide (Stuttgen) Lentz, were also born in that country, the former in 1808, and the latter in 1810. In 1856 they emigrated to the New World and settled in Richfield, Washington Co., Wis., where they are yet resident.
Mr. Lentz was sent to school according to the law of his native country, until he was 16 years old. He remained in Wisconsin one year, and in 1858 came to Newaygo County, when he spent 14 winters in the lumber woods. He was in the employ of J.F. Gauweiler seven years as clerk in his mercantile establishment, and operated three years in the same capacity with G. and A. Truesdale. In 1879, associated with Charles Merritt, he embarked in a mercantile enterprise, which has proved a successful venture. They carry a finely assorted stock of general merchandise, worth $6,000, with yearly transactions aggregating $15,000.
Mr. Lentz owns a house and two lots in Croton, and is a Democrat in political belief and action. In religious faith he is a Roman Catholic.
He was married in 1847, in Croton, to Martha, daughter of David N. and Charlotte (Culp) Tucker, both Canadians in origin. Three children born of this union are living, - Charlotte, Eddie and George A.