L. L. Cavender, merchant at Croton, was born Aug. 14, 1840, in Leoni, Jackson Co., Mich. His parents were Dennis and Mary (Burch) Cavender; the former was born in 1818, in Ireland, and died in 1873 in Croton. The mother was born in 1828, of Scotch parentage, in Tioga Co., N. Y.
Mr. Cavender was a resident of Jackson County until he was 15 years old, when he came to Newaygo County. He passed the years between 1855 and 186- in various occupations to secure a livelihood. In 186- he enlisted in Co. H, Third Mich. Vol. Inf., Col. Pierce. He enrolled for three years and was in much active service. At the battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, he was severely wounded and lost his left foot. He was sent tot he hospital at Washington, where he remained six months, and after receiving his discharge he was appointed Government Policeman, and acted as such at the Patent Office building for five years. In 1870 he came back to Croton and was variously engaged until he embarked in his present enterprise. He engaged a part of the time in farming, and managed a livery stable and stage and mail route. He operated three years as mail contractor. His stock of goods includes drugs, notions, hardware, groceries, tinware and clothing, and his patronage is constant and gradually extending. He belongs to the National party and has served two terms as Constable.
Mr. Cavender was married Jan. 5, 1868, to Mary, daughter of Dennis and Annie Brady, both of whom were born in Ireland. Mrs. Cavender was born Dec. 28, 1844, in Baltimore, Md. Four children were born of her marriage to Mr. Cavender, all living. They are, Eugene, Annie, Elsie and May Belle.