JOHN McFARLAND, farmer, section 13, Barton Township, was born in Kentire, Scotland, in 1825. His parents, Andrew and Margaret (Gray) McFarland, were also natives of Scotland. They emigrated to Canada when the son was but a child. They belonged to the agricultural community and pursued the same calling in Canada. The father is deceased and the mother, now 90 years of age, resides in Mecosta County.
Mr. McFarland was brought up as a farmer's son, and in 1852 came to Michigan and spent three years operating as a lumberman near Big Prairie, Newaygo County. He went thence to Green Township, Mecosta County, in 1855, and remained five years. His next business was in managing a hotel at Middle Branch, where he was occupied two years, and exchanged the hotel property for a farm of 80 acres in Barton Township, which has since been his homestead. It was the first farm located and settled in the township, and at the time he came into its possession there were few permanent settlers, and the entire region was but little advanced from its primitive condition. Mr. McFarland is a Republican.
He was married Dec. 25, 1860, to Mrs. Elizabeth (Gibson) Tirk, daughter of John and Nancy (Penrod) Gibson, natives of Pennsylvania. Her first husband died in 1849, leaving four children, - John Morgan, Samuel Harris, Mary Elizabeth and Martha Jane. The latter child is not living. Of the marriage of Mr. McFarland to Mrs. Tirk, three children have been born, viz: Nancy and Peter Alexander, living and Margaret Jane, deceased.