JAMES H. McKEE, photographer at Newaygo, was born at Kingston, Ont., Oct. 8, 1842, and is a son of James H. and Eleanor (McCormick) McKee. The parents were natives of Ireland, born of Scotch parentage. They emigrated to Canada, where the father pursued his business as a merchant tailor, settling about 1844 in Toronto, where he died in 1859, aged 46 years. The mother died at the age of 42 years at the same place.
Mr. McKee spent the years of his minority in and about Toronto, attending school, clerking in a store and working as a farm assistant. In 1864 he came to Michigan and found employment in a saw-mill in Croton, Newaygo Co. A year later he came to Newaygo village and worked some time with the Newaygo Lumber Company. His first independent business venture was the purchase of a steam saw-mill, and in this transaction he was associated with R. D. Davis. They continued its management three years, when Mr. McKee again entered the service of the Newaygo Lumber Company, acting in various capacities. In 18-- he was appointed Deputy County Clerk under Sanford Brown, and served 18 months. In 18-- he became Under-Sheriff with George Utley, and in 18-- succeeded to the post of Village Marshal of Newaygo. In October, 1874, he established himself in the mercantil business, locating opposite the old Brooks House, and operated there until 1878, when he transferred his stock to the opposite side of the street. He closed his commerial affairs, and in 1881 founded the business in which he is at present engaged. He bought the building where he operates and added the necessary fixtures for the prosecution of his art.
Mr. McKee was married at Newaygo, Jan. 13, 1876, to Jessie E., daughter of Elijah S. and Harriet Bennett, born in Portage, Livingston Co., Mich. One child, Grace E., is living. James H. and C. Irving are deceased. Mr. McKee is a member of the Masonic Order. He owns, besides his place of business, other property within the village corporation.