JAMES McLEOD, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel at White Cloud, si the son of Alexander and Nancy (Campbell) McLeod, and was born June 15, 1843, in Russell Co., Can. His parents were natives of Scotland, came to Canada in the first years of their married life, and there resided until their deaths.
Mr. McLeod has been a resident of Newaygo County since he attained to the period of his legal freedom. He resided at Newaygo five years, and was variously occupied while there. He removed to Sherman Township, where he became the proprietor of 80 acres of unimproved land, and of this he cleared 40 acres. In the fall of 1873, he came to White Cloud, and opened the White Cloud Hotel, which he conducted seven years; and on selling out he built the home where he has since been angaged in ministering to the wants of the traveling public. In his capacity of landlord he must be recorded as the pioneer, as he gave the first meal as a public host in the village of White Cloud. He is independent in politics, and has held the post of Councilman. He is a member of the fraternity of Odd Fellows.
He has had five children, three of whom survive, born as follows: David L., Sept. 29, 1863; Laura, March 22, 1868; and Archie, June 7, 1881.