WINFIELD S. MERRILL, farmer, section 17, Ashland Township, was born Jan. 7, 1851, in Bridgeton Township, Newaygo County. He is a son of Isaac D. and Augusta (McKinny) Merrill, who were born in Maine. They were married in their native State and came to Michigan. After sepnding some time in the lumber woods on the Grand River they located in Muskegon County, coming later to Newaygo, where they resided a few months and went to Bridgeton making the first settlement on Sand Creek in that township.
Mr. Merrill passed the first 18 years of his life on his father's farm and operating in his saw-mill, devoting every leisure moment to the cultivation of a naturally gifted mind, studying in the common schools until September, 1868, when he went to Ithaca, N.Y., to enter Cornell University, where he studied three terms in the scientific course. Returning to Michigan, he became a teacher in the public schools of Muskegon and Newaygo Counties. He continued to make this his profession for some years, during which he officiated as County Surveyor. He has also devoted mcuh time to making preparations to follow the calling of a farmer.
He was married May 26, 1875, to Orinda M., daughter of D. H. and Maria (Page) Scott, born respectively in Ohio and England. Mrs. Merrill was born dec. 4, 1856, in La Grange Co., Ind., and was educated in her native country, and spent some years as a teacher.
After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Merrill loved on the farm in Bridgeton two years, and in 1877 located in Ashland Township, on 80 acres of stump land. Besides the fulfillment of his obligations as teacher and surveyor, Mr. Merrill has thoroughly improved 30 acres of his farm. Mr. and Mrs. M. have one child, - Karl G., who was born Nov. 9, 1882. Mr. Merrill is a zealous and influential adherent to the principles of the Republican party, and has held the offices of Supervisor of the township, acted as School Superintendent two years, and has also served as School Inspector. He is a member of Blue Lodge No. 131, at Newaygo, and himself and wife are connected with Grange No. 545, at Ashland Center, of which he is Secretary. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Baptist Church, and was County Surveyor two terms - from 1872 to 1874, and from 1880 to 1882.