D. MILLARD, merchant, Newaygo, was born March 5, 1832, in Allegany Co., N.Y. and is a son of John and Polly (Doud) Millard. The father was a carpenter and joiner, and taught his son the details of the trade. The latter pursued the business during summers and engaged in lumbering winters until he came ot Michigan, which was in the fall of 1857.
On coming to this State our subject settled in Clinton County and was occupied there until 1860 in farming. He then came to Newaygo and engaged as a sawyer in the mill of the Newaygo Lumber Company, where he remained until 1863, when he began to operate as a contractor, putting in pine timber. He bought 80 acres of pine land and operated on his own account for a time. In 1866 he opened a meat market, which branch of trade he operated eight years, when he added a grocery and provision department, and afterwards ready-made clothing and gentlemen's furnishing goods. His stock is valued at $1,500 and he transacts an annual business of about $7,000. He owns his store building and residence. He has served as Township Clerk two years and Under-Sheriff two years.
Mr. Millard was married in Allegany Co., N.Y., Nov. 3, 1854 to Phebe E., daughter of Dewitt C. and Mary A. Hyde, a native of Allegany County.