GEORGE A. MILLS, farmer, section 20, Sherman Township, is a son of Stillman and Joanna (Harrington) Mills, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York; and was born in New York, April 20, 1845. At the age of 12 years he went to live with a brother, whre he remained until he was 17, and
Sept. 15, 1862, he enlisted in the 149th N.Y. Reg., and served till June 12, 1865, receiving an honorable discharge at Bladensburgh, Md. Owing to serious sickness he was confined to the hospital for some time, and was then detailed on detached service at Philadelphis. He afterwards rejoined his regiment in Tennessee and remained until his discharge. He returned to New York, and was employed in a paper mill nearly four years. In the fall of 1869 he came to Hillsdale County, this State, and worked for his brother-in-law one year, and afterward rented a farm three years. In the spring of 1864 he came to Newaygo County and purchased 80 acres of partly improved land in Sherman Township, where he now resides, and has about 45 acres under the plow.
Mr. Mills was married in Auburn, N.Y., Aug. 20, 1867, to Esther A., daughter of George C. and Esther (Wilkins) Haward, the fomer a native of New Hampshire and the latter of Massachusetts, and she was born in Mendon, Monroe Co., N.Y., Dec. 17, 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are the parents of one child, BUrton H., orn Oct. 15, 1873. In politics Mr. M. is a Republican.