WILLIAM H. NORTON, farmer, section 1, Sheridan Township, was born in Maine, Sept. 3, 1834. His parents were Samuel and Charlotte (Waugh) Norton, who were natives of Maine, where they still reside. At the age of 21 he enlisted in the Regular Army, serving five years. When the War of the Rebellion broke out he was in San Francisco, Cal., and in August, 1861, he enlisted in the 1st Reg. Cal. Vol, Inf., and served over three years. While stationed at Fort Yuma, Cal., he was injured in the back while on guard duty, which laid him up six months. His regiment was engaged most of the time in fighting Indians.
After his discharge he returned to the East, and in April, 1865, came to Newaygo County. The following May he came to Sheridan Township and purchased 73 acres of land, mostly wild, where he now resides: about 30 acres are under cultivation. He was married in Fremont Oct. 24, 1867, to Rose Ann Pitman, of Dayton Township, and they have two children: Lincoln G. and Braford S. Mrs. Norton died in February, 1874, and April 1, 1876, in Sheridan Township, he married Cornelia Knowlton, widow of William Douglas, who died in 1872, leaving five children: Ida M., Alice S., Mary S., Nettie B. and Ora D. Mr. Norton is a member of Henry Dobson Post, No. 172, G.A.R., at Fremont, and in politics is a National.