GUY C. POND, merchant, Aetna village, was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., July 4, 1812. His parents were Levi and Samantha (Lawrence) Pond, natives of New England, who moved to New York in a very early day. He was brought by his parents to this State, and they located at Brockport, Livingston County, where he was reared and educated. When 16 years old he was apprenticed to Mr. Mitchell C. Gardner, of that place, to learn the blacksmith trade, where he remained three and a half years. After this he established a general blacksmith shop of his own in the town where he had learned his trade, and ta the same time gained a reputation as a skilled workman. He worked at his trade 15 years, then moved to Detroit and opened a grocery, and afterward, to Capac, St. Clair County, where he carried on a general store on an extensive scale for over three years, when he had the misfortune to lose his whole stock and store by fire. He then moved to Cedar Creek, Muskegon County, and followed farming nearly four years. In January, 1869, he moved to Aetna, where he worked at his trade until 1882, and then opened a store of general merchandise.
June 27, 1838, he was married, in the village of Brighton, to Miss Laura Roe, daughter of James and Rebecca (Arnold) Roe, natives of Connecticut, who was born in New York, July 7, 1809. She was educated in Ontario Co., N.Y., and came with her parents to this State. She died January 7, 1850, at her home in Brighton, leaving two children, Caroline H. and Levi; Mortimer and Charles died in infancy. March 15, 1850, Mr. Pond married Mrs. Francis M. (Hutchinson) McDonald, who was born in Connecticut Jan. 13, 1806. She is now 77 years of age; remarkably active, does her housework and attends to customers in the store. Mr. Pond is an active member of the Masonic Order, No. 180, at Fremont; has held the office of Justice of the Peace six consecutive years, Notary Public 25 years and still holds that position, and Deputy Sheriff two terms. In politics he is a Republican.