||Philip H. Weaver
Philip H. Weaver, miller, and farmer on sec. 30, Dayton Township, was a son of Daniel and Emily, (Salisbury) Weaver, natives of New York, and was born in Lenawee Co., Mich., Feb. 22 1834. When he was five years of age his parents moved upon a farm in Hillsdale County, where he lived until he attained his majority. During this time he alternated between working on the farm and attending school. In 1855 his father moved to Newaygo County and settled in Dayton Township, on the present site of the village of Fremont.
Mr. Weaver was married, April 13, 1856, to Mary E., daughter of Ezra and Cynthia (Philips) Dickinson, natives of Connecticut, and she was born in DeKalb Co., Ind., April 30, 1838. She moved to Defiance Co., Ohio, with her parents when she was quite young, where she received her education. They then returned to Indiana, and after a lapse of two years moved to Newaygo County, this State, settling in what is now Fremont.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Weaver settled on a farm Mr. Weaver had previously purchased, in Dayton Township, on section 32. He put many improvements upon the farm, and in the spring of 1864 they returned to Fremont, living there and working on the farm until May, 1, 1873, when they moved to Hesperia, where they lived until they died, running a saw-mill and working his farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Weaver had five children: Emma A., born Jan. 26, 1857; Ella L., June 22, 1858; Lettie A., May 4, 1861; Leland S., Aug. 31, 1863; Mabel F., Jan. 15, 1879; Lucy M., an adopted daughter, was born March 27, 1873. Mr. Weaver was a member of the Chapter R.A.M., of Newaygo and Hesperian Lodge, No. 246. He was the first Clerk of the original township of Fremont, and held various school offices. In politics he was an active Greenbacker. Mrs. Weaver was a zealous member of the First-Day Advent Church.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers