LOUIS REINHOLDT, farmer, section 16, Ashland Township, was born Aug. 28, 1827, in the city of Hamm, Prussia. His parents, John H. and Clarissa (Heinunk) Reinoldt, were natives of the same place, where the father was a brewer. He worked under the directions of his father until he was 14 years old, when he engaged with a man in the distillery business in his native place, with whom he remained two years. In 1843 he set out to travel through Europe, to visit the leading establishments on the continent of a similar character and to perfect his knowledge of the business of a brewer. He visited many of the principal cities and took thorough instructions in the details of his calling. He returned in February, 1847, and became foreman in his father's distillery, which position he retained until August, 1848. In that yer he emigrated to the United States and located on a farm in the vicinity of Rochester, N.Y. Later he made a trip to Detroit, Milwaukee and Cincinnati, returning to Rochester, where he entered upon an engagement in a brewery and later in the wholesale liquor establishment of J. H. Martin. He finally resorted to the occupation of farmer, and was married Nov. 18, 1852, in Monroe County, N.Y., to Polly, daughter of Louis and Catherine (Byer) Baker, the former, a native of Germany and the latter of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Reinoldt was born Aug. 1, 1835, in Greece, MOnroe County, where she grew to womanhood and was married. Mr. Reinoldt pursued agriculture there until the fall of 1855, when he came to Michigan and managed a farm in the vicinity of Detroit three years, coming thence to Newaygo County. He purchased 40 acres of unimproved land, to which he has added 80 acres by subsequent purchase, and has cleared and otherwise improved 95 acres, placing it in a highly creditable condition with handsome house and barn. the family includes eight children: John H., Frank, Harvey L, MOritz, Fred, Peter, George and Mary; Sophia is deceased.
Mr. Reinoldt lends his influence to the Greenback party, and is an active member of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, Grange No. 545, at Ashland Center. He was its first Master and has been an officer since its institution. He also belongs to the Order of Good Templars.