MELVIN W. SCOTT, section 6, Dayton Township, is a son of Samuel and Rhoda (Judd) Scott, and was born in Leroy, Genesee Co., N.Y., June 16, 1829. His parents were natives of Berkshire Co., Mass., were married in that State, and removed to Genesee Co., N.Y. in 1814. His father was a tailor by trade and follwed this occupation during his life. He died in Hartford, Conn., whither he had gone for his health. His wife removed to Oakland Co., Mich., and lived with her children until her death.
Melvin W. attended the common schools of his native State until 18 years of age. He then worked on a farm by the month until he was 21 years of age, when he came to Michigan and lived in Oakland County, where he was engaged in farming and teaching school about three years. He then removed to Ottawa County and purchased 80 acres of wild land. This he improved during the sumer season, and taught school winters for three years. In the spring of 1856 he sold his farm and located 160 acres of land on section 6, Dayton Township, this county, under the Graduation Act. The season following he moved his family to Newaygo, and in the spring of 1857 settled upon his new farm, where he still resides.
Mr. Scott was married in Pontiac, Oakland Co., Mich., Nov. 3, 1852, to Martha M., daughter of Nathaniel and Mary Collins, natives of Masachusetts and New York, respectively, and she was born in Rochester, N.Y., Nov. 9, 1829. Mr. and Mrs.. Scott have had four children. He has formerly been identified with the Republican party, but of late years sympathizes with the National party.