ANDREW T. SQUIER, lumberman, residing at Grant Station, Ashland Township, was born Feb. 22, 1832, in Washington Co., N.Y. His parents, John and Mary (Lampman) Squier, were natives of the same county, and descendants from English and Dutch ancestors. They removed, in 1841, to Monroe Co., N.Y., and located on a farm. In the fall of 1848, they came to Michigan, settling near Coldwater, Branch County.
In January 1850, Mr. Squier came to Newaygo County, where he has since, with the exception of a comparitively brief interval, devoted his attention and abilities to lumbering. He spent three terms at school at Girard, Branch Co., Mich., and afterward attended Eastman's Business College at Chicago to complete his education. With that interruption he has devoted himself to the exclusive pursuit of his business interests in Newaygo County. In 1872 he made a permanent location in Ashland Township, where he is prosecuting the various departments of lumbering, including the management of a saw and shingle mill at Grant Station, which has a capacity of producing daily 20,000 feet of lumber and 30,000 shingles. He also owns 900 acres of land in Newaygo County, 600 of which is stocked with pine and not yet changed from its primitive state.
Mr. Squier is a Democrat in political sentiment and action. He is a prominent member of the Masonic bodies of Newaygo, belonging to the Royal Arch Chapter and Blue Lodge, No. 331. In the latter he holds the position of Treasurer. He has been the incumbent of most of the official positions in his township; has been Supervisor seven years in Ashland and Bridgeton Townships, and School Inspector many terms. He was married Nov. 24, 1870, at Dowagiac, Mich., to Myra L., daughter of A.L. and Myra (Fair) Rich. She was born Aug. 24, 1845, in Macomb Co., where he parents were married. They came of New England origin, and were descendants from English and Scotch-Irish ancestors. When the daughter was 14 years old, the family moved to Will Co., Ill., and in the spring of 1869 returned to Michigan, locating in Cass County. The record of the five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Squier is as follows: Cora L., Nov. 10, 1871; Laura N., Feb. 22, 1874; Andrew T., May 12, 1876; Alice L., Jan. 5, 1879 (died Sept. 14, 1881); an infant, born Oct. 3, 1882, died five days afterwards.