||Solomon V. Walker
Solomon V. Walker, farmer, section 5, Dayton Township, was a son of Elias and Eveline (Griswold) Walker, and was born in Berrien Co., Mich., Aug. 20, 1838. His father was a native of Vermont and his mother of New York. They were married in the latter State, and moved to Berrien County about the year 1833, where his father purchased a tract of good land, which he cleared, and remained there until the death of his wife; after which event he sold his farm and moved to Van Buren County, bought another farm, and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1856.
Solomon V. was educated in the common schools, and remained at home until 22 years of age. He then worked on a farm by the month, and in the woods, lumbering, for two years. In the spring of 1859 he came to Newaygo County and purchased 80 acres of Government land under the Gradation Act, and soon after returned to Berrien County, remaining only one summer. He continued to improve his land, working during the fall and winter months, for three years. He had added, by purchase, 120 acres, for a total 200 acres of good farm land, 125 which was well cultivated. He was married in Berrien County, Aug. 1, 1862, to Nannie M., daughter of James and Mary (Mellor) Dean, who was born in England, March 8, 1841. Her parents were also natives of England; they came to America in 1839 and settled in Pennsylvania, and afterward moved to Berrien Co., Mich.
Mrs. Walker remained at home until her marriage, with the exception of two years, when she was engaged in teaching. Mr. and Mrs. Walker had seven children: Mary E., Margaret E., Charles V., Elenora J., Alice I., Solomon J., and George E.
On Sept. 2, 1864, Mr. Walker enlisted in the 21st Reg. Mich. Inf., and served until the close of the war, receiving an honorable discharge June 8, 1865. He was with Sherman in his celebrated march to the sea, and in the battle of Bentonville, N.C. He held the office of Highway Commissioner three years, School Director several years; was elected Justice of the Peace but declined to serve. He was elected Supervisor of Dayton Township in the spring of 1883. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a charter member of Hesperian Grange, P. of H., No. 495; he was chosen the first Master. In politics he sympathized with the National party.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers