||Thomas C. Grundy
Thomas C. Grundy, farmer, section 6, Dayton Township, was the son of James and Ann (Pickles) Grundy, natives of England, and was born June 20, 1839. He lived with his parents until about 16 years of age, and was then apprenticed, for seven years, to learn the trade of carpenter and joiner. After the expiration of his apprenticeship he turned his attention to the ministry, which engaged him for five years, in the meantime being licensed to preach, but was not ordained until he came to America. He left his native country in the summer of 1867, and settled in Coldwater, Branch Co., Mich., where he followed his trade a part of the time and occasionally preached the gospel.
He remained at Coldwater but a few months, when he went to Burr Oak, where he remained for a year, then to Reading, Hillsdale County, where he was ordained a minister of the M. E. Church. After preaching one year at Reading, he moved to Osseo, in the same county, and at the expiration of his engagement there came to Fremont, this county, where he preached one year, after which he left the Conference.
In the spring of 1874, Mr. Grundy returned to England, and after spending a few months in the native county, came back to Newaygo County and purchased 162 acres of partly improved land, where he resided. He was married in England, August 1864, to Ann, daughter of Rev. Thomas and Elizabeth (Cartwright) Eckersley, also natives of England, and where their daughter Ann was born, and lived until her marriage with Mr. Grundy. In politics, Mr. Grundy sympathized with the National party.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers